IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
edited March 2020 in Character Details
2020-01-04-Mister-Sinister-NC-NC-FBpng

Mister Sinister (Nathaniel Essex)

5-Star Rarity (Epic)
Villains
blacktilepng purpletilepng bluetilepng

"Unburdened by morality, Mister Sinister will stop at nothing to understand genetic mutation. Using his vast array of powers and superior intellect, Mister Sinister concocts convoluted multi-decade plans to achieve his goals. Operating in the shadows, Mister Sinister steps into the fray only when absolutely necessary.”

(Abilities listed at level 255, followed by 450)
16660 Health / 66964 Health
yellowtilepng 21 |  22 | bluetilepng 144 | purpletilepng 164 | greentilepng 24 |blacktilepng 184 |  91 |  3.5x
yellowtilepng 80 |  87 | bluetilepng 574 | purpletilepng 656 | greentilepng 94 |blacktilepng 738 |  365 |  3.5x

Original Sinister - blacktilepng PASSIVE
(PASSIVE) Mister Sinister gleefully tosses one of his clones into the line of fire. If an enemy would deal 1735 or more damage and the friendly team has at least 3 Black AP, drain 3 friendly Black AP, prevent up to 1215 damage, and create 2 Trap tiles that deal 417 damage when matched by either team. (Max level - Procs on 6975 or more damage, prevent 4883 damage, tiles deal 1674 damage)
  • Level 2: Prevents up to 1284 damage; Trap tile deals 497 damage. (Max level - Prevent 5162 damage, tiles deal 1995 damage)
  • Level 3: Prevents up to 1389 damage; Trap tile deals 551 damage. (Max level - Prevent 5581 damage, tiles deal 2214 damage)
  • Level 4: Prevents up to 1562 damage; Trap tile deals 689 damage. (Max level - Prevent 6278 damage, tiles deal 2767 damage)
  • Level 5: Prevents up to 1736 damage if the team has 2 Black AP; drains 2 Black AP. (Max level - Prevent 6976 damage)
Sinister Secrets - purpletilepng PASSIVE
(PASSIVE) Mister Sinister's schemes account for all externalities. Whenever an enemy fires a power, Mister Sinister creates 1 Trap tile. If the enemy has 7 or more AP in a Sinister Secrets Trap tile's color when it is matched by either team, steal 3 enemy AP in that color. Otherwise destroy 2 enemy AP in that color. (No changes on level)
  • Level 2: Steals enemy AP if the enemy team has 6 or more AP.
  • Level 3: Steals enemy AP if the enemy team has 5 or more AP; creates 2 Trap tiles.
  • Level 4: Steals enemy AP if the enemy team has 4 or more AP.
  • Level 5: Steals enemy AP if the enemy team has 3 or more AP; creates 3 Trap tiles.
Behold! - 8 bluetilepng AP
Mister Sinister's plans can only be comprehended by a single mind: his own! Creates 3 Trap tiles that deal 469 damage for each friendly Trap tile on the board (including these tiles; up to 8 tiles) when matched by either team. (Max level - 1886 damage per tile)
  • Level 2: Trap tiles deal 516 damage for each friendly Trap tile. (Max level - 2075 damage per tile)
  • Level 3: Trap tiles deal 563 damage for each friendly Trap tile. (Max level - 2263 damage per tile)
  • Level 4: Trap tiles deal 657 damage for each friendly Trap tile. (Max level - 2640 damage per tile)
  • Level 5: Trap tiles deal 844 damage for each friendly Trap tile. (Max level - 3395 damage per tile)

Release Schedule

Store Offerings

Scheming Mister Sinister Cover Store - January 30 - February 
  • 1x pull:
    • 1 in 250 chance to get a cover of Mister Sinister (Nathaniel Essex)
    • ~1 in 13 chance to get a 4-Star
    • 1 in 4 chance to get a 3-Star
    • Remainder chance to get a 2-Star
  • 10x & 40x pull:
    • 1 in 166 chance to get a cover of Mister Sinister (Nathaniel Essex)
    • ~1 in 12 chance to get a 4-Star
    • 1 in 4 chance to get a 3-Star
    • Remainder chance to get a 2-Star
  • The Scheming Mister Sinister cover store will run for longer than usual stores to ensure that players have an opportunity to pull from the store if they wish to.

Special Limited Vault

Nathaniel Essex - February 6 - February 11
  • 40 Items
    • 1x Sins of the Father Legendary Store Token
    • 1x 4-Star Professor X (Charles Xavier) cover
    • 3x Random 3-Star covers
    • 6x Heroic tokens
    • 4x 2500 Iso
    • 6x 1000 Iso
    • 5x 500 Iso
    • 14x Two stars

Special Legendary Store

Sins of the Father - February 6 - February 11
  • 15% chance to get Mister Sinister (Nathaniel Essex), and Green Goblin (Norman Osborn), and Thanos (The Mad Titan)
  • Additional Tokens can be purchased for 25 Command Points

Release Debut:

Thick as Thieves - January 30 - February 4
  • Mister Sinister (Nathaniel Essex) is in tokens rewarded by this store

The X-Men vs Apocalypse - February 6 - February 10
  • Rewards tokens to the Sins of the Father Legendary cover store

Edit 1: Updated Behold Level 5s max damage to the proper value (from 2075 to 3395)

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    So is he good? Is he bad? Can I open my tokens now for Prof X?!?!?!
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    So many trap tiles, play him with chavez and JJ for maximum confusion
    JJ creates enemy trap tiles.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Doesn’t immediately jump out as anything special. Change that black passive so it drains blue enemy AP and I’ll be interested.
  • jp1
    edited January 2020
    Wish it was ORed but not with this kit.
  • jp1
    DAZ0273 said:
    So is he good? Is he bad? Can I open my tokens now for Prof X?!?!?!
    Don’t miss the Professor for this one.
  • Chrynos1989
    Chrynos1989 Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    So many trap tiles, play him with chavez and JJ for maximum confusion
    JJ creates enemy trap tiles.
    Whoops, then combine with enemy JJ😂
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tentatively hype; feels maybe Doom adjacent?
  • jp1
    Really? Which part? Honestly curious, not being sarcastic.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder how you tell which trap tiles are which given he creates more than 1 type damage/power wise. Will they have different icons so you can tell easily?

Clearly going to open more tokens to finish ProfX and then just get 1 of Mr Sinister for PvE.

KGB
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Hmm, hard to evaluate at first glance because those powers have a lot of contingencies.  But I don't think he will be meta.

Black:

If the damage threshold were lower (so it proc'd of a 5* match 3) this would be a good power, and would negate a lot of match damage and generate a fair number of traos.  As is, this will proc only for enemy powers/strike boosted matches (or some enemy 5* matches). I don't think it will slow down any of the meta teams.

Purple:

Potentially interesting, as enough enemy casts will make a lot of tiles that result in a lot of AP shenanigans.  But most meta teams are laregly passive, and won't be casting many abilities until they can drop opponents.  So this is useful against goons in pve, but we already have better tools for that (e.g. strange).

Blue:

If I am reading this properly, it will produce 3 trap tiles that will do between 9 and 26k damage, probably averaging around 12-15k given his other passives.  That is reasonably efficient, but traps are always very slow and unreliable offense.

Overall:

I think the idea is to use him as a #3 support character, and he will just steadily produce traps and drain enemy AP in the background, while occasionally producing damage from his various traps.  But he does nothing directly.  It's all generating traps and hoping for the best.  They can be matched by his own team, which is good.  But they still need to be matched, which is far inferior to direct damage.  And that is without considering that current meta teams include special tile spammers who will overwrite tons of these traps.  I don't see him as much of a threat on defense as it should be reasonably easy to avoid proc'ing his black and purple until you are ready to kill him. and on PvP offense I don't see him being better than the current go-to characters (kitty, Thor, okoye, JJ, Prof, BRB, etc). 

Since he doesn't jump in front, and does proc when allies take damage, I wonder if he will be more useful underleveled.  If his black proc'd on every match 3 he would soak up a lot of match damage, and utterly drain all enemy black ap.  Maybe a good counter to black-relaint 5*s (not that we really needed such a thing)

Also, continuing the trend of power creep, this new, very clearly support, 5* has 25% more health and match damage than older support 5*s.  He has more health than Thanos, whose whole shtick on release was having an enormous health pool that was 10 or 15k higher than any other 5*.

It's good to have more black/blue/purple users in 5* land, and more villains. But he isn't as good as Prof x. And we still don't have a 5* with a good pair of active blue and purple powers other than Strange, who has a weak purple and is too squishy for grinding.

[Edited after re-reading the powerset again.  I think Demi upped the damage on blue by more than 50%.]
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    @IceIX

There is a typo, apparently (?) on the blue power at 5 covers.  It repeats the max dmg from 2 covers.

Thank you.
  • furbear00000
    furbear00000 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    The real question is: does Okoye boost his damage?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    The real question is: does Okoye boost his damage?
    She should, as it's not tied to tile destruction or match damage.  But that doesn't seem too useful to me as if you ran him with thorkoye, you would struggle to proc his blue or black.  Seems like there are better ways to proc her efficiently.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    for blue his level 5 does less overall damage than level 4.  I think this is a typo.

my take is he is interesting and his black could be good getting out a lot of trouble tiles.  If these traps would fire on match 4 or destroyed from 5* Thor tile destruction he could be really interesting.

overall I don’t see him as great but I like the concepts.  I think 5,3,5 is his best build
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks like a fun kit. Glad to see Mister Sinister as well!
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    If Okoye boosts damage, he will be pretty good with all that excess black AP she tends to hold plus huge damage boost on traps.  The way I read it only 1 trap tile is destroyed but you still get all the combined bonus for # of traps, which is way better than Fury's that destroys all of the trap tiles.  Sounds like it is just a way better Nick Fury blue?  Is that how others are deciphering his blue ability?  

That purple passive, while not game breaking, sure seems like it will slow down quick AP powers.  Unfortunately it doesn't really combat Bishop or Hammercap.  

Certainly seems like 5 blue covers is his best build and then mix and match purple/black depending on other team mates and preferences?   5/3/5 if you pair him with Okoye and don't have another active black AP user?  3/5/5 if you are going against teams with low AP cost powers?  

Will probably break my hoard on his intro store for him and Thanos covers, and GG isn't terrible.  Will then wait and see on the rest of my hoard.  I am willing to let Prof X fall off for potential of BRB/Sinster/?.   Hopefully ? will be better than Carnage.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    jp1 said:
    Really? Which part? Honestly curious, not being sarcastic.
    Just a feeling; seems like one people will hate on paper but be a monster on the board. He doesn’t have that Doom heal, but he has the damage reduction similar to Iceman. Then he has that AP steal/reduction. I think this is the WCap/Bishop counter attempt tbh; let’s see how tone deaf it is or isn’t once he lands in the wild.

i like him at 3/5/5
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 577 Critical Contributor
    KGB said:
    I wonder how you tell which trap tiles are which given he creates more than 1 type damage/power wise. Will they have different icons so you can tell easily?

Clearly going to open more tokens to finish ProfX and then just get 1 of Mr Sinister for PvE.

KGB

Easy, just tap the tile and its properties are shown
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    Purple feels worthless. You're just going to stun him, 1-shot him, or passive him to death, anyway.

The other stuff is troll-y.  He kind've feels like a stealth Bobby5. Could be pretty annoying.