Breaking the clearing speed status quo

2»

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Using obfuscated rules to make your game more challenging is bad design. I like this game, but that is an artificial barrier to entry. Go in game and look at the "Event Rules" description for Weapon Tex-Mex that's running at the time of this post:

"Oh come on...Didn't you read the event intro text? Do I have to spell this out all over again?

Whatever... Fine...

Join forces with Deadpool (it's me, deadpool!) and blah, blah, blah ...Let's just skip to the next bit.

Protect yourself by raising SHIELDS!

I won't think less of you for hiding behind a shield - fear is a natural reaction when people try to hurt you.

I've been hurt by unfeeling words too often to count.

They leave marks you know. Scars that no-one sees. I've got real scars too! you wanna see 'em?

But that's what this job is all about, amiright?

Harsh Language, callous flesh wounds, major arterial bleeding, organ failure - nothing you can't bounce back from with the right attitude and a healing factor.

you don't have a healing factor? Don't sweat it.

The right attitude is what's really important. POsitive thinking. Mind-over-matter.

Oh, hey, is this your intestine?"

I guess that tells me how to play PVP, and what MMR does?

One of our newest members complained that his fights were getting tougher in Versus and he then excitedly exclaimed that the reason was because he had joined SCL7  Story mode. Actually he had rostered a 1 cover Professor $ and was pretty confused when we told him our suspicions.

This game is clear as mud. I mean getting a higher lever chararacter - that should be a good thing, right? He sold that cover - things went back to being easier. 
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    I think Each character should be worth X amount of points for a clear, *5 tier's being worth the most  down to either 3 or 2 tiers depending on how they want to do it, weekly powered up hero's would also give bonus points.

Having Dupes wouldn't count.

Daily clear could also be worth points incentivizing  people to clear each day. Speed would count but it would be worth the lease amount of points mostly to break up ties.

This would mean you'd need to put some thoughts into clearing easy nodes quickly, do you blow through with thanos and lose those clear points with him or do you use some of your 2/3 stars to finish off those nodes and get max points?

• Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    broll said:
    Any change to how it's done needs to remove time slices IMO.  Time slices give certain players a permanent & consistent unfair advantage and others a a permanent & constant unfair disadvantage just based on where they live and their real life schedule.  This is a game that should be played at ones leisure, you shouldn't need to reorganize your life to be able to be competitive.
    This is the #1 reason I still (after ~1400 days of playing) have never recommended this game to any of my friends, most of whom are dedicated tabletop, video and/or board game players and many Marvel fans as well. 
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Using obfuscated rules to make your game more challenging is bad design. I like this game, but that is an artificial barrier to entry. Go in game and look at the "Event Rules" description for Weapon Tex-Mex that's running at the time of this post:

<snip>

I guess that tells me how to play PVP, and what MMR does?
    Oh yeah.  And even if you use a shield, nothing tells you to check the leaderboard immediately afterwards to make sure that the shield sticks to the server.  Otherwise you can still get blasted during the in-between time.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Reecoh said:
    broll said:
    Any change to how it's done needs to remove time slices IMO.  Time slices give certain players a permanent & consistent unfair advantage and others a a permanent & constant unfair disadvantage just based on where they live and their real life schedule.  This is a game that should be played at ones leisure, you shouldn't need to reorganize your life to be able to be competitive.
    This is the #1 reason I still (after ~1400 days of playing) have never recommended this game to any of my friends, most of whom are dedicated tabletop, video and/or board game players and many Marvel fans as well. 
    Seconded, well except for that one time very early on that I recommended...  Well he saw me playing and asked what it was and if it was good.  I'd have answered that differently a few months later though...
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 968 Critical Contributor
    broll said:
    My enjoyment was much higher before I learned about optimal play, but the extra rewards sure are nice...

Frankly, I think I "discovered" it just about the right time in my MPQ progression. I was able to enjoy ignorant/peaceful casual play for a few years, then when I was just about FINALLY stable in my HP income/spending I learned about optimal play to help me roster new chars faster. Those new chars (namely Juggs) allowed me really put together a speed team to greatly improve my rankings to the point that I am now SHIELD Training stable.

It's been a good evolution of play for me, but next is the dreaded jump to 5* Land. Not looking forward to that...