CoTT: Yondu vs Gamora - Why are we fighting again?

ZootSax
ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
This was a deceptively tough one for a low-champ Yondu.  After a few failures I ended up having a suddenly successful board in spite of using the same strategy every time.  Eh, a win’s a win.

LT gave a green Warmachine.

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    It pretty much just comes down to who manages to get the blue. Black is also relevant, but it's really the blue that made the difference. Either Yondu gets stunned and picked apart or Gamora gets skewered. Took me like 5 tries before I was able to get 10 blue before Gamora got enough AP to fire all of her powers at least once.
    Token is waiting for the next 5*.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    My (pretty recently) champted Yondu had a good run on this one, but it all came down to blue control. I lucked out and managed to slurp up nearly all of the blue. Unfortunately, right after I cast blue, she cast red, so I didn't get to see the cool animation/hear the whistle on the second part of Yondu's power, but he managed to scrap through anyway. That blue at five covers does a pretty hefty chunk of damage, so there wasn't much mopping up to do after it landed. 

My reward was a pretty nice one - an America Chavez, which earned a red Jessica Jones, bringing her up to 3/2/4. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champed Yondu and it was a mid tier Crash for me. Gamora hit me with her blue and red but it wasn't enough, I got some specials on the board and then fired blue and she was down.
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    1/0/1 level 74 Yondu with +2 blue AP, and max blue/purple and red/yellow match damage.
    2* Taskmaster's Sword

If I hadn't gotten semi-close on the first try, I probably would have written this one off. But after about six attempts, I pulled it out.

Blue is certainly critical, but either the red or the black is insta-death. So while I started with a blue priority to get Archery out ASAP, I had to prioritize black/red after that, even at the expense of letting her have one round of blue stun, that I somehow survived through. She had 9 red and 8 black, right on the verge of a loss, when I got the final 2x cascade to take her out.

Cascades were pretty vital to multiply the damage bonus from Taskmaster's Sword and shorten the fight, which also makes it much harder to control the AP that you're giving her. The support also buffs Archery, so it's super valuable in this Crash.

After all that work however, the token was a Talos.
    Talk about taking some of the joy out of a really, really tough win!
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    After all that work however, the token was a Talos.
    Talk about taking some of the joy out of a really, really tough win!
    A win like that is better on it’s own than 80+% of the possible draws the LT could give you, so in a way getting Talos only makes your story a better one to retell :)

regardless, very impressive. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    "why are we fighting?" - because we both chase the same colors, and that, as often as anything, seems to be what drives these matchups lol