Cauldron's Gift doesn't work like it should

Options
Black Spell (9)
"Adamant Black: Destroy the top 5 cards of your Library.
Pick one of the first 2 creatures cards from the top of your graveyard. Move that card into play under your control."

What it actually does:
"Pick one of the first 2 creatures cards from the top of your graveyard. Move that card into play under your control.
Adamant Black: Destroy the top 5 cards of your Library."

So it works in reverse. Even if you hit the adamant, which I did several times in a game, it won't cast until there is a creature in your graveyard by some other means.

Comments

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I’ve been playing with this a while and, thanks to you, just now realized this is correct. It’s easy to test. If your graveyard has no creatures, it won’t cast even if it hits adamant. 
    Good catch. 
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2020
    Options
    jtwood said:
    I’ve been playing with this a while and, thanks to you, just now realized this is correct. It’s easy to test. If your graveyard has no creatures, it won’t cast even if it hits adamant. 
    Good catch. 
    True story: Went to test it in a deck (Liliana... The one that sacrifices a creature and returns it to play as a buffed zombie). My opening hand was 2 Cauldron's Gifts and a land-support. "Perfect!" I thought, "I'll get to cheat 2 of my creatures into to play easy!" I make a swap which included black, and got a lucky cascade and powered all my cards... Land gets played, turn ends.

:|
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Wow!  This makes perfect  sense.
    I've been running this in a Vraska build with Gather the Pack.
    I had actually noticed it being fully charged but red (disabled) in my hand one time...that time I probably had it in my opening hand and hadn't yet Gathered any Packs.
    Yeah this is indeed plausible.
    The 2 mechanics on this card need to flip-flop.