Which heroes to keep

Pida9109
Pida9109 Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
edited January 2020 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi I'm at a point in the game where I have sell off some heroes to make space for better ones. I have 50 slots as of today. I have 4 star heroes that are about to expire. I would like to know which 2* to keep. I'm starting to get alot more 3* and 4* now. I sold off all my 1* heroes except iron man. Also are there specific 3* and 4* heroes I should focus on? 

This is my current roster 
http://imgur.com/a/XIteKkI

Comments

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    problem with the 2* is that they are required in PvE  
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd check in and see who are the required essentials in the next PVE or two.  Should be up on the main forum page. If you have any of those characters, keep them and sell the non-essential 2s.  

Also, IMHO, if you keep any 1* for DDQ, keep Juggs.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    No, don't sell any 2's.  You want to get all your 2's champed and turn them into reward machines.  (it's called farming)  Sell them only when you get them to 144 and you have another one ready to roster.  Doing this will get you a lot of resources you would miss out on otherwise.

As @pheregas suggested, follow the Sneak Peek for which 3 (and maybe 4) to roster.  The more essentials you have, the more points you can collect and the better progression rewards you can collect.

Try to get all the 3's rostered first as you will make, by far, the most progress on them from playing the game.  (well, other than 2's)  The 4 tier is EXTREMELY diluted and your progress there will mostly come from targeting the top ones and moving on (if you want) after that.

I assume you are working on 3 Strange or already have him champed.  After him look at Kahn, IM40, Hawkeye, Thanos and other meta 3s.  Deadpool is very helpful to use for whaling hard nodes.  Fist and Cage are a potent combo.

The main meta 4 is Rocket.  Second may be Juggs to get fast clears going.  Others are Vulture, Gamora, Capt Marvel, Medusa, America.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you can let the forum know your roster then that would help for advice also.
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    At a roster of 50 your new slots are only costing you 650-700 HP. If you are using HP to purchase pulls from vaults that is the first thing I would suggest you stop doing. Save all your HP for roster slots.
    Also, as tiomono stated horde your tokens until you have enough to purchase a new roster slot. Once you have 650-700 HP pull your horde until you get a new character. Purchase a slot for that character then again start hording until you have enough HP for another slot. Rinse and repeat.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Like all the other vets here, I would give the following standard advice:

IF you are playing this game for the Long haul, and intend to roster everyone and get into the upper tiers of play, then I would strongly recommend that you keep all 2*a, and carefully plan your token opening to make sure that you always have enough HP on hand to buy a roster slot when you are likely to acquire covers for a new characrer.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Seconding bluwolfs recommendation in the 4 star roster. I can't count the number of times I hit a brick wall of high level foes generating too many tiles too quickly in PVE that Juggs and Rocket fall victim to that the potent combo of Vulture and Chavez make short work of. It's a slightly different play style with Chavez, but once Vulture is airborne and generating AP, Chavez becomes the punching mcpuncherson in PVE to take out non tile movers. Valkyrie and Iceman are others I'd mark as good to have, especially Iceman's blue if you have someone else who generates a lot of blue. His stun and follow-up punch is brutal on a blue board. More effective than martyr Bishop.

Strange and IM40 are definitely the top of the 3 star tier. Never sell a max champed Strange until your duplicate Strange is at 13 covers with another 30 in saved covers. He's too useful when he's boosted to speed up playthroughs at most levels, especially his reaction to other people firing powers. Thanos is good, but you're going to churn through either health packs or roster mates to pair him with. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    1* - Iron Man, Storm and Spidey
    2* - roster all except Bagman until your roster is more developed
    3* - Strange, IM40, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Thanos, Deadpool and Scarlet Witch
    4* - Rocket and Groot, Juggernaut, Gamora, Capt Marvel, Medusa, America, Vulture

I would say that those are the essentials. And once you get Rocket and Groot and Juggs decently covered you won't really need Thanos anymore. I don't have 3* Gamora listed but you could partner her with 4* Rocket and Groot until you get 4* Gamora and Juggs. For the 1* tier you're going to get a ton of covers for those three that I listed so you will want to keep applying covers to generate a lot of XP to level up and get more iso to help champ your characters.
  • Pida9109
    tiomono said:
    I would recommend not opening tokens unless you have enough hp for a new roster slot. Characters expire, tokens do not.
    I couldn't figure out how to post SS here so I uploaded them here 

• Pida9109
    bluewolf said:
    No, don't sell any 2's.  You want to get all your 2's champed and turn them into reward machines.  (it's called farming)  Sell them only when you get them to 144 and you have another one ready to roster.  Doing this will get you a lot of resources you would miss out on otherwise.

As @pheregas suggested, follow the Sneak Peek for which 3 (and maybe 4) to roster.  The more essentials you have, the more points you can collect and the better progression rewards you can collect.

Try to get all the 3's rostered first as you will make, by far, the most progress on them from playing the game.  (well, other than 2's)  The 4 tier is EXTREMELY diluted and your progress there will mostly come from targeting the top ones and moving on (if you want) after that.

I assume you are working on 3 Strange or already have him champed.  After him look at Kahn, IM40, Hawkeye, Thanos and other meta 3s.  Deadpool is very helpful to use for whaling hard nodes.  Fist and Cage are a potent combo.

The main meta 4 is Rocket.  Second may be Juggs to get fast clears going.  Others are Vulture, Gamora, Capt Marvel, Medusa, America.
    Ok thank you. very helpful
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd reiterate what others have said:
    1. Ease up on opening tokens when you don't have the ability to roster the new characters.
    2. Keep you 2* characters, since they'll help you gather HP to roster others.
    3. When you can afford a roster slot, open tokens until you fill that slot and stop. Repeat this process.
    If you want to save the 4* covers you've received but not rostered, consider selling some of your single cover 3* characters, provided they're not essential in upcoming events.  They should be fairly easy to replace.  As far as which 3* characters to hold on to or favourite, these are a few that stand out:
    • Doctor Strange: his yellow passive is particularly effective against goons who frequently fire powers, and his blue combines a decent stun with AP denial. He is particularly effective against the Mindless Ones.
    • Iron Man 40: turns yellow AP into red, blue, green, and purple AP.  While his other powers seem overpriced, he makes a great battery for other red, blue, or green users.
    • Thanos: his Court Death passive can make short work of matches at the expense of his team mates' health.
    Others worth holding on to:
    • Luke Cage and Iron Fist: they work great together, and their respective protect and attack tiles help tilt matches in your favour.
    • Captain America: while his blue and red have a high initial cost, you get most of it back in a few turns.  Pairs well with IM40, who will get him going.  The team of those two plus Strange really punches above their weight.
    • Deadpool: his unique selling point is his purple, which can one-shot any enemy team, provided you've got enough Deadpool points.  So it makes sense to roster him and collect the points.
    You might also want to consider selling your Spider-Ham.  While he's probably the rarest character on your roster, he's essentially just a trophy.  He won't help you win any matches, and it will probably be a long time before you see more covers for him.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Lots of solid advice here. 

Pressure on roster slots is high in the early game so hoarding tokens, which don’t expire,  and only open them when you have HP for  the next roster slot is a really good idea. The other alternative is to throw money at it. You can buy as much HP as you want! 😉

Remember (altogether now); it’s a marathon, not a sprint. 
  • 111MCH111
    111MCH111 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Best advice Summary:
    1) use all your HP to buy roster slots. You need 200 in the end game.
    2) Never open LT purple tokens, until it’s time to jump to 5* Tier
    Dont open heroic tokens if roster is full. 
    3) The main 4* nr 1 is Rocket.  Second may be Juggs to get fast clears going.  Others are Vulture, Gamora, Capt Marvel, Medusa, America. I like Deadpool both 3* and 4*, fun.
    4) complete 3* roster, which is simply playing PVE and DPD until your roster is full
    5) this hurts: Sell  B-listed 4* characters with 1 cover
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pida9109 said:
    tiomono said:
    I would recommend not opening tokens unless you have enough hp for a new roster slot. Characters expire, tokens do not.
    I couldn't figure out how to post SS here so I uploaded them here 

Yeah spend that hp on roster slots. Do not sell your 2*'s, champ them. 

I sell my 2* champs that have been maxed out as soon as I have one cover to replace them. Other players prefer to have an extra roster slot for each 2* to build up the replacement a bit better before selling the max champ.

Work toward steadily champing your 3* characters. Do not spend cp on tokens or open latest legends tokens unless you have all the 2* and 3* rostered and enough hp to buy a spare roster slot in case you draw a 4* or 5* that you do not yet have rostered.

I forget how much roster slots cost at that point in the game but that is where you should spend your hp. I have 201 roster slots and each additional slot costs 1000 hp.

You can usually get by with a single 1* character to get through the deadpool daily missions.  Iron man is fine. Spiderman or juggernaut will also do the job but do it better than iron man. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    FYI, you only "need" a single 1*, and there are a few that can solo the DDQ node. I know from experience that Spider man, Juggernaut, and Iron Man can all solo that node. I keep a lvl 40 1* spider-man just to get that last DDQ token. He isn't even fully leveled and he can do it by himself with no issues. If you don't really care about that last DDQ token, you could even punt on that since 1* characters aren't required anywhere else in the game. But I find that I hit the hp in there often enough that I like to hang on to him.
  • 111MCH111
    111MCH111 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    FYI, you only "need" a single 1*, and there are a few that can solo the DDQ node. I know from experience that Spider man, Juggernaut, and Iron Man can all solo that node. 
    I like Jugs, his Red and Green are cheap and he never failed me. 😎
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    No doubt, I think it's just a playstyle thing. I spent all last year chasing Chavez covers, so my mind has been trained to seek out critical tiles lol. I like Spider-Man for that.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    111MCH111 said:
    Best advice Summary:
    1) use all your HP to buy roster slots. You need 200 in the end game.
    2) Never open LT purple tokens, until it’s time to jump to 5* Tier
    Dont open heroic tokens if roster is full. 
    3) The main 4* nr 1 is Rocket.  Second may be Juggs to get fast clears going.  Others are Vulture, Gamora, Capt Marvel, Medusa, America. I like Deadpool both 3* and 4*, fun.
    4) complete 3* roster, which is simply playing PVE and DPD until your roster is full
    5) this hurts: Sell  B-listed 4* characters with 1 cover

Just a few suggested revisions

re: 2) I would say hoard LTs and CP at least until you are ready to jump into champed 4* play.  LTs are an extremely important source of 4* covers, so trying to become a 4* player without them is hard.  but the trick is to ignore any 5* covers you get.  Don't level them up, don't expect to use most of them for a LONG time (kitty, okoye, and thor can all be useful at lower covers if you happen to get their yellow, black, and green powers respectively).  The situation you want to avoid is being a 2* or 3* player with a bunch of level 255 or 270 5*s on your roster that mess up your mmr but don't really add any value to your team.

re: 5) I don't think you ever really WANT to sell off a 4* at all (Though i suppose it may be necessary in circumstances of EXTREME roster crunch).  But what can make sense is selling of all of your under-covered 5*s IF you are a 3* or lower player and want to play a lot of PVP.  Even then, I would avoid doing it if at all possible because 5* covers are hard to get and selling them hurts in the long run. 

I would add a 6)  It will be sorely tempting, but DO NOT put any iso into your under covered 5*s.  There are perhaps a few exceptions to this general rule, but they are so rare and RNG dependent that you are really just better off entirely ignoring any 5*s you happen to roster until you have a much better sense of the game and your own preferred playstyle.