Do we have any insight into the feeder roadmap moving forward?

ThaRoadWarrior
ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
@IceIX
Has there been any official word on how feeders for new 5* characters are going to be rolled out moving forward? Right now everyone but Carnage and BRB has one, presumably those two will eventually get them. It seems like just telling people how it's going to work moving forward is the safest bet for PR purposes to me, just curious if the plan were solidified yet or not. 

As a suggestion, I would propose that some new release 4* just comes out as a feeder in future, rather than retro-actively assigning it to any existing 4, thus avoiding any haves/have nots or "dude, where's my shards?" controversy, but that's just my perspective from outside the dev room. 

Comments

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    There will always be haves/have nots it’s the way of the world. 

I propose instead of putting them on a new 4 which will take 7-10 years to max champ with dilution they are rolled out on existing older 4*s so people might actually see the feeder before the conclusion of the game. 
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Short answer:  No.

Long answer:  Noooooooooooooo.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,238 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would be great if they communicated something on this matter.  Or really, on any matter.

I don't know if the original plan to release such paltry retro rewards was based on not wanting to flood the game with rewards (when triggering so many feeders at once) or somehow wanting to rebalance the retro rewards because shards make it a lot easier to finish a character.

But setting some expectations would be nice.  On the other hand, for all we know they won't set up any more feeders before they shut the game down since it seems to be on the downward slope anyway.

IF they were going for a canon connection (most of the wave of new feeders (all? Other than Emma, maybe?) had very strong connections between the 4 and the 5) then Venom is the best choice for a 5 Carnage feeder.  BRB, I'm not quite sure who you look at.  Maybe Nova or Yondu.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Venom seems the obvious choice for Carnage since Carnage already feeds Dr O for sure. I would say somebody in the Thor spectrum would be ideal for BRB, but since L4dy Thor is already feeding 5torm (we had plenty of x-persons for that in my mind, but...) I think I tend to agree that it be Nova or someone similarly cosmic that feeds BRB.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since it takes literal months to get even a single 5* cover through the sharget system, knowing before a 5* leaves latest would be more than ideal.

Just got my first one yesterday since the rewards update.  Only 1,998 more points until I can champ BSSM.  :/  Only 666 more LTs!  That seems kinda evil.

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    I agree with the OP.

Avoid the headaches and the whining and the everything else...

Just bite the bullet and plan out the "feeder" when you release the character.  

If you keep delaying it, and eventually you come out with "feeders" for all characters who need one, you're going to go through the champ rewards update scenario all over again.

If you're gonna do that, you might as well just do it per character that's released.  Example: BRB is released today!  Yay!  Here's the champ rewards update for Nova (or whoever you chose) as well, which includes his feeder.

If you did that per character, you wouldnt have so many champ rewards update issues in one bulk scenario, causing hysteria.  Sure, it might cause a little double-dipping per 5* release, but there's MAJOR double-dipping when you do the bulk update all at once, and sometimes people plan for it!  

Just get it over with - assign it up front.  Then there would be much fewer feeder-related complaints.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    PiMacleod said:
    I agree with the OP.

Just bite the bullet and plan out the "feeder" when you release the character.  

If you keep delaying it, and eventually you come out with "feeders" for all characters who need one, you're going to go through the champ rewards update scenario all over again.

If you're gonna do that, you might as well just do it per character that's released.  Example: BRB is released today!  Yay!  Here's the champ rewards update for Nova (or whoever you chose) as well, which includes his feeder.

If you did that per character, you wouldnt have so many champ rewards update issues in one bulk scenario, causing hysteria.  Sure, it might cause a little double-dipping per 5* release, but there's MAJOR double-dipping when you do the bulk update all at once, and sometimes people plan for it!  

Just get it over with - assign it up front.  Then there would be much fewer feeder-related complaints.
    I don't disagree with you, but to put words in the bean counters mouth, I doubt they would want that.  At least not on your proposed time table. Given that they seem to always have a special new release store, one can surmise that they are popular enough to warrant repeating and that people use hoarded CP on these stores.  I can attest that people do save up CP for such releases.

Releasing a 4* feeder immediately might put a damper on these hoard-drops.

But to build on what you say, I think that they should be proactive and assign the 4* feeder to the oldest 5* in Latest when the new 5* is announced.  That gives people time to switch their shargets, if desired.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/76476/5-feeder-suggestion

I wrote this in the suggestions thread just over a year ago. I doubt the developers read posts here anymore but they did implement stage 1 of my plan (update all feeders) despite Hound’s opposition. I wonder if they implement stage 2 (give a feeder when the character rotates out)? A big part of my plan involved communication and that’s been so unbelievably bad that I’m sure that’s where the wheels fall off. 

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,238 Chairperson of the Boards
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/76476/5-feeder-suggestion

I wrote this in the suggestions thread just over a year ago. I doubt the developers read posts here anymore but they did implement stage 1 of my plan (update all feeders) despite Hound’s opposition. I wonder if they implement stage 2 (give a feeder when the character rotates out)? A big part of my plan involved communication and that’s been so unbelievably bad that I’m sure that’s where the wheels fall off. 

I have seen them claim to read everything.....who knows any more, they seem to be stretching themselves thin.

They haven't even bothered to announce the Phoenix bundle on their social media, let alone here.

Puzzling....
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't know what point you are trying to make by mentioning me in your post, but if that makes you feel smarter, then continue. 

The last few 5-stars had special HP store releases. If a feeder is announced along with new 5* releases, you are going to reduce their potential revenues.

I think new 4* should be the feeders for the rest of the 5* and future 5* going forward. It will save the dev lots of potential misunderstandings and troubles. It might help to boost the popularity of new 4* as well.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited January 2020
    If you have some 4* that comes out after the new release 5* has been languishing in Classic for any amount of time already feeding that 5*, you solve the retroactive rewards issue by putting everyone on the same playing field of starting from 0, but also you don't leave any given character completely high and dry feederless. If a 4* is a known feeder for a 5*, I could see that driving interest in chasing them even if they are a dud mechanically.

That of course assumes the 4* release train is never slowing down.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    PiMacleod said:

First the Devs came for the Bonus Heroes and we said nothing. Then they came for the Champion Rewards and we said nothing.

Oh OK...none of that is true. We whined. Don't take the whining from us!!!! There will be nothing left!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    @IceIX
    @Demiurge_Anthony
    @Demiurge_[bagman]
    Now that Carnage has dropped out of Latest, the first to do so that came out after the big Champion Rewards update, would it be possible to have some expectations set around when we might expect to see a feeder announcement?