Anyone expecting a killer 5* to kick off 2020 ?

Options
2»

Comments

• ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    @tonypq

2016 started with BSSM.
    2017 started with 5BP
    2018 started with GRRR
    2019 started with DOOOOOM

I'll let you make your own call here about what to expect.....

(There's no reason to think the timing of a release is particularly important; you'd think all the Anniversary-adjacent 5* characters would be great, but the last 2 years saw Cable and Carnage, but the years before that were OML, Strange, and Gambit.)
    That's actually a MUCH better list than I was expecting, to be honest.  BSSM was a really good new 5* in the OML/Phoenix meta that existed at the time, although it was back in a time when fewer 5* players existed and characters were covered much more slowly, so not as many got to take advantage of his brief time in the sun.  Panther joined Thanos pretty quickly into a new meta and while underpowered today is still salvageable.  I got nothing for Ghost Rider, but Doom is a really solid character just off the top tier.  All in all, none of the garbage fire 5*'s are in that list, so there's some reason for optimism if history can be relied upon to predict upcoming releases...which it likely can't. 
  • Haithere
    Haithere Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This thread aged like a fine milk. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I dont expect much anymore.

Reading this made me think of Lowered Expectations from MadTV. Really sums up the game for me lately.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Haithere said:
    This thread aged like a fine milk. 
    How? This comment doesn't make any sense.
  • Jormagund
    Jormagund Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Fine milk doesn't age well.
    Hopes for a killer 5 star meet the reality of 4 star Northstar.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Jormagund said:
    "Anyone think they will make the first 5* of 2020 an amazing character ?"

OP just asked if we think that the first 5 star of 2020 will be amazing, not that the first character of 2020 will be amazing.  Northstar has nothing to do with it.

We haven't seen the first 5 star of 2020 so there's nothing to judge yet.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jormagund said:
    "Anyone think they will make the first 5* of 2020 an amazing character ?"

OP just asked if we think that the first 5 star of 2020 will be amazing, not that the first character of 2020 will be amazing.  Northstar has nothing to do with it.

We haven't seen the first 5 star of 2020 so there's nothing to judge yet.
    Exactly. Robbie and Black Panther weren't the first characters of their years either, but they were listed because we're talking about 5-star releases. Northstar isn't a 5-star, so he's irrelevant to the conversation.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A lot of us (myself included) have complained that we need more villains in the game. So we’re off to a good start there. 

Now let’s hope it’s a 5* worth actually chasing (something else we’ve complained about) and not another Carbage situation.