Is the 4* tier dead?

Options
13»

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I'm going to be blunt and I think that the solution to your perceived problems about MPQ(dilution/time spent on the game) and "Speed is King" is that players should get free-flow of top placement rewards for simply playing the game.

Let's start with PvEs:

Even if the dev do away with the current time slices, make PvEs more puzzle-like, and reduce the number of clears to 1 or 2 fights, do away with essential character nodes, speed will still determine who gets the top placement rewards because the chances of the devs giving top placement rewards to all players is virtually zero. The top 10 players or top 1% are still going to get the best prizes.

The differences that I expect are:

1) players don't have to schedule their lives around timing.
    2) Their timing will be even more subjected to board control or RNG
    3) The dev will put a cap on the number of retries to prevent abuse.
    4) The gap between new players and veterans players will get even wider because veterans are more well equipped to solve the "puzzles".

The other alternatives is to give every players top placements rewards for just completing the nodes, but this will make the game downright boring, in my opinion.

Jumping to PvP, I think using the statement "punishes us quite brutally for an accidental loss (both directly via health packs, and indirectly via lost placement rewards) is a bit excessive. In order to prevent this brutal punishment, the dev has to do away with point loss or reduce point loss to an insignificant amount, make shield hopping close to irrelevant, and allow all characters recover to full health after each match except for Thor who will begin at 50% health. The problem I see is that you are introducing tapping into PvPs. The winners of the PvPs will be those players who can spend 10-18 hours a day winning PvP match. 

As for power creep/difference between 275 and 340/broken meta, it can be easily solved by making all PvPs: Balance of Power. 

As for dilution, players can customise each of their own Heroic and Cp stores and pulls from them.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Really hound?  You're going back to the old straw man that I just want "free stuff"?

Even if that were a fair critique of my position in other debates, it is a complete non sequitor in this context.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Vhailorx
    I still feel the colorless aspect of the shard system is very valuable. I had a character get up to 23 saved covers before I could champ them before. That's the kind of very rare example that sticks in your mind and sours a person on rng pretty hard. With shards everytime I get enough for a cover it is one guaranteed step to champing them sooner than under an rng system. Which is why I feel shards do help dillution a bit better than bonus heros. But that's not really the overall point of this discussion.

I like how you lay out your thoughts and agree with alot of what you say on the difficulties of the 4* tiers bloat.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2020
    Options
    But what I am trying to understand is what people who make this argument about the 4* tier expect. If a 4* character power set does nothing noticeably significant they are written off as a waste of roster space. In contrast, if a 4* character power set does something that impacts the meta, they are called broken. I think the problem lies in the conceptualization that the different tiers should operate separately from each other, specifically with each higher tier clearly dominating the preceding tiers,  which I believe is bad game design.

I think this is a bit of an extreme way to look at it. There's no problem with a 4-star character being able to decently hold it's own against a 5-star character - the issue is with that 4-star character having a mechanic that literally makes it impossible for a 5-star character to win against it. A 4-star character shouldn't be able to passively build up enough AP to stun-lock a 5-star character to death just by said 5-star character sneezing. That's why it's considered "broken". If I'm a Lv 10 Mafia Boss facing a Lv 5 foot soldier, I shouldn't need to send another Lv 5 foot soldier just to have a shot at winning that fight, because said foot soldier has a power that makes him mega broken against Mafia Bosses specifically. THAT in my opinion is what is bad game design. I'm fine with Bishop smacking my 5-stars for 5K damage every time I touch him. I'm fine with that eventually causing that 5-stars death, because I didn't find a smarter way to deal with it before the damage piled up. I'm NOT fine with now not being able to touch Bishop for the rest of the match, simply for breathing in his direction. The "jump-in-front" mechanic for match damage, or any mechanic for that matter, is broken when instead of giving you a significant edge in battle, it essentially guarantees victory. I'm totally fine with a higher tier generally meaning it dominates lower tiers, with exceptions that can be made in certain circumstances. There was nothing wrong with IM40 - IceMan/Peggy/Thor punching above it's weight class because that was balanced by them being beatable by a variety of teams. There aren't too many teams that can beat a Bishop-powered Beta Ray Bill, a Worthy-charged JJ, or any variation of these teams where a hiccup by a 5-star passively gives them the AP to wreck you in 2-3 turns. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Let me take back all my assumptions and try something different.

Since Speed = better rewards now,

In order to prove that MPQ is not about speed, logically, the devs has to give equal rewards to all players, and possibly do away with placement rewards, or shift placement rewards to progress rewards.

Optimal play = min time spend, max rewards gain.

I would like to hear your solutions to convince yourself that MPQ is not about speed. I also like to hear what's your vision of what MPQ should be PvE, PvP, rewards allocation wise. Also, if you were the dev, how would you solve character balances, dilution problems, broken meta problem, and how fast players should be able to progress. Let's use the number of 4* champ and 5* champ per year as a guide to measure meaningful progression.
  • Ugh
    Ugh Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    I wish it would die.  it's just way, way too diluted.  Been playing for over 4.5 years and I am so sick and tired of being locked out of stuff because you can't get covers for new characters.  I should be past that at this point.  It's getting so hard to justify the time sink for this ****
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fwiw, for me, 4* tier has died and been resurrected a number of times. Pre the latest 12, new characters were irrelevant as they didn't have the champ levels that my best characters had, so they were bench warmers and champ level rewards only. Then came the latest 12, and they started overtaking my early champs, and every release was going to be worth something. Removing latest 12 killed that, and new releases became irrelevant again. 5* land beckoned, and 4* tier was mostly irrelevant, with the odd exception of higher  levelled characters when boosted (Carol especially).
    Champing more 5*s killed it again, then more recent (Sabretooth with Thor Okoye, Gritty, Bishop with Strange or JJ, and I'll be able to use Worthy / Hawkeye in about a month) have opened it back up again, and got me looking at other combos for fun in Pve. The fact that I have the toolkit that allows me to deal with most of these combos helps too.

TL:DR the 4* tier has died and come back to life several times for me as the game has changed. It is what it is. 
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mod note: Split a discussion on the value of shards to a new thread. Feel free to continue the discussion on that topic there.