Professor X (Classic) *Updated (8/14/19)

1234568»

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now that all the dust has settled on how he was released, who are we playing on teams with Profe$$or X? One of my alliance mates has him with a decent number of covers and is looking for play-up buddies. Right now he's using Bishop/Rogue, which seems pretty good. I suggested cascade-generating X-Persons like maybe XFW/Domino, but is that wrong thinking? Is his real utility in that Purple?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Going for the multi-matches has really been where the money's at for me. His purple is a really handy toolbox to have available, but it's not something I find myself leaning on.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Champed him last week, got to use him regular strength and now powered up. He's a beast either way. Most matches there seems to be quite a few match 4 opportunities and I find signal boost going off a lot. Often I've gotten match 4 or 5 chains and taken out the whole team in PVE. He's been a quicker PVE buzzsaw than Thanos for me. 

His swiss army knife purple is cheap and amazing for all it does. Single target nuke, moderate damage AOE, attack tiles, or being able to target certain rows/tiles by using Cycliops ability. 

For PVP he's been great as well, but the lower health pool is just something you have to deal with. He's able to pump out serious damage in such an short time between match 4/5s and the cheap purple. If you have others on your team that tanks a couple of his colors you'll be able to keep the machine going much longer. 

I used Beta Ray Bill and Hela with Prof and was able to clear through to 900 points very easily, they make a potent team. All three have very strong and cheap powers, can also fill the board fast with special tiles. With Prof signal boost you can usually cut one of your opponents characters down very fast. If you used BRB blue and Helas black, Prof purple to add attack tiles, then down the weak link on the other team, that's a deadly assortment of buffed tiles to deal with. 

Prof makes a great match with almost every  character with his ability set, especially with blue and purple being scarce for abilities that churn out strong damage. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I've been using 5/5/3 Profe$$or X + Okoye with +2 team up as an anti-bishop, anti-WCap. I'd say at least 40% of my matches have a match-4 available within the first 2 turns, and if you can get one of those jumps-in-front to eat it, you can get rid of them pretty fast. I find WCap can be more of a pain now than Bishop, because of the Hawkeye component.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Fighting against him is irritating in PvPs because for some reasons, his Signal Boost triggers quite often.  I see him being paired with Chavez and Juggernaut often. The team is beatable, but your teammate will walk away with moderate damage done to them.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2020
    His signal boost triggers a lot on defense in PvP because the AI will never miss a match 4.
    While you may miss a match 4 that would have dropped in after making a match 3, I don't believe the AI ever will.
    https://www.demiurgestudios.com/engineering/a-worthy-opponent/

edit 
    By "dropped in" I do not mean from tiles falling in from the top, because the developer that wrote that post confirmed the AI does not check/know what tiles are going to fall in.
    By dropped in I mean a match 4 that is already present and will drop in/cascade after making the match 3, 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was referring to the second part, where the potential match-4 was formed after I did a match-3 and end my turn. Then, the AI did a match-4. This happened quite often. Maybe I should take videos of 10 match against him to check my biases.  B)
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Purple power jubilee is the one power that can crush the enemy team with signal boosts
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Don't sleep on his purple ->red that does ~24k single target damage, or his purple->green that does ~13k to the enemy team. Sometimes I'll even target blue if I'm using Iceman to get that Cyclops board-slice as well as throw a few more blue tiles on the board. He really is awesome.