MPQ Sneak Peek: January 2020 Edition (Updated 01/29/20)

Comments

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,311 Site Admin
    Jormagund said:
    @IceIX can you shed any light on this please?
    No particular light to shed on this, but you all make good points. I'll bring it up with the rest of the team.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Is Emma Frost getting skipped in Crash too? Expected her after Valkyrie but it’s gone to gamora 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is Emma Frost getting skipped in Crash too? Expected her after Valkyrie but it’s gone to gamora 
    I hope with all my being that they do not force us to use Emma in a Crash.  Who could she beat?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    4* Carnage, C&D...
  • bluewolf
    4* Carnage, C&D...
    I can't tell if you're joking.  That would be a disaster.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    I wonder; there are some basic numbers tweaks that seem like they wouldn't cause any riots - for instance if you just take every character at 450 and compare basic match damage and base hit points, and normalize that, would anyone cry about it? Would you sell back your OML if his match damage was made to align with modern characters like Danver5? Or if Silver Surfer's health were as good as GE Doom's with no other changes? I think it's harder to break out the pitchforks over number tweaks than it is for tear-down-and-rebuilds.
    This seems logical but just never happens. Maybe there is some reason why we don't know about and I guess we probably never will.
    There's pretty clear commercial benefits to giving new characters a built-in advantage over the older and possibly better covered characters.  It certainly seems to have gotten out of hand though.
  • axmoss
    axmoss Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
    I had The Hulk (Bruce Banner) and Kingpin (Spider-Verse) as the next 2 classic 5-stars.
  • bluewolf
    axmoss said:
    I had The Hulk (Bruce Banner) and Kingpin (Spider-Verse) as the next 2 classic 5-stars.
    Banner is up for DP v MPQ, so it seems that Ock is an interruption vs some complete change.  We'll see.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    A "fun" Emma matchup would be a pumped up 3* blade or maybe Daken. She needs a steady stream of enemy specials she can delete with her purple.
  • bluewolf
    A "fun" Emma matchup would be a pumped up 3* blade or maybe Daken. She needs a steady stream of enemy specials she can delete with her purple.
    OK, say you take Emma in 1 v 1.  The only build that makes sense is 3/5/5, since purple costs 10 AP, generates a 2-turn repeater and only removes specials or AP - every other turn.  Your only hope is to somehow get enough yellow and black to make some strike tiles you can fortify and use black to increase her match damage and MAYBE you can somehow win if the other character isn't destroying you with powers while you're chasing 19 AP to accomplish that.

You would never want to chase the purple since it does 0 dmg, and anyone that spams specials will just be overwhelming her meager Psychic Meddling ability.  I'm not sure it would be fun to face a, say, 250 Blade or Daken, but I guess it could be interesting.

Woe to the players who haven't champed her and would have literally no chance to win anything other than a super weak matchup.

This is getting off topic but I guess the upcoming events are all pretty standard stuff.
  • T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    bluewolf said:
    OK, say you take Emma in 1 v 1.  The only build that makes sense is 3/5/5, since purple costs 10 AP, generates a 2-turn repeater and only removes specials or AP - every other turn.  Your only hope is to somehow get enough yellow and black to make some strike tiles you can fortify and use black to increase her match damage and MAYBE you can somehow win if the other character isn't destroying you with powers while you're chasing 19 AP to accomplish that.

You would never want to chase the purple since it does 0 dmg, and anyone that spams specials will just be overwhelming her meager Psychic Meddling ability.  I'm not sure it would be fun to face a, say, 250 Blade or Daken, but I guess it could be interesting.

Woe to the players who haven't champed her and would have literally no chance to win anything other than a super weak matchup.

This is getting off topic but I guess the upcoming events are all pretty standard stuff.
    You’re overthinking this.  Just equip Chewie and every crash is trivialized.
  • Thalfen
    Thalfen Posts: 66 Match Maker
    T_REZ5000 said:
    bluewolf said:

I have chewie with 3* and I don’t see how it makes anything trivial. Are you assuming 5* and having the stun?
  • T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2020
    Thalfen said:
    T_REZ5000 said:
    bluewolf said:

I have chewie with 3* and I don’t see how it makes anything trivial. Are you assuming 5* and having the stun?
    Weird, the 37% chance at a 283 attack tile per match is extremely helpful for me.  Only have little over half 4*s champed and it hasn’t failed me yet.  Don’t even use boosts anymore in crashes.
  • bluewolf
    edited January 2020
    T_REZ5000 said:
    Thalfen said:
    T_REZ5000 said:
    bluewolf said:

Weird, the 37% chance at a 283 attack tile per match is extremely helpful for me.  Only have little over half 4*s champed and it hasn’t failed me yet.  Don’t even use boosts anymore in crashes.
    I was engaging in the idea of Emma's mechanics vs another character's mechanics.  Supports obviously can endrun around a lot of shortcomings, lack of covers, etc.  I personally would probably win an Emma crash as mine is 309, but would need to heavily depend on Supports and boosts.

I'm fine if they do it, player rage can be amusing.  Watch the world burn and all that. Many, many players have not been as lucky as you with Supports, and her mechanics make her a very bad character.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    I champed Emma for a Kitty cover and I still haven't used her even once. Even Flaptain and Kingpin have had a spin out in that time.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,311 Site Admin
    Updated all sections
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2020
    Typo?
    Are we repeating a sweet vault?

Edit: old vault was savory.
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Also...
    Am I correct that all champ rewards have been adjusted to avoid the HP/shard double dip fiasco?
  • bluewolf
    edited January 2020
    So, based on the updated list of PVPs and rewards, it looks like we are just moving forwards in the alphabet from the last reward, vs trying to go back and offer the ones that were skipped (based on the expected progression from the December rewards).

Oh, maybe you skipped Bishop because he's going to be nerfed?  And you just skipped a whole bunch of other 4's so it wouldn't be obvious?  Please say yes.