Karolina Dean or Danny Rand? - Best Partner for Beta Ray Bill

Jacklag
Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2020 in Roster and Level Help
I pulled 120 covers from the Worthy Challengers vault, ending with BRB at 0/1/4. I discovered he is an excelent partner for 5* Thor, tanking both green and yellow very well, so that after achieving half health, Thor takes nearly no damage. Ideally, BRB would flood the board with Prot tiles and Thor's Yellow would turn them all into Strike Tiles and destroy the enemy. Except my Thor is at 3/0/0 and doesn't have Yellow. Even if he did, maybe turning ALL protect tiles into strike tiles could be overkill.

Both Karolina and 4* IF have the ability to turn Protect Tiles into Strike Tiles. I got to test this with Karolina during her PvP event and found it pretty fun, albeit gimmicky. IF also does that trick, but for 12 black, so it doesn't share a color with BRB's tile producing power. 

On the other hand, Karolina heals, which might be good to protect halfhealth Thor against AoEs.

I have them both currently at 3 covers each. Which do you think I should target for championing?

Edit: Fixed a mistake regarding Thor's setup.

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    Possibly I am misunderstanding something but with a 0/3/0 Thor I am not sure why you want to have them at half health?

With BRB shield generation on blue, if tile flipping is your thing then 4* Wasp would make a very good partner for Bill with her cheap yellow that flips and buffs strikes/protects and visa versa.
  • Jacklag
    edited January 2020
    DAZ0273 said:
    Possibly I am misunderstanding something but with a 0/3/0 Thor I am not sure why you want to have them at half health?
    My mistake, it's actually 3/0/0. In short, only has the Green power.

I'll take a look at Wasp. But at the moment, I have 0 covers of her.
  • DAZ0273
    Jacklag said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    My mistake, it's actually 3/0/0. In short, only has the Green power.

I'll take a look at Wasp. But at the moment, I have 0 covers of her.

Ha, no probs now that makes sense!!! Thor's board destruction will benefit both Karolina and Iron Fist in terms of green AP generation but I think IF's green is better and can help build his black nuke. So I would go IF all day long.

You may also not have her but Medusa is insanely good with Beta Ray Bill.
  • DAZ0273
    As for Wasp - for a 3-4 transitioner you must try and nab some Wasp covers so you can play the classic 3* Falcon/4* Wasp combination (with Scarlet Witch thrown in as a battery where you can) - collect purple and yellow, fire purple, get shield, flip & buff shields to strikes, start murdering your opponent. It's fun!
  • Jacklag
    DAZ0273 said:
    I'm surprised I didn't think of that. But I have medusa, at 1/0/2. Not great now, but maybe worth trying.
  • Jacklag
    DAZ0273 said:
    As for Wasp - for a 3-4 transitioner you must try and nab some Wasp covers so you can play the classic 3* Falcon/4* Wasp combination (with Scarlet Witch thrown in as a battery where you can) - collect purple and yellow, fire purple, get shield, flip & buff shields to strikes, start murdering your opponent. It's fun!
    I never found a use for Falcon before. I will consider that.
  • DAZ0273
    Jacklag said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    I'm surprised I didn't think of that. But I have medusa, at 1/0/2. Not great now, but maybe worth trying.

BRB solves Medusa's only real problem in that she needs a partner to start being instantly useful where the enemy aren't generating special tiles. If BOTH sides are generating special tiles then her and BRB go absolutely nuts! To be super effective and use the green they both produce you would need a third outlet (which Thor would suit) in PvE OR Match 3 PvP in your present set-up. Only thing to watch is that she will of course heal your team so if Thor is borderline to half health she might be a hindrance to his AP generation.
  • DAZ0273
    Jacklag said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    I never found a use for Falcon before. I will consider that.

It takes Falcon from mid tier mediocrity to an absoluite beast because you don't get too many shield producers who don't want to use yellow, Falc being purple means he and Wasp are made for each other. Iused to take down champed 4* teams from match damage in PvP using these two and of course the other lovely thing is that if you are struggling to get the yellow the purple can at least protect you.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Really jumping up, 3* Magneto might be interesting to run with BRB. A lot of protect spam and some solid damage dealing on his own powers (relative to under-covered 5s or 4s)

Hobofist seems like a really strong partner for BRB if you're playing up. You could add Domino in there to help fuel Like Unto Iron, but you do have a lot of green competition on that group.

Hobofist/BRB/Cage is probably a great team as well, since you have some green production and 2 sources of protect tiles that are going to feed back in to BRB's AP-gen.

I imagine that P4nther/Shuri slay with BRB in the middle. I was trying to use BRB to kickstart Okoye/Rescue, but since none of those characters are actually champed on my roster it's not the most reliable yet.

You could also try Magik, since she drops protect tiles passively and fortifies things at the same time, but to really work she needs somebody with very cheap powers spamming out. I could see her working at the 4* tier well with Sabretooth's cheap red since she can add red to the board from her purple, or maybe C&D's cheapest-power-in-the-game (conditionally) purple.
  • DAZ0273
    BRB/Panther works a treat - I'm not convinced you actually need Shuri but adding her doesn't hurt.
  • Jacklag
    4* BP? I don't have him. I will start collecting 4* Wasp. She really sounds excellent for this and has a stun, which can come in handy.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    DAZ0273 said:
    BRB/Panther works a treat - I'm not convinced you actually need Shuri but adding her doesn't hurt.
    Shuri's power discount/tax as well as her bonus damage from matching fortifications really stacks hard with P4nther. That math starts to look like a bug once you've got a few of P4nther's yellow or blue out on the board and she starts firing off her red for 5ap. If you don't want to use her, I'd suggest then using Bishop to kickstart the train with a hilarious blue battery, or perhaps WCap, though he is going to bankrupt the board of Yellow pretty quick, and it may be tough getting any of P4nther's repeaters out on the board.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 said:
    Shuri's power discount/tax as well as her bonus damage from matching fortifications really stacks hard with P4nther. That math starts to look like a bug once you've got a few of P4nther's yellow or blue out on the board and she starts firing off her red for 5ap. If you don't want to use her, I'd suggest then using Bishop to kickstart the train with a hilarious blue battery, or perhaps WCap, though he is going to bankrupt the board of Yellow pretty quick, and it may be tough getting any of P4nther's repeaters out on the board.

Oh I like Shuri don't get me wrong, she is excellent with Panther. My problem is that I am a little bit addicted to using BRB's green and so Shuri's gets ignored...Lol!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I also just ignore Shuri's green - she is there for AP games and match damage bonuses all day, even in the absence of BRB
  • 111MCH111
    111MCH111 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    I have used Beta Ray Bill with Gritty team. Result: After one round no more match damage and a board full of tiles 😎