You spent your hoard because ?

tonypq
tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
I was curious from anyone who's cracked open a hoard at any point, what made you do so. 

Did you carefully plan in order to cover a certain character ? 

Were you sick of waiting for a killer trio of 5*s in LL or tired of hoarding in general ?

First hoard I built up was about 300 pulls. It allowed me to fully champ/cover 5 CM/GED/Hela, no regerets there. I've got a current stash built of about 260+ LL pulls between LL tokens and CPs.  Was looking to finish 5Prof, then couldn't decide if I'd go back to hoarding or spend tokens as I get them like I had years ago. 

Seems like with all the changes in this game, hoarding is still the best bet to have a decent chance covering any new 5s. To make sure you'd have enough pulls if LLs has a good trio of 5s or the stars line up just right for a random special store. I'd like to go back to spending tokens as I get them, but next time a character comes around I want very badly I know I'd be relieved knowing I had saved my tokens/CPs again. Especially how fast they pump out new characters, any given week or month a close to must have character could drop. 

Comments

• helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    I just cracked a big chunk of mine. I have no 5* champs, and won't have any until I have the top tier ready, in order and as follows:

1) Kitty
    2) Okoye
    3) Thor
    4) Thanos

It's also important for me to have the coverage I want, as I plan to play many of these before champing them. So for Kitty, I wanted her at 5/5/3
    So I had Kitty as my shard hero and was hoarding CP. Then the perfect storm hit:
    Kitty sitting at 2/3/3 with 357 / 500 shards towards another level
    Nearly 5,500 CP hoarded
    A special offer for more Kitty shards that would push me up 1 cover
    A special vault with Kitty (plus 2 chumps I didn't care about, but whatever)
    I broke the hoard. I don't know exactly how many pulls I made, but I finished net (after adding all the 4* champ levels) with 3464 CP still in the bank, and Kitty at the desired 5/5/3 with 1 cover saved. Two of the Kitty covers came from converting shards.

Now if they offer another Fan Favorites store in February like they did last year with Kitty, Thor, and Okoye, I'll be 1/3 miffed.

Back to your regularly scheduled hoarding (and with 1/3/1 Okoye now on the clock...)
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm on a schedule where I can cover the latest 3, hoard, cover latest 3, hoard, etc... Sometimes I skip a dud to give myself leeway. But mainly I try to chase new metas.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was planted firmly in 4* land opening classics with no desire to ever move to the 5* tier. I had amassed a huge horde because I was winning covers faster than I could champ them (way before saved covers were a thing) even without opening tokens. 

My first hoard break was for 5* Daredevil. My favorite super hero and namesake. I heard how fun he was and knew that once he landed in the diluted pool of classics I’d likely never finish him. I also heard that Gambit and Thor were kind of decent as well. I didn’t champ any of them, but max covered them all.  

I actually found busting a huge horde and finishing 5*s to be a fun endeavor even if I wasn’t champing or using them. After max covering a lot of fives I eventually champed them and now am firmly in 5 land. But it all started with the very first horde break for my favorite super hero. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ah, the DD/Gambit/Thor LL pool.  Greatest set ever?  I suppose the Okoye/kitty/Thor special store was arguably better, but original gambit was more dominant than any other character has ever been in mpq.  Add in the second and ~4th or 5th best characters in the game at that time?  Yes please.

I covered my first 3x 5*s in the course of regular play (strange, then Thanos, then HE.  Bp has always elluded me).  Then I built my first significant hoard while skipping star-lord and doc-oc. 

I cracked it for pp/DD/Gambit.  And then kept drawing until I got gambit covered.  Pulling for fun/favorite characters is rewarding, but I always struggle to balance that with the value of having a hoard for meta shifts.  This is of extra concern for me as I don't play nearly enough to keep pace with the release rate.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    I cracked open my hoard on the worthy champion store to finish my Thor.  I spent abot 3500 of my save cp and got enough thor covers to champ him and also got 6 Hela and 7 BRB.

Now I'm just waiting for carbage to leave LL tokens to crack open the rest of my hoard to finish BRB and whoever the next 2 5 stars end up being.
  • tupacboy
    tupacboy Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    i'm on day 650... cracked my hoard i think 3 months ago now... it was when they had kitty / wolv / dr strange and a bunch of 4 stars that had 8x....  I didn't have the 325ish pulls needed to have best chances... but decided that having kitty was crucial to improve my play overall... also only had i think 4 champed 4 stars at the time...

a little bad rng but ended up with kitty at 3/3/3 and was able to champ her a couple weeks ago.... along with 7-8 ish new champed 4's..... 

do I wish there was better 5 stars in there... absolutely but zero regrets... having a kitty helped me greatly at having a chance at top placements in SCL as well as made it much easier to get 900 in pvp... has made playing way more fun for me personally...

now i'm hoarding again till I can get okeye covered (hopefully with some thor)....  although BRB looks super tempting as well...   but I burnt 82 pulls just to get a single cover for him... so that bascially wiped me out again....  i'm opening all tokens till next year for the hell of it and then will hoard again till I can pick and choose a store or ll that I like
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don’t hoard, I just pull as I go I to Latest. I’m fascinated by those who do hoard, it must be a huge decision to decide when to crack. it just isn’t for me. I’m on my 6th champion 5* playing this way, and now that Shards are live and feeders are complete(ish), I have a path to reliably finishing the ones I missed out on. But I probably won’t ever finish any of the truly Meta ones without saving up, I just so thoroughly missed out on Kitty and Thor, and it’s a long road feeding them from a baby champ 4*
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Vhailorx said:
    Ah, the DD/Gambit/Thor LL pool.  Greatest set ever?  I suppose the Okoye/kitty/Thor special store was arguably better, but original gambit was more dominant than any other character has ever been in mpq.  Add in the second and ~4th or 5th best characters in the game at that time?  Yes please.

I covered my first 3x 5*s in the course of regular play (strange, then Thanos, then HE.  Bp has always elluded me).  Then I built my first significant hoard while skipping star-lord and doc-oc. 

I cracked it for pp/DD/Gambit.  And then kept drawing until I got gambit covered.  Pulling for fun/favorite characters is rewarding, but I always struggle to balance that with the value of having a hoard for meta shifts.  This is of extra concern for me as I don't play nearly enough to keep pace with the release rate.
    For me it is generally either a new meta character or a 5* character I really like AND is a decent 5*.  That is what will crack a hoard for me.  

Yep cracked my first hoard for this legendary set.  Got unbelievable pull rates at the time and with CS cover swaps covered all three of them in a much lower than average number of pulls.  Paying for that now as my pull rates have been less than stellar since that but I will take it.  I did chase JJ too since she is one of my favorite characters and pretty good 5*.  I also chased Okoye because she is amazing. I did chase God Doom, because once again a favorite character and decent 5*, unfortunately it took a much higher than average number of pulls to cover him.  Hence why 5* CM is my highest character....I just couldn't stop pulling her.   Now I simply wait for Thanos or a new meta 5* to appear.  Big character I missed was Kitty, just didn't have the pulls for her when she came around.  Even though she is amazing, probably won't chase her.  
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just cracked a mini-hoard to be able to champ Prof X before he leaves.  I will now wait for Carnage to depart before opening again (Carnage is at 2/2/1 and BRB at 3/2/0).
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    I've only cracked large hoards a few times:
    1) As i was transitioning to 4* tier, to get more 4*'s fully covered (no saved covers at the time)
    2) The time the classic 5* pull rate was at 25%
    3) Gambit (which "accidentally" yielded 5hor)
    4) Okoye

So I guess for me it's been a mix of targeting characters and logical circumstances.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hoard broke for good characters: Thanos/Panther originally, Thor/DD/Gambit when you had to have Gambit, JJ/Okoye later on - and now as they've rotated vaults, I occasionally spend on very specific vaults (Thor/Okoye/Kitty and Okoye/Thanos/Panther vaults in 2019).

I think somewhat it's just a timing thing: I saw a lot of hoard breaks on Xmen (PX/Iceman/Storm) simply because folks finally had enough pulls post-Gambit to get to 3x 550.

I think it's somewhat peer pressure (and competitive nature): this last season I saw plenty of big Carnage/Beta teams in sim that probably got tired of not being able to beat the fat Xmen teams.

Personally, any time I've considered hoard breaks in the last two years often it's because of pure boredom. It can be more than a little monotonous playing the same team over and over and over.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    My plan was always to keep hoarding CP forever, until I either arrived in 4* land, ready to start moving into 5* land or 5* Thor appeared as a Hero for Hire.

Neither thing happen. Instead they released the Worthy Challengers vault, and I for the duration of the vault I even went on a CP hunting spree to be able to pull even more. Made 120 pulls, ended up with an excelent BRB and decent Hela and Thor. And a bunch of 1-5 covered 4* stars. Some I managed to roster within that 14 day period, others had to go to waste. But I'm satisfied with the result.

As to LL tokens, I'm currently holding 39 and 500 CP. If all goes to plan, in about two months 5* Carnage will be booted out and I will probably pull everything to improve my BRB and whatever the newest 5*s are at that time.