Investing 720 CP in Juggs?

Nibby
Nibby Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
Hey there!
I  want to speed up my PVE process and kindly ask for  your guidance.
 Right now I play SCL 5 or 6 with Kitty (1/0/1), 4* Rocket (2/5/2), Chavez (just champed her as my first 4* champion), 3* Dr. Strange and 3* Iron fist (both champed). I usually aim for the highest progression reward while trying to use as few health packs as possible. 

My plan is to invest 720 CP of my 900 CP in Juggs to make him 5/5/1. I've thought about pulling LTs, but hesitate because of my bad luck in getting the covers I want.

Now I have two questions :

1.) Given the premise of low damage - fast top progression reward : Is Juggs the solution for my playstyle or are there other options for a player, just about to enter 4 star land?

2.) Would there be a huge benefit in investing even more CP to make Juggs 5/5/3 or should I spend my spare CP on something else? With the purpose of speeding up my gameplay, Jugg's blue power appears to be useless.

Thank you for your help! 

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Picking up one or two covers directly via CP is sometimes worthwhile, but six seems to be getting pretty wasteful. You're probably better off sticking with 3* solutions for now, honestly. Thanos, Iron Fist, Strange, a 3* Guardian instead of Kitty*, stuff like that.
    *I think she needs two covers before she's better than adding a Guardian, unless your matches are going on really long. In which case, there's probably some alternate way to go about those fights that's even better.
  • Nibby
    Thank you for your suggestions!
    I also think, that 720 CP is a big investment but wouldn't it make PVE a lot easier for me? 
    I was hoping to move up to SCL 7 or 8 with Juggs so that I could earn more CP fairly easy? 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think you need to champ Juggs for him to still be really useful in PvE providing you also have a second viable GOTG to boost Rocket's strike power. I had a Juggernaut running at 2/4/5 for a while before I champed him and it still massively speeded up PvE as previously I was using 5* as a third member (caveat I do have a champed 4RG though). You should pretty much still be able to one-shot the easy nodes using a lower level Juggs as long as he tanks a few colours.

Jugg's blue you will never ever use unless you have no other blue AP users.
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    Even Juggs' green is not critical, as long as you have at least one cover. Most of the damage comes from the strikes.

The only exception to that, is you want him tanking as many colors as possible, so higher levels are a plus. But as long as you have 5 in the red, and at least one green, you're probably good to go (since your Grocket isn't super high either).

As soon as you get to three natural red covers, buying the last two for 240 CP is arguably worth considering, because they will speed though PvE, and possibly PvP as well (depending on who you're getting matched against).

More likely than not, another Guardian of the Galaxy will be a better third than Kitty, in all but the longer matches like wave nodes. (3 Star-Lord comes to mind). The initial strike boost helps get through the fight quickly (always good in itself), before they have a chance to match away the strikes. But also, it will help Juggs tank more colors, so you get the AoE damage more often. Kitty for example will always grab the TUs, whereas Juggs will get them if you use a GotG third.

Also look for supports that can boost one of Juggs' off-colors. Ideally, you want him tanking 4 of 6 colors plus TU, and 5 is even better.
  • DAZ0273
    Yeah having 5 in red really helps a lot. My Juggs is only 274 but he can tank blue and green over Grocket who is 292, only Grocket yellow is still higher. If you use a 3* GOTG then Juggs should comfortably tank quite a lot of colours.
  • Nibby
    Thank you so much for your help! 
    Right now my Juggs stands at 2/2/1. Maybe I'll try to get one more red cover through shards and then buy the missing two red covers through CP to see how fast I can go through pve nodes. 
    I'm also curious about replacing Kitty with a 3* GOTG. 

I've always read about rather not spending CP on upgrading characters, but even with the old bonus heroes system, buying LTs rarely ever gave me what I wanted or what helped my progress. Maybe I'll give it another try. 

• DAZ0273
    If buying covers gets you to where you want to go I see nothing wrong with it. 720 CP is a lot but spending some seems like a decent investment.

Juggs will definitely elevate your pve play in SCL7 and using a 3* Guardian means you don't have to wait a turn for your boost to apply, R4G's strikes are boosted straight away, make a match with Juggs as your central character and good chance you have defeated the easier nodes in one go when Collateral hits. If you are reducing each of the easy nodes to a one turn or 2 win instead of 3 or more it adds up pretty quickly.
  • froggerjohn
    I've always been an advocate of spending CP when it makes a big difference in your roster.

A fair amount of the MPQ economy is "leverage". Spending resources on something that lets you move up to a higher SCL, or achieve better placements, means more rewards over all that time, and helps pay for what you initially invested. (And it's more fun).

CP in particular is a relatively late-game resource. You shouldn't be spending much of that on tokens until well into the 4* tier. When you have plenty of HP and roster slots, or most of the tier already rostered, Classics are good for filling out the basic 4* characters in general. (But not great for getting 'specific' characters). And until then, you won't really miss an extra 240 CP, but will hugely notice the speed, utility, and survability of Juggs. Don't underestimate what a 90% reduction in match damage can mean!

I'd actually recommend spending the 240 CP right now, to get your Juggs to 2/4/1, and level him up as high as you can. If you're already committed to buying those covers after you get your next red (and I would be too), then may as well spend it now, because it might already be worth it. Play him with Grocket and 3* Star-Lord, and you'll get a pretty good feel for how it works. Hopefully, he'll already tank blue over Grocket, but that might not happen until you get the 5th red. In any case, add a support to help Juggs tank an extra color.
  • froggerjohn
    Looks like Juggs is boosted in The Hunt, which will make it even easier for him to tank more colors.

Timing is perfect to buy those red covers and take him for a spin.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    For what it's worth, spending 720cp on direct covers works out to about 28.8 pull into Latest Legends, or 36 pulls into classic. It takes 26.67 pulls into a legendary store to earn 1 cover via shards, so if you go into classic you could be at 1.5 covers worth of shards in addition to whatever incidental covers you land for anyone else along the way. food for thought, not sure if your roster can support ~30 random covers or if it would put you at hp crunch for rostering people you don't have yet.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2020
    Nibby said:
    Thank you for your suggestions!
    I also think, that 720 CP is a big investment but wouldn't it make PVE a lot easier for me? 
    I was hoping to move up to SCL 7 or 8 with Juggs so that I could earn more CP fairly easy? 
    I did SCL 7 with just 3* Ironman and Doc. Strange + whatever green user is boosted that week for a very long time, rarely using more than 2 health packs a day. I didn't get any top placement rewards, but I would get all progressions, specially if I had the featured 4*. It would be a huge change to your playstyle, it seems, but you don't absolutely need Juggernaut.

Having said that, Juggernaut is an absolute beast in both PvE and PvP.
  • DAZ0273
    The thing to consider if you thinking about SCL7 or 8 is do you have the 5e? If you have the 5e then try and play SCL8. Juggs will help a lot and if you only just clear the first two times on the 5e the rewards + extra points make a massive difference. Juggs should be able to clear the general nodes with Rocket + 3* GotG and so the only real other consideration is how well covered your 4* is for the 4e.