Anyone expecting a killer 5* to kick off 2020 ?

tonypq
tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
Anyone think they will make the first 5* of 2020 an amazing character ?

I've played since launch but honestly have forgotten if they've started the year with any killer or meta 5*s, not sure what to expect. 

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not expecting much at all.  I'm expecting a 4* that no one except the most extreme comic fans has heard of.  Like the washer repairman for the xmen
    Honestly, if they released someone like that, I'd love it.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    @tonypq

2016 started with BSSM.
    2017 started with 5BP
    2018 started with GRRR
    2019 started with DOOOOOM

I'll let you make your own call here about what to expect.....

(There's no reason to think the timing of a release is particularly important; you'd think all the Anniversary-adjacent 5* characters would be great, but the last 2 years saw Cable and Carnage, but the years before that were OML, Strange, and Gambit.)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m expecting it’ll be someone who can make use of all the protect spam we have been getting, possible a 3rd Runaway.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    I’m expecting it’ll be someone who can make use of all the protect spam we have been getting, possible a 3rd Runaway.

The denim clue in the last release lends credence it's Molly "Princess Powerful" Hayes.
  • bluewolf

The denim clue in the last release lends credence it's Molly "Princess Powerful" Hayes.
    I think “acid washed jeans” is supposed to make you think of acid or LSD. Karolina’s super hero name was Lucy in the Sky at one point. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:

I think “acid washed jeans” is supposed to make you think of acid or LSD. Karolina’s super hero name was Lucy in the Sky at one point. 

When I think of superheroes and jeans...actually there is no end to that sentence! I don't think I have ever wondered which superhero wears jeans!

The clue might have worked for Karolina I guess but that was something to do with crisp flavours and obscure Beatles parody bands from the past that went straight past me (possibly because they seem to have became a cult thing on the back of SNL which we don't get here). Googling that led to something that made vague sense...

At least it isn't as confusing as the time they used something to do with a Stop sign for Doc Ock.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    I'm not. I remember the fuss over 5* Captain Marvel before she came out. Everyone was so convinced she was going to break the meta because her 4* version is good. People got excited, started hoarding, waiting with breathless anticipation. Then she was released and a resounding *thud* was heard around the MPQ world as people realized she was mediocre at best.

So no, I don't expect a meta 5* to start the year. In fact, I don't expect a meta 5*. At this point, I think we have our top tier and additional 5*s will only serve to create more variety, which is what the community has been pining for. We don't want another 5* to use over and over above all the others, we want reasons to use our other 5*s.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    I dont expect much anymore.

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    I expect Captain Britain because they just dumped a lot of his comics onto Marvel Unlimited  :#
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    i think of you look back at the history of the game the dominate 5* sometimes gets overlooked.  When Thor came out people didn’t think he would be as dominate as he is until they figured out how to hide him with Gambit.  Then when Okoye came out she was extremely overlooked.  Kitty was another very overlooked character that is now meta.  I can see BRB becoming meta or close too it with how strong he is.

the next 5* could look just OK but pair extremely well with another 5* making a new dominate pair.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    I expect Captain Britain because they just dumped a lot of his comics onto Marvel Unlimited  :#

That's tied to recent events in Hickman's X-Men run.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    That would be great. We need some Excalibur and Alpha Flight in the game.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 974 Critical Contributor
    That would be great. We need some Excalibur and Alpha Flight in the game.
    Heck, I'd take Alpha Flight as a collective character.
  • bluewolf
    Just wondering how the first 4 of 2020 makes you feel......

Hope the next character is better.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is there any special event/show/comics happening around late January or early February since 5* is estimated to be released on 27th of this month? If it's not a mainstream character, the abilities could be good. If not, it might not be meta changing.
  • bluewolf
    edited January 2020
    Is there any special event/show/comics happening around late January or early February since 5* is estimated to be released on 27th of this month? If it's not a mainstream character, the abilities could be good. If not, it might not be meta changing.
    Nothing I can find.  All Marvel shows are basically in limbo until this summer when the final season of AoS comes out.  Comics looks like the usual filler stuff.

Sometimes they just make characters that are interesting to them and/or requested from surveys (probably some of both).

I don't think Northstar is exactly being heavily promoted by Marvel for any reason, for example.  Same with Beta Ray Bill, MODOK, Wolfsbane.....
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    With that information available, I think the dev has more freedom during this period to introduce something that changes the meta. Hopefully.  :D
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    The next Marvel Movie to come to the Theater is Black Widow. So either 5* Yelena Belova or Red Guardian (Krasnij Khranitel)