what is the marginal value of mid-tier 5*s?

Options
Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
For those players who already have 1 or more if the current meta teams, what is the value of chasing mid-tier 5*s. 

Spending CP on special stores delays hoarding rates, but sometimes decent 5*s get elevated by new releases (see all the dusty old 5* Hawkeye's that are now seeing regular PvP usage), so having a deep 5* bench has value.

Obviously, never pay for wasp or KP.  But what about hela or archangel, or to be topical, lumbercap/JJ?

It seems to me that chasing older characters at 11+ covers makes some sense, as champing offers a decent value bump.  Below that threshold, I think it's a sliding scale where a character must be stronger to justify spending CP with a lower number of covers (the depth of a 5* bench is another relevant factor. If you have 30x 5* champs, then chasing Storm makes less sense than if you only have 10x).  So JJ or other tier 1a  characters may be worth chasing even if you have just 6-8 covers, but weaker 5*s like cable or IM46 may only be worth chasing if you have at least 9-10 covers.

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I’m in a situation where I only have Tier 1a 5*s champed at best, and I'm weighing the value of chasing my 3/2/0 Kitty or 2/0/2 Gladiathor over my nearly finished (10-12 cover) okoye, Hela, Rescue, Fi5k, Lumbercap, Cable, etc. there seems to me to be some minimum viable 5* bench at this stage of the game. I think they mean much different things to rosters in various states.
  • Vhailorx
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Warrior: okoye all the way.  Finish her first as she is a game changer for everything except PvP defense, even without Thor.

After that, I think finishing off hela, rescue, and even lumbercap it cable is tempting.  Getting 9-11 covers for any given 5* is a lot of work, and anything but certain. Maybe split the difference by waiting for special stores with hela/rescue/lumbercap/cable, but set kitty or Thor as your target.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I’m doing Okoye (5/5/1) via direct shards and Shuri right now, and I have IM40 grinding in the background for Hulkbusters. Once I finish Shuri 5 more covers to 300, I’ll sharget Hulkbuster directly (295) for that final Rescue cover I need. At that point I think I’ll move my 5* to Hela while I Miles Morales (7 covers) my way to the last Fi5k I need, and by that time I’ll be ready to move my 4* to Magik for Hela.

but I do think a 5/0/2 Gladiathor probably does what I need him to with a champion Okoye.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The GladiaThor will definitely produce, the only issue you will have is what to do with the red AP as your Okoye is weak on that and Thor non existent.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Let it bank and ignore it - his AOE green + Wakanda Forever is the point of that team as I understand it 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Let it bank and ignore it - his AOE green + Wakanda Forever is the point of that team as I understand it 
    Thor red is underrated due to the ignore protect tile, BRB + Kitty teams will be a pain which Thor can solve.
  • Painmonger
    Painmonger Posts: 152 Tile Toppler
    Options
    OJSP said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    The GladiaThor will definitely produce, the only issue you will have is what to do with the red AP as your Okoye is weak on that and Thor non existent.
    Bring a Hulkbuster red TU
    Okoye's red will do at least as much damage as a HB TU. If they haven't updated it, okoye's black doesn't boost TU powers, so her red is going to hit a lot harder. There's also the added utility to clear a row with a problematic enemy special or to set up a match you need.

As for the OP, JJ was my first champ & she worked great until Okoye came along. Now I find it hard to justify running a team without Okoye outside of special matches, so chasing lower tier 5s seems like a waste to me. Granted, I have JJ, Thor, ProfX, Kitty, Okoye, & 5-6 more, but I really only pull for 1 cover to do essential nodes unless they are meta or extraordinarily skilled in a new niche or one I'm missing.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For me the utility is in variety. I’m currently chasing Parker, Phoenix, and Iron Man.  All mid to low tier and none better than my champed Thorkoye, Kitty, Thanos, Hawkeye, Jessica, etc.

But I’ll be super excited when I finally get them and will come up with team combos to play them on. I already made a chart of all the 3-5* “Team Iron Man” affiliated characters in case those characters’ PVPs run and I get Stark champed.

Many people won’t break hoards if the characters they get aren’t better than what they have. I respect that but would love to champ them all one day. The main thing I liked about the 4-tier was variety. You can have that in 5 land if you choose, but the time it takes to build it up is seemingly forever. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    WF doesn’t add to TU powers though, so you’d be burning all that TU just to drain the red. I don’t think there is a practical reason to do it, it’s not like you get punished for having it banked.
  • Painmonger
    Painmonger Posts: 152 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I forgot Okoye only had the 1 red, so yeah if you only had 10 red & 9 TU & there was only one enemy left & you'd lose on the next turn, the HB TU would make all the difference  ;)

Higher amounts of red AP & higher HB still work in an emergency, though. Just for fun, I will run the numbers at 370 & different amounts of AP to see how they compare.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Non-meta 5's gather dust as well as characters from any other tier.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Borstock said:
    Non-meta 5's gather dust as well as characters from any other tier.
    True enough, but the 5* tier is much smaller tha the 4* tier, and 5* acquisition is significantly different, so the optimum strategy may be a bit different.