The Safe Rant Thread for Letting Off Steam.

Comments

• Boogeyman
    Boogeyman Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    I have exactly 5 of 35 mythics from Eldraine.  I pull a dupe....  I don't even have all the commons yet and I receive a mythic dupe?!
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Boogeyman said:
    I have exactly 5 of 35 mythics from Eldraine.  I pull a dupe....  I don't even have all the commons yet and I receive a mythic dupe?!

I once played an IRL prerelease event and opened 4 Flameblade Angels in 2 kits :unamused:
  • Boogeyman
    jtwood said:
    Boogeyman said:

I once played an IRL prerelease event and opened 4 Flameblade Angels in 2 kits :unamused:
    At least you can sell or trade those.
  • jtwood
    Boogeyman said:
    jtwood said:
    Boogeyman said:

Right, and you got orbs which have a similar effect in this game
  • Boogeyman
    jtwood said:
    Boogeyman said:
    jtwood said:
    Boogeyman said:

Right, and you got orbs which have a similar effect in this game
    I think yours came out to a little more than mine ;)  I only need 7500 to pull another mythic from the same pack.  I got 750.  Soooooo...
  • Smokincookz
    Smokincookz Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I find it strange how some players don’t see a Greg who makes good matches consistently, or holds back cards. For me, he very rarely passes up a match 5, and often has mana gains close to or exceeding my own. I can rarely go through a TOTP match without him puking out a bunch of converters and dumping things like Emrakul. Why is it that certain players don’t see this Greg so much, if at all? I seem to be cursed by it.

Sometimes, I need to pay more attention to board control. However, many of these times Greg just cascades into mana, or his gem conversion will go off right next to the few gems needed to match. 

Tearing my hair out as the RNG keeps me from crafting the legacy mythics and MP’s needed to overcome this extreme tinykitty luck Greg has. Literally taking me forever to get the best cards.

I’d rather have a smart, plotting Greg. The losses wouldn’t feel so cheap that way.
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Smokincookz said:
    I find it strange how some players don’t see a Greg who makes good matches consistently, or holds back cards. For me, he very rarely passes up a match 5, and often has mana gains close to or exceeding my own. I can rarely go through a TOTP match without him puking out a bunch of converters and dumping things like Emrakul. Why is it that certain players don’t see this Greg so much, if at all? I seem to be cursed by it.

Sometimes, I need to pay more attention to board control. However, many of these times Greg just cascades into mana, or his gem conversion will go off right next to the few gems needed to match. 

Tearing my hair out as the RNG keeps me from crafting the legacy mythics and MP’s needed to overcome this extreme tinykitty luck Greg has. Literally taking me forever to get the best cards.

I’d rather have a smart, plotting Greg. The losses wouldn’t feel so cheap that way.
    I've kept my mouth shut because I just assumed it was perception bias on my end, but I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. I have that Greg too. He'll do 2-3 match-5's in a row on the same turn. Huge cascades are the norm, occurring every match, and sometimes more than once a match.

I, too, would prefer a smart, but less lucky Greg.
  • jtwood
    Quantius said:
    I've kept my mouth shut because I just assumed it was perception bias on my end, but I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. I have that Greg too. He'll do 2-3 match-5's in a row on the same turn. Huge cascades are the norm, occurring every match, and sometimes more than once a match.

I, too, would prefer a smart, but less lucky Greg.
    I feel like you just describe my luck in every game. I get way more consecutive match-5s than I would intuitively expect to happen. Multiple times per game, I get tons of massive cascades out of nowhere; the kind where the game drops 4 of the same color gems in a row and you just go "Okay."
    Maybe you're actually playing against me every time ;)
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019

I'm pretty sure that we have a different Greg in every event, and even at different parts of every event.

ToTP Greg is brutal, because ToTP should be brutal.  AWR Greg is a joke, because that event is a joke.

Also, at the beginning of an event Greg sucks but the longer you hold your perfect the smarter his matches become.  That's why everyone always seems to lose a perfect on the last couple rounds, after usually steamrolling the event up until then.  And Greg will ALWAYS get a massive cascade when you have lethal on board.  Every time.

Of course none of this is officially confirmed because Oktagon's PR team does not have much of a presence.  But it's what I've noticed over the last year or so.

//Removed Insult -Brigby
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    In my experience, Greg:
    • Holds back cards rarely, and apparently never when the cards are castable and targetable (noting that nobody appears to have identified any confirmed case to the contrary)
    • Usually takes reasonably good matches, but occasionally takes a bad match when a good one is available
    • Does not appear to deliberately take excellent matches (e.g. does not optimise for cascades which can be predicted from the gems on-screen)
    • Therefore, all else being equal, over the long run, cannot gain as many cascades or as much mana as a skilled player
    • Makes cascades with just as much likelihood at any point in a game, all else being equal (noting that chance of cascade increases when more gem changing supports are affecting the board, which implies on average more cascades in late game than early game)
    • Behaves the same in nearly every event (noting that a powerful deck generally makes cascades both more frequent and more consequential, simply because of what the cards in the deck actually do)
    • Sometimes gets crazy cascades, but so do I (my favourite being when I occasionally get match-5s from off screen when deliberately taking the least-cascadey match just to move to attack phase and end the game)
  • jtwood
    Just gonna leave this here. I missed exiling Greg’s Omnisicience by 1 mana when he had no cards in hand. One turn later, I’m facing this. Spoiler alert: I won. 

• Rasalghul
    Rasalghul Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    I’m really angry because I used 600 jewels on Rare+ and in 3 of 4 packs I had the same Rare I already have, in addition to another dupe rare and a dupe mythic. 
  • Smokincookz
    Why has the holiday gift elite mythic + pool not rotated as scheduled this week? Or the week before. Still the same set of ELD cards that are all dupes for me. 
  • Smokincookz
    Annnd I just accidentally hit “claim” while double checking it hadn’t rotated. FfffffTinykittyrrrrghh,

support had better help on this one. Two weeks I’ve waited, take my 750 orbs back and rotate the pool already!
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    When you try to complete the "Play with only commons and uncommons," objective and you're matched against an opponent who has a deck full of mythics.

-_-
  • Boogeyman
    When you try to complete the "Play with only commons and uncommons," objective and you're matched against an opponent who has a deck full of mythics.

-_-
    Yes, I am playing that event right now and wow....
  • Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    Is that challenge of the courts? - if so I blame the stupid node charge system of that event for that
  • FindingHeart8
    Avahad said:
    Is that challenge of the courts? - if so I blame the stupid node charge system of that event for that
    You got it!  Yeah that setup was annoying.  Hopefully it won't cycle in again soon
  • ih8regin
    ih8regin Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    edited January 2020
    To hell with this app. Softlocking all over the place. Just having 2 cards that pull off the graveyard is enough to get stuffed into one with a won board. [Profanity redacted BK]
  • FindingHeart8
    edited January 2020
    ih8regin said:
    To hell with this app. Softlocking all over the place. Just having 2 cards that pull off the graveyard is enough to get stuffed into one with a won board. 
    [Profanity redacted BK]
    There are some tricks to dodging *some* soft locks (my personal example, dont try to open the menu/objective screen while an animation is happening or it might freeze your game), but some have seemed just unavoidable.