Real question: Has anyone ever actually fully completed a shield training?

Options
ROY84
ROY84 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
How possible is it to champion a new cover in 7 days when it's not even available with cp and the special event pack it's in doesn't even give it improved odds?

Just wondering if anyone has ever actually done it. 

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,293 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's not cheap but people who do it are probably pushing hard everywhere.

Let's say they didn't get first in PVE, only T 10 and got 3 covers.  T5 in PVP is 2 more.  Then progression in PVE and PVP and you have 7 covers total, one from ST, 8 and one more from Alliance rewards in PVE and you have 9 covers.   Chase the vault for a few hundred or so and you're good.

These are people who spend thousands on new 5's.......
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,558 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Don't underestimate how much some people are willing to spend on this game.

Add to that the players who always finish in T5 and you get at least a few dozen people who can finish the training.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
     I finish about two out of three times. Doing as suggested above getting the final covers from the vault. Sometimes I don’t get the thirteenth cover until ST has expired
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
     I finish about two out of three times. Doing as suggested above getting the final covers from the vault. Sometimes I don’t get the thirteenth cover until ST has expired
    I'm assuming this requires a couple of vault resets?

Here is the breakdown as I see it. First off the assumption is all these players completing the training are playing SCL9. And I'll do this for Karolina Dean to give specific examples

Staff Appreciation Day Rewards -> T5  -> 1 Yellow, 1 Blue
    Venom Bomb Rewards -> T2 -> 2 Yellow, 1 Blue, 1 Green
    Venom Bomb Alliance Rewards -> T100  -> 1 Green
    Sunday's Child Progression Reward -> 1 Green
    Unstable ISO-8 Progression Reward -> 1 Blue
    SHIELD Training -> 1 Random cover (I received a Yellow so will use that)
    Vault -> 1 Cover (I think the colour is different for everyone, mine is Blue)

So now we are at a 4/4/3 build.

Two more resets, I've never reset one so I'm assuming the colour of the new release changes with a reset? Otherwise I wouldn't be able to get to 13 covers. I'd be 4/6/3 and cannot get above lvl 250.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,293 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Yes, absolutely you need a couple resets.

The color is random every reset so RNG might make you reset a couple times before you clear it.

Again, we're talking a few hundred $ in HP used to get that LT and the bragging rights, and I guess have a champed 4 immediately for use during the new character boost.

IMO there are almost no 4's worth that but everyone makes their own call; I'm not one to spend anywhere near that much money in the game in one short period anyway.

EDIT:  Maybe Worthy and Juggs and Bishop and Chavez were worth that or at least justifiable.....more recent ones, not at all.

I suppose it's worth noting that the new release period is the time you will see that character the most (well, most likely) in terms of vaults and stores, at ANY point in the game, unless they make some special point of it later on.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yes I generally reset the vault two or three times. It is rng on the new cover. I have had to burn a couple resets to get the thirteenth cover in the vault.
    One reason I do it is because it is the only time covers are easily available to purchase via hp for an extended time.
    I am still considering a change in strategy now that shards are here. Knowing I can generate a full shard per five days I might slow down my vault purchases in favor of 40-packs which will give me the last covers too.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:

Again, we're talking a few hundred $ in HP used to get that LT and the bragging rights, and I guess have a champed 4 immediately for use during the new character boost.

IMO there are almost no 4's worth that but everyone makes their own call; I'm not one to spend anywhere near that much money in the game in one short period anyway.

Now, I'm sure Colognoisseur can correct me if I'm wrong, but I would imagine that the people getting the new characters champed off the bat aren't spending for the new character, they are spending for the cp for the 5's, and the resultant hp had to go somewhere, so it might as well be for the new characters. 
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I did it once.  I forgot who the character was, but there was one time when the training ended after the release pve.  Lucked into one cover in the store and somewhere else.  That was the only time ever.   :|
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I didn't, but I can imagine a lot of people did for Ghosts Shield Training. IIRC Ghost had lots of covers raining out during her release.