Locked out Characters

Options
Twysta
Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
I don't know about the rest of you guys but I actually felt the Family Reunion PvP was a nice change.
Bring back heroic PvE's I say!

...that and the Steam UI.

Comments

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, I would have except all my best characters were locked out. If I had a champed Gladiathor I would have loved it.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,306 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Each player's experience will vary wildly depending on how developed their roster is.

There are now 89 4's in the game.  Heroic PVEs used (basically) the 5 boosted characters with the "reinforcements" helping out on each day, and I think they never had any 4* reinforcements under the old rules.

5/89 is about 5.6% of the tier.....locking out, say, Rocket would probably make a lot of people mad.

Heroics made a lot more sense when there were a lot less characters in the game.

I didn't terribly mind this PVP but scores were low and matches were long.  But, no Bishop or Worthy!  So that was nice.  I am glad to see the devs trying new things.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,711 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hated it and it reminded me why I don’t want heroics back. Gave up after 7 matches. If I had max champed fours I might have felt differently.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I liked it a lot.  Except I did that the thing I usually do and join in the last 8 hours. This was a big mistake because it cost healthpacks in ways it wouldn’t have if I had my whole roster available to me. So I barely hit 900 and shielded under. Next time I’ll circumvent that by joining earlier and climbing over several days. 

I experimented a tiny bit, but my main team was Loki, GladThor, Gamora. 
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bluewolf said:

Heroics made a lot more sense when there were a lot less characters in the game.

I actually feel the opposite. As someone who HATES the thought of using the same characters over and over, I very much welcome the thought of being forced to think of new combinations and use new characters in ways I haven't before. I'm going out of my way to champ all these characters, I'd like to think that it's for a greater purpose than simply being a new avenue for champ rewards. But then again I no longer really play for placement, so I'm just looking to get some variety out of a game I'v been playing for years. 

As far as this PVP goes, I didn't really mind it until I got north of 700 points. Then all the 5-star players decided that their 470 Cardusa combos were a better defense than their 5-stars. 
  • peterdark
    peterdark Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This one was difficult for me as most of my damage dealers or anyone I could use against special tile creators were locked out. Yep, I got owned by Cardusa.

But on the flip side I didn't meet a Grocket + Juggs/Kitty/ Captain suicide &Marvel team :)

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,306 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I should have been more clear. 

For vets Heroic events feel fresh and interesting. 

For newer people with a few champed 4’s; who have dozens of covered 4’s but no iso to champ them; or who have dozens of 4’s with a few covers. All those people would feel frustrated when the characters they bonused/targeted for a long time become unusable and they are left trying to do something with the people they can’t focus on in the Age of Dilution. 

And it is clear that Targeted Heroes is leaning into focused development over broad development, probably because it is more acceptable to the devs to make it easier to chase specific people with a clear path to progress than it would be to overcome dilution via a large increase in more generally useful rewards (more CP or tokens or HP or whatever).

So for all the newer players, Heroic pves or things like a Heroic pvp can feel bad. At least this one used a lot of the meta characters that many people already chase and have champed. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't like it for PvPs, but I do like it for PvEs.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock said:
    I don't like it for PvPs, but I do like it for PvEs.
    I'm with Borstock here.  It's fresh and challenging for PVEs.  For PVPs it was maddening.  The endless stream of Gamora/Carnage/Medusa took forever.  If you happened to see anything else, you pounced on it (2x).  My climbing non-Gamora/Carnage/Medusa team got hit 5x by one guy back to back...  That never happens in standard PVP.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Well except now with 89 4*s, you could expand heroics to say 20 4* characters, giving enough diversity and options for most rosters.  I don't think the old model of only 5 options of characters would work anymore.

Offer a similar ratio of 3 and 5* characters as well.  Make people figure out decent combinations.  Since rosters are limited, the difficulties of nodes in each SCL could be slightly decreased to make up for this facet of heroics (although I would be ok keeping them the same personally). 
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 571 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I LOVE the idea of more limiting of character use in PvP or others. Standard PVP is typically either the requred with 4R&G/Kitty, or Thorkye.

if you locked these characters out sometimes you'll get much larger variation.

• grumbLEGO
    grumbLEGO Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I enjoyed the change, but then I make it a point to have a complete roster and managed to have 3 5*s I could use, thanos/OML/black bolt worked very well for me, not well enough to get a spider ham cover I wanted but still.  
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I liked the change from the usual teams in pvp, but I did have all the 4*s and at pretty decent levels this time too. I can see how the experience would instead be unpleasant for a non veteran roster, as bluewolf pointed out. 

Maybe, if there was a way for newer rosters to unlock a loaner character just for the event? Say, with a little HP and add covers for it with red Iso-8? And if they had a hard copy of the character, the loaner starts with the same number of covers. Something like that. 
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd love to see more limited events, but maybe less restrictive. A long time ago they ran a "women only" (Women of Marvel? Girls' Night Out? Can't remember the name) event and it was fun. Only women? Only men? Only heroes? Only villains? There's a lot of broader categories available to pull from to make interesting roster selection options every now and then in an event.