Current Standard "MUST HAVE" Cards

Boogeyman
Boogeyman Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
Hello, 

What are the top 10 cards I should try and craft or obtain in the current rotation?

I have a few that I suggest:
- Killer Instinct
- Stitch in Time
- Trostani
- Razia
- High Alert
- Mirror March
- Rakdos Demons
- Finale of Glory
- Sun Titan

Any suggestions on your favorite MUST HAVES

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Fathom Mage
    Finale of Devastation (green one)
    March of the Multitudes

These are the easy ones I can think of that aren't on your list.  I'm sure there are more I'll add later lol.
  • Theophilus
    Theophilus Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Those are great. A few more that are worthy of consideration are:

Borborygmos
    Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord (Vanguard)
    Finale of Revelation (blue)
    Ajani, Inspiring Leader (Vanguard)
  • thesmallesthuman
    thesmallesthuman Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Serum Powder
    Golos
    Deadbridge Chant (okay, maybe not top10 but once you have Killer Instinct they are amazing together)
    Brazen Borrower and Beanstalk Giant both fill some big holes that the standard shift left in their respective colors
    Repeated Reverberations
    Casualties of War
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    *Must have* is a bit strong, for most of what's been listed. I think there are some that are definitely more meaningful in the current standard.
    • Killer Instinct (I think this is fueling a lot of decks right now)
    • Urza, Lord High Artificer (easily one of the best cards)
    • Casualties of War (an incredibly important card at this time)
    • Deathsprout (because of the slower format and this being removal + full mana land fetch, this has outsized value)
    • Kenrith's Transformation (This card has completely changed token decks and is fueling some of the fastest decks)
    • Beacon Bolt (a staple win condition for spell heavy decks)
    • Repeated Reverberation (I think people have a hard time wanting to hold back a spell in order to leverage this spell, but RR remains one of the more important cards we've seen in a long time)
    • Assassin's Trophy (multipurpose removal saves deck space and in a format where people are including more lands/converters, it's a frequently necessary choice)
    • Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God Vanguard (loyalty fuel and I personally feel that it should be in almost every deck that carries red or black)

• Nalthazar
    Nalthazar Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    1.) Killer Instinct
    2.) Urza, Lord High Artificer
    3.) Razia, Boros Archangel
    4.) Golos, Tireless Pilgrim
    5.) Primeval Titan
    6.) Etrata, the Silencer
    7.) Trostani Discordant
    8.) March of the Multitudes
    9.) Electrodominance
    10.) Deathsprout

Honorable mentions
    -Cavalier of Thorns
    -Frost Titan
    -Rakdos twins
    -Embercleave
    -Finale of Eternity
    -Finale of Devastation
    -The Great Aurora
    -Casualties of War
    -Expansion//Explosion

• Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards

I agree with much of what you stated above … great choices.

-Storm the vau… er, I mean Urza ;) - Seriously, this card is no joke. Killing Urza alone does not solve the mana conversion problem and a support removal that can target lands is also needed in one's build or if using Vraska 1. Storm the Vault almost pales by comparison... almost. lol I can't wait to get my dirty paws on this one.

-Death Bridge- An easy way to meet X creatures cast objective and paired with Killer instinct allows for a faster match.

- Yarok - doubling enter the battlefield effects in many cases can tip the match heavily in your favor.

-God-Eternal Rhonas- In my opinion this is easily one of the most OP cards in the game next to Gaia's Over-sized Owl Pellet of Revenge.

-Chord of Calling- This card can bring out some fairly powerful creatures if needed.

-Quasiduplicate- Stupid cheap way to cheat out expensive creatures and now that Oktagon raised the bar on some costs for many creatures in standard, this card will hold more weight in deck building.

-Faerie Formation- I know that this is an exclusive at the moment but hear me out ... this card rocks! Present meta has ways to convert blue very effectively and even more so with Storm the Urza which will pop a fair number of activation gems every turn. One note that I caught when using this. If you pop the activation gems (always blue) the next turn will see up to X more activation gems appear and they are converted to blue if blue gems on the board are less than 5; X being the number of activation gems that popped the prior turn, so technically we have additional blue conversion. With 5 activation gems every turn, that is a fair number of opportunities to bring out faerie tokens. plus a 6/5 flying creature for 14 mana on top of all that is a great buy. That and S3 can fetch him. (didn't mean to over sell this but seeing that it is an exclusive and having played with it I felt the forum deserved some feed back on my experience using it).

-Chulane teller of tales- again another exclusive but danged if this guy won't go away.  Barring exile,  he bounces back to your hand with 8 mana when killed. He bounces any creature back to your hand this way... Killer instinct included.  

There's more but the great posts above covered many of them.  

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Razia and Szadek, my personal staples in every color they can fit.  Because I enjoy quick games. :)
  • Theophilus
    Theophilus Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Razia and Szadek, my personal staples in every color they can fit :)
    Szadek with Glimpse the Unthinkable (or other cost increasing cards) is a wonderful pairing! Greg usually can't get enough mana to cast the card that keeps getting drained every turn. He doesn't appear smart enough to change the first card to something more castable.
  • WiLDRAGE
    WiLDRAGE Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    In no particular odrer:

Leyline of Singularity - there are too many tokens in standard.
    Sword of Truth and Justice - Vanguard fuel.
    Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord - Lifelink for all your creatures means you can usually race anything
    Nicol Bolas, Dragon God - Draw/Discard on demand and a loyalty battery.

And these last three, I play together so often because they trivialize a lot of encounters:

Firemane Angel - self-recursion
    Killer Instinct - puts Firemane Angel in the bin
    Embercleave - make the self-recurring Angel kill everything

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    not including commons/uncommons

Leyline of Singularity
    Killer Instinct
    Finale of Revelation
    Fires of Invention
    Razia
    March of the Multitudes
    Casualties of War
    Mox Tantalite
    Tamiyo vanguard
    Repeated Reverberation

• Horadrim
    Horadrim Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Fires of Invention : Red (standard) as Omniscience : Blue (legacy)
  • Horadrim
    edited December 2019
    Urza : Standard as Storm the Vault/Spell Swindle : Legacy
  • Horadrim
    Piper/Ratter Rat Plague combo : Standard as Imminent Doom/Aetherflux Reservoir : Legacy
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    Horadrim said:
    Piper/Ratter Rat Plague combo : Standard as Imminent Doom/Aetherflux Reservoir : Legacy
    Careful running into Razia as she throws Piper's menace and the rats right back at you.
  • Horadrim
    edited December 2019
    Aeroplane said:
    Horadrim said:
    Careful running into Razia as she throws Piper's menace and the rats right back at you.
    True... same goes with Imminent Doom. I just ran my Wrenn and Six with Razia and my opponent was Sarkhan3 running imminent doom. I just giggled. The thing with Rat plague, you can have a lot of creature destruction (I usually run with liliana angrath or consume for non-targeting just in case hexproof) unlike imminent doom that usually runs draw spells.... i.e. more controlled.
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    starfall said:
    Quantius said:
    • Repeated Reverberation (I think people have a hard time wanting to hold back a spell in order to leverage this spell, but RR remains one of the more important cards we've seen in a long time)
    Maybe some people don't know that if you copy an X spell which has full basic mana but 0 stored mana, you get 2 copies with full stored mana.

That, and you can leave the original spell disabled in hand and copy it with other RR's so you always have it available.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2019
    Urza
    Kess
    Connive
    Magic Mirror
    Embercleave
    Casualties of War
    God Eternal Rhonas
    Grave Titan
    Frost Titan