R192: Champion Rewards Updates

Comments

• Khanwulf
    Khanwulf Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2019
    So. 10 CP on the 3* reward track is half of a 4/5* pull but only translates to 100 shards? Foul!

You want to convert everything to shards? Ok: ((600 shards *15%) + (400 shards * 85%))/2 = (90 + 340)/2 =  215 shards. So you have net reduced 3* rewards by 115 shards.

Thanks! /s

Personally I'd much rather have the CP as that's the only way (still) to get 5* pulls. Reducing CP rewards means progression will be even slower going to 5*-land.

Similarly, on the 4* track you take a cover and break it apart into 600 shards, but in a few places those shards ALSO replace CP rewards. Foul!

You are reducing ISO rewards through this as well. ISO that the game is starved of.

If you want to spread out rewards (shards), do not reduce the rest of the net rewards. 

--Khanwulf

Edit: IceX makes the inflammatory statement that the "flexibility of the rewards, the power of that had to come from *somewhere*." No. No it doesn't. These are numbers in a game where advancement is already very slow. With saved covers the marginal utility of shards is reduced--it's not like these champ level shards are going to our current favorite, only the one set per hero.

It would take very little effort to spread the missing rewards throughout the chart, making it net equal but with the tiny utility of earlier shards.

Distinctly unimpressed.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    KGB said:
    DarthDeVo said:

All weekend I told anyone in any of my alliance families: pull as many tokens as you can now. Get as many rewards as you can now, and then get the retroactive rewards on top when the update comes. That's what I'm doing. 

Why? 

Because that's the precedent that had been set in the past. Why should we expect much different otherwise? 

Thousands (probably tens of thousands across all our alliances) of Standards, Elites, Heroic, and Latest tokens were pulled.

I think this is the exact reason why they did what they did. An incredible number of players attempting to double dip rewards across all tiers (3, 4 and 5). On top of that it's at a lot more champion reward spots since shards replaced multiple rewards instead of just a single reward (ie 3 shard award slots in 4* champ rewards to get 1 cover instead of just a single award for a cover at 300, 320 etc).

Clearly they should have given more than 12 hrs notice and a better breakdown but it's understandable they didn't want to shower vets with tons of extra resources that other newer players weren't going to be getting.

KGB
    KGB,
    The veterans feel they "earned" these rewards based on dozens upon dozens of historical precedents.
    Why do you reinforce a message that veterans did not "earn" these rewards that you called double dips?  

What exactly do you have against veterans, that you don't think they should get "paid" for their time served?

The veterans have loved this game, and trusted this game to recruit constantly for this game.
    They showed their friends this game. 
    They introduced their friends to the LINE and Discord communities. 
    Many have hundreds if not thousands of Facebook friends because of this game and have introduced this game to hundreds of thousands of people.

I have nothing against veterans at all.

As I stated in the other big post, I fully 100% believe you should get ALL those 5* shards/covers.

But I also believe you (me, everyone) should have to give back all the double dip rewards. So for a Max 370,  you should have to give back 6 LTs and 60 cp. Otherwise, you earned MORE than what I would for doing the exact same thing (max champing a 4*).

Hence I suggested D3 allow a 1 time customer service request (as they did when they ended cover swaps and allowed dup 5* to be broken into saved covers) from each player for anything they want addressed and then you agree to give back the double dip rewards in return for the 5* shards (or 4* or 3* etc whatever you want to address).

That's fair to the entire player base. Everyone. You, me (a long time player with a fully champed 4* roster player in the 280-300 range), newer players in the 3* and below range and so on. That's all I am asking for, fairness across the board (note, I am fine with the extra 100 shard bonus for vets per 20 levels as a vet bonus).

KGB

• shadow2999
    shadow2999 Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    KGB,
    No that isnt fair in any sense of the word. 

1.  Its impractical, and an undue burden to the CS team as well as the individual players for having to go through and correctly identify everything in their roster.  Too error prone.
    2.  As stated, the precident was set for years.  Anytime someone comes into a game later, they are likely have missed items along the way.  Look at Kickstarters.  They often get rewards that are not available post launch, but they get them because they were there at the beginning and contributed early (and with cash).
    3.  I get that new players might feel bad about it now, but the inevietable next wave of feeder updates or reward updates in general, they would then get their opportunity to "double" dip though that isnt really a fair description.  The company changes the rules and structure of their rewards its only fair to give said rewards IN FULL to those who would have earned them. 

While i respect that you disagree, I do believe its wrong and the current system is a complete reversal on how the company handled things in the past, how they outlined this update and a complete failure to honest communication with their customers.  They need to fix this soon, not two or three months from now, and they know its the right thing to do, I just wonder if they will actually do it.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    There was a solution to the flood of 5* covers, and it was to assign 5* feeders to newish-release 4*s that (relatively) nobody has yet at high levels. That even happened for some, by tying Hela to Magik etc. It was a choice to make them older 4*s and then to try and nerf the payout on top of it. Also tying desirable 5s to openly undesirable 4s (kitty to Frost) we've even seen done before, with Psylocke->Peggy the last time 3* champ rewards got an update. There are no shortage of 4* characters in the game, there'll certainly be 1 or 2 more before the hubub of all this dies down even.

Doing that is the most fair option I can think of to make it so the answer to succeeding in this game isn't "go back in time to 2015 and play for 3hrs a day."
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:
    DarthDeVo said:

All weekend I told anyone in any of my alliance families: pull as many tokens as you can now. Get as many rewards as you can now, and then get the retroactive rewards on top when the update comes. That's what I'm doing. 

Why? 

Because that's the precedent that had been set in the past. Why should we expect much different otherwise? 

Thousands (probably tens of thousands across all our alliances) of Standards, Elites, Heroic, and Latest tokens were pulled.

I think this is the exact reason why they did what they did. An incredible number of players attempting to double dip rewards across all tiers (3, 4 and 5). On top of that it's at a lot more champion reward spots since shards replaced multiple rewards instead of just a single reward (ie 3 shard award slots in 4* champ rewards to get 1 cover instead of just a single award for a cover at 300, 320 etc).

Clearly they should have given more than 12 hrs notice and a better breakdown but it's understandable they didn't want to shower vets with tons of extra resources that other newer players weren't going to be getting.

KGB
    Many have called it double-dipping and that simply isn't true, it is more like 1.15x dipping when you consider the increased value of a cover or full set of shards compared with an LT and if they wanted to change their long-established practice when it came to adding feeders then they should have simply announced that we wouldn't be getting 1:1 but would instead be getting 85% of the shards to account for the previous LT they had gained, instead they have decided that anyone who has passed those vital points in building a character can instead get a tiny fraction of what they would have got if they had simply been slower building their characters or hoarded their covers rather than levelling up their characters.

It is utterly asinine that they have gone out of their way to alienate their longer term (and almost certainly higher paying) players for the sake of some retroactive rewards that would mean little to their bottom-line and would have done a lot to offset the dissatisfaction that people were already feeling at the loss of useful resources in the switch over to shards. 
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    KGB said:

But I also believe you (me, everyone) should have to give back all the double dip rewards. So for a Max 370,  you should have to give back 6 LTs and 60 cp. Otherwise, you earned MORE than what I would for doing the exact same thing (max champing a 4*).

Hence I suggested D3 allow a 1 time customer service request (as they did when they ended cover swaps and allowed dup 5* to be broken into saved covers) from each player for anything they want addressed and then you agree to give back the double dip rewards in return for the 5* shards (or 4* or 3* etc whatever you want to address).

That's fair to the entire player base. Everyone. You, me (a long time player with a fully champed 4* roster player in the 280-300 range), newer players in the 3* and below range and so on. That's all I am asking for, fairness across the board (note, I am fine with the extra 100 shard bonus for vets per 20 levels as a vet bonus).

KGB

The next time a feeder gets announced and its a character you've already passed those thresholds for, I'd love to see how "fair" you think it is when instead of getting the covers for those champ levels that you earned fair and square, you instead have to build a dupe and reach those thresholds again. Somehow I doubt you'd be too thrilled about having to duplicate work that took you several months to do, all because it isn't "fair" to someone who by no fault of your own, hasn't progressed as far in the game and doesn't have that character at the same level as you do. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd sent an in-game CS request the moment I thought there'd been a mistake on shard issuance for Rogue when the rewards hit, and I only just got back a reply saying "we're looking into it, in the meantime check the forums." To actually have a transaction play out for a meaningful number of players would be non-trivial. 
  • Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    My 1* review has been posted.

Why is everyone fighting against each other again? We are not the problem and should be united.  The recent promises and pulling the rug out from under us should be our focus.
  • shadow2999
    shadow2999 Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Agreed.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    In answer to all the replies I received above:

I am a late stage 4* player starting the 5* transition. I've played for roughly 5 years now so I went through the era of no saved covers (and had plenty expire). So what about it? The game was what it was then in the same manner as I once could smoke indoors at my job, drink and drive, spank my kids and many other things no longer allowed. In other words, things change and talking about the old times isn't relevant.

Also, I have zero problem giving back the extra LT's I got on the 5* covers I was awarded (I got 1 for each of the new feeders).

Whitecat,  you were supposed to get 100 extra shards per 20 levels on a 5*. That's what ICEIX post refers to when he says 100 shards for each place you would have received a 5* cover. That's why a max champ gets 500 shards. Those 500 are the 5 bonus points.

The problem the vets are having is that they are confusing the champion rewards update with a feeder announcement. What D3 did was a champion rewards update across all the tiers to integrate shards. At the same time they added in 4/5* feeders, changed existing feeders, added might tokens etc.

So when you want to double dip on the new shards for your 5*, then every other reward at every other tier (3 and 4) that got changed should be allowed to double dip too. Because essentially they replaced the L296 of 4 CP with 100 shards. How is that any different than replacing the 3* reward at L211 of 50 HP with 1 Mighty token? It's just a change of rewards. You are asking to be compensated twice (once when you reached there and once again now with the shards). So why should anyone who has reached 211 with a 3* not be treated the same?

In essence you want special compensation for specific reward changes because it happens to be 'a 5* feeder'. If D3 grants this, then they are giving special compensation for vet rosters. There will be an uproar from other player on why they weren't able to double dip on their changes on other tier rewards (you can see players asking about this in multiple posts).

I doubt D3 wants to 'make it rain' rewards in double dipping across all tiers because that would be unprecedented resource giveaway AND would heavily favor deep veteran roster.
    I also doubt they want to treat some portion of the player base specially by only granting double dipping on 5* feeders.

Hence I suggested a fair compromise where players could request reward swaps they wanted but would have to give back what they had already earned at that particular level. It's obviously going to be a nightmare, never said it wasn't. But it would be fair and that's probably the best D3 can do.

KGB
  • Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    I’ll add that this does not matter if you are new or a veteran. If we don’t come together, this will keep happening. Let’s keep focus on what happened or it could happen to all of us at some point. 
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    Still can’t understand why you concern yourself with other folks compensation. It makes no sense.