Will Justin's infamous comment haunt D3 through the coming days?

Seriously. The update itself was bad enough, but that comment read like a slap in the face. With that disrespectful, condescending tone, I was convinced: this game will no longer receive my money. I'll just be looking for other games that capture my attention to support.

Comments

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Seriously. The update itself was bad enough, but that comment read like a slap in the face. With that disrespectful, condescending tone, I was convinced: this game will no longer receive my money. I'll just be looking for other games that capture my attention to support.
    He's apparently apologized.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anyone can misspeak or say something that reads diifferently than it was intended.  So I have some sympathy for demi_justin.  But yes, this comment will linger as a meme on this forum (much like "you're supposed to lose").
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    what was the comment? 

• ROY84
    ROY84 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    What did he say exactly?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
    ROY84 said:
    What did he say exactly?
    He already apologized.....

He plays the game at a very low level....as an employee (not a designer) he understandably stands up for his team.

We explained later our frustration and he was understanding.

Move on to your own actions...

Lower the rating, adjust your spending/playing, reverse charges, etc.  Or celebrate the update if you choose.
  • Vhailorx
    edited December 2019
    ROY84 said:
    What did he say exactly?
    Someone posted a screenshot over in the main thread here on the forums, but I can't find it now.

A loose paraphrase of the statement would be: "I don't understand what y'all are so upset about.  You are mad about, in the end, being given free stuff." I will update with the exact quote of i can find it.

Edit: The statement is the statement and I see no reason to leave it out of this thread.  But as I said in my first post above, I am not on board for attacking demi_justin directly.  Everyone has said something that they didn't mean and/or got them in trouble, and we don't need to crucify individuals.
  • huktonfonix
    huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    Justin did nothing wrong.  He was surprised by the response to "free stuff", asked questions, learned, and shared feedback.

I'm beyond angry about this update, but don't take it out on a developer who didn't make the decision and genuinely didn't understand the initial frustration.
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2019
    Justin did nothing wrong.  He was surprised by the response to "free stuff", asked questions, learned, and shared feedback.

I'm beyond angry about this update, but don't take it out on a developer who didn't make the decision and genuinely didn't understand the initial frustration.
    Taking it out on the product =!= Taking it out on him.

I am not messaging, harassing him. I'm not doing anything to him, actually. I'm saying that the game and the company will hurt under that comment. Which is true - it's already spreading like wildfire on the reddit.

And I think that comment looks far worse on the MPQ team than it does on him, because for him to not have any clue how condescending it came across shows that the team itself is not being honest and transparent with one another. Like you pointed out, it seems to me that he genuinely believed we were complaining about getting free stuff. That could only happen if his coworkers (or higher ups) were not being transparent about how they were structuring this move.

EDIT:

And while I agree that he's not a vile sinner who should be burned at the stake, saying he did nothing wrong is either naive or hyperbolic. You ever gone in on the back end of any sort of trade or exchange where one party is very apparently agitated and heated and said "what, why you mad about the great deal you just got?" He may not have been malicious / well-informed enough to be malicious, but it certainly lacked tact, even with the position he started in.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    Nothing productive comes from calling him out in a public forum where he does not participate. All that does is paint a target on him specifically, which he does not deserve. His attitude and willingness to listen to feedback after his initial comment shows a lot, and as such, posts like these are unfair and not constructive.
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 577 Critical Contributor
    can't you just delete this thread?  Or ask that it be deleted?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    justsing said:
    Nothing productive comes from calling him out in a public forum where he does not participate. All that does is paint a target on him specifically, which he does not deserve. His attitude and willingness to listen to feedback after his initial comment shows a lot, and as such, posts like these are unfair and not constructive.
    Whilst I agree with you it isn't really a persuasive argument for people who never interact with him as they have no reason to play "fair". It is almost the reverse Discord argument - "This isn't an official Discord channel why should I go there to voice my issues relating to this game instead of the Official channel when this but is insulting the playerbase?".

I say leave the guy alone but people might not agree and any comment from the Devs ends up as THE comment from the Devs.  I still give him props for the "y'all"...😂
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    justsing said:
    Whilst I agree with you it isn't really a persuasive argument for people who never interact with him as they have no reason to play "fair". It is almost the reverse Discord argument - "This isn't an official Discord channel why should I go there to voice my issues relating to this game instead of the Official channel when this but is insulting the playerbase?".

I say leave the guy alone but people might not agree and any comment from the Devs ends up as THE comment from the Devs.  I still give him props for the "y'all"...😂
    Except the OP is on Discord afaik... He saw the comment on Discord and decided to come call him out on the forums... 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    justsing said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    justsing said:

Except the OP is on Discord afaik... He saw the comment on Discord and decided to come call him out on the forums... 
    No doubt the Mods on Discord are protecting Justin, that doesn't mean OP  can't come vent here, the "Official Forum". Likewise Justin could come here and defend himself.

It will all blow over with regard to this comment. I think posters who have explained that it was made in haste and has been withdrawn have the right strategy in posting here. It was a pretty poorly constructed sentence but we all make mistakes.

• halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    “I’m not saying attack the person. I’m just saying tell the company you’re strongly dissatisfied and oh also this person said something I don’t like and btw did I mention I’m dissatisfied.”

yuck. I hope this thread is deleted soon. 
  • bowla33
    bowla33 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    To be that obtuse about it, he deserves to be called out and lambasted. 

secondary actions are no excuse for the original statement.  
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    As far as I’m concerned he spoke for the company. Don’t think those exact words haven’t been said in both offices.
  • Vhailorx
    As far as I’m concerned he spoke for the company. Don’t think those exact words haven’t been said in both offices.
    You are, of course, welcome to think that of you like.  But it's head-canon you made up yourself without any real evidence.  Would you feel the same way if someone else decided that they knew exactly how you felt based on something a colleague of yours said?

Discord statements are explicitly not PR statements by demi or d3.  That's why the devs use it and that's why it's unfair to extrapolate much from this comment beyond general tone-deafness.
This discussion has been closed.