On Retroactive Rewards

Comments

• captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    Yes, the vets already earned a token at those levels.  But that token is not always a 5 star.  

Without the vets, this game would probably not have lasted this long.  We are invested in our rosters in both time and money.  

I remember the time when all players got a potential windfall of iso depending on their rosters.  I imagine many of us were looking for something at least fair to vets like that time was.  IMO, a company should value their current customers at least as much as their newer customers.  Especially since the current, long-standing customers have already shown an interest and are more likely to have built up a habit of spending.

The comment that it is just free stuff goes in both directions.  It really doesn't cost anything to give out in-game prizes.  But it does build rapport and loyalty.

The problem with that analogy is that when all of that iso was handed out, it was for retroactive Shield rank.  If your amount of play put you at rank 60 that day, you earned all of the ISO that you should have earned for every rank up to rank 60.  But the new players start from rank 1.  After much playing, when they reach rank 60 they will have received the same amount of ISO rewards that you earned on your insta-rank 60 day.

Retroactive level rewards is not the same cup of Kool-Aid.  When a feeder gets introduced, people with a large 4* Iceman will have already earned an LT for every tenth level.   Then you expect additionally the retroactive 5* cover.  Whereas a newer player will not receive an LT and a 5* cover when they receive that rank.

It's funny how much the Unfair label gets tossed around now that it's us on the short end.  But when we were double dipping those rewards while the newer players could not, there was no mention of it being unfair in our favor.

However, in the big picture, one legendary token is not much.  It takes a long time to actually fully-cover a five star.  A legendary token is just the ability to roll the dice, it isn't a winning dice roll.  IMO, unfair still applies.

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dogface said:
    Dogface said:
    Dogface said:
    The current set-up might be unfair to vets, but wouldn't it be unfair to newer players if veteran players got retroactively rewarded 6 covers additional to the rewards they got in the process? 
    No because the vets earned those covers by spending years and $ leveling said characters.
    So vets deserve more than I do? 

Dogface, if the "vet" gets what they should have, how does this wrong you?
    Bc it means it isn't the same for all players. If one is upset about getting 2 covers instead of 6, they should equally be upset if some get double rewards and others not. 

The same for everyone isn't always fair. What we're talking here is a reward proportional to the amount of time and money a given player has spent on the game. Y'know, the same principle as how someone who works 40 hours a week makes more money than someone who works the same job for 30 hours a week.
    That's dumb.  If it takes me 3 weeks to work 40 hours...I should still be entitled to the same pay that you received for your 40 hour week.  40 hours is 40 hours.  Just like Level 340 should have equal rewards for you and for me, regardless of how long it took either of us to achieve that level.

And in that time, I would have "worked" 120 hours. You're getting exactly the same thing per "40 hours of work".
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Yes, the vets already earned a token at those levels.  But that token is not always a 5 star.  

Without the vets, this game would probably not have lasted this long.  We are invested in our rosters in both time and money.  

I remember the time when all players got a potential windfall of iso depending on their rosters.  I imagine many of us were looking for something at least fair to vets like that time was.  IMO, a company should value their current customers at least as much as their newer customers.  Especially since the current, long-standing customers have already shown an interest and are more likely to have built up a habit of spending.

The comment that it is just free stuff goes in both directions.  It really doesn't cost anything to give out in-game prizes.  But it does build rapport and loyalty.

The problem with that analogy is that when all of that iso was handed out, it was for retroactive Shield rank.  If your amount of play put you at rank 60 that day, you earned all of the ISO that you should have earned for every rank up to rank 60.  But the new players start from rank 1.  After much playing, when they reach rank 60 they will have received the same amount of ISO rewards that you earned on your insta-rank 60 day.

Retroactive level rewards is not the same cup of Kool-Aid.  When a feeder gets introduced, people with a large 4* Iceman will have already earned an LT for every tenth level.   Then you expect additionally the retroactive 5* cover.  Whereas a newer player will not receive an LT and a 5* cover when they receive that rank.

It's funny how much the Unfair label gets tossed around now that it's us on the short end.  But when we were double dipping those rewards while the newer players could not, there was no mention of it being unfair in our favor.

It's also funny how a lot of us never complained about this when we were newer players, because we knew that we'd get there eventually as long as we kept playing. Were there changes introduced to the game that benefitted the vets more than us? Absolutely. But that wasn't the vets fault for naturally having played the game longer than we had and having invested more time, energy, and resources. That's completely natural, and completely pointless to complain about. There were several feeders introduced who I barely got any 5* covers from because they were baby champs, while there were vets who got fat pay days. There were also feeders introduced who I got about the same amount of covers for as longer vets of the game, because they were relatively new 4* characters. Now that I've entered the 5-star realm myself and can do many of the same things, I DARESAY those missed covers and LTs here and there really haven't hampered my progress all that much. If you want to complain that you're not getting rewards fast enough then fine, but don't claim its unfair because there's always going to be players that have advanced further than you, and thus benefit more from these kinds of changes. 
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 577 Critical Contributor

However, in the big picture, one legendary token is not much.  It takes a long time to actually fully-cover a five star.  A legendary token is just the ability to roll the dice, it isn't a winning dice roll.  IMO, unfair still applies.

So let's all trade in an LT for each retro 5* we are "entitled" to

• killahKlown
    Dogface said:
    Dogface said:
    Dogface said:
    The current set-up might be unfair to vets, but wouldn't it be unfair to newer players if veteran players got retroactively rewarded 6 covers additional to the rewards they got in the process? 
    No because the vets earned those covers by spending years and $ leveling said characters.
    So vets deserve more than I do? 

Dogface, if the "vet" gets what they should have, how does this wrong you?
    Bc it means it isn't the same for all players. If one is upset about getting 2 covers instead of 6, they should equally be upset if some get double rewards and others not. 

The same for everyone isn't always fair. What we're talking here is a reward proportional to the amount of time and money a given player has spent on the game. Y'know, the same principle as how someone who works 40 hours a week makes more money than someone who works the same job for 30 hours a week.
    That's dumb.  If it takes me 3 weeks to work 40 hours...I should still be entitled to the same pay that you received for your 40 hour week.  40 hours is 40 hours.  Just like Level 340 should have equal rewards for you and for me, regardless of how long it took either of us to achieve that level.

And in that time, I would have "worked" 120 hours. You're getting exactly the same thing per "40 hours of work".

I'm afraid you really are not grasping this.  Feel free to PM me if you would like further lessons.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    This is one of those cases where the players with deep rosters and characters on farm should have been rewarded.

The fact that farming multiple characters is a thing already should tell the devs that higher end game play is screwed up.

If this isn't addressed and in a timely manner  in really going to go ahead and have to put mpq aside.

• killahKlown
    DarthDeVo said:

I guess my take on this is I feel I've been on the wrong end of the stick no matter what. 

When SCL was introduced, I was only a few months in. My windfall was minuscule compared to vets, and it felt unfair to me. 

When 5* feeders were introduced, most of my champed 4*s were at the 300 level or so. So while I was able to double dip on some of the updates, I still felt I was getting the short end of the stick a bit. I think the best result I ever had for any 5* feeder update was Captain Marvel. I think I got three covers for her off the bat. 

Now, my roster was finally in a place that I was expecting a nice little haul of rewards with this update, only to find out, once again, that I've somehow drawn the short straw. 

So yeah, pardon me for whinging a little bit when I say this update is unfair. 😋
    That sucks you got stuck on both sides man.  Sorry
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    Never in any type of game that I've played have lower tier players been upset when a changes goes through, they get something but not as much as end or long term players.

IF ANYTHING it's usually a motivating factor to get to that point so if something like that happens again they can be in on it.

Anyway I'm sure this is less about what's fair and unfair to low level players and more about The economy and how much will it damage things if they give out (what they should) what's "owed"  or at least how not to snub those who have developed rosters