R192: Champion Rewards Updates

Comments

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Dangue said:
    *snip*
    But to then not even award retroactive feeder awards for the new feeders as they’ve consistently done in the past, that’s an unnecessary slap in the face to those that have worked (and possibly spent) to build up their rosters. 

So thank you for making it easier for me to decide to spend my money elsewhere. 
    I've been thinking about this, and I bet there are a number of players who fit the following scenario. 

They have 4* PX at 325. 5* PX is 5/5/2 with no saved covers. 

Under the old system, they would have been able to champ 5* PX to Level 452.

Today, their 5* PX would still be 5/5/2 with one saved cover and 200 shards. On top of that, they would need to get their 4* PX to 340 (a full 20 levels higher than the old system) to finish 5* PX and move him to 451.

Will some people be helped by the new system and colorless covers? Sure. But players like this one will without a doubt be worse off, and the maddening thing is, it didn't have to be that way. 

There shouldn't have been winners or losers with an update like this. Just winners and those who won more. But some players are actively hurt by this change, and that's messed up. 

Myself, I was able to champ Banner and PX by sheer luck, since they were 2/5/5 and 4/5/3, respectively. 

But they both sit at 450 with some shards. Under the old system, Banner would have been 452, PX 451. That's two LTs I got screwed out of. 
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    I think the devs considered giving 6 covers for a maxed 4* a bit too much, after already having other champ rewards in the process.
  • captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    We should all pretend it is a misunderstanding.  Perhaps we should all submit support tickets along the line of...

"I was only issued __ and __.  On the forums it said I should expect __."  (The TLDR of Ice.)
  • Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    granne said:
    If Ice's original post had contained more detail about how limited the retro rewards would be, people would have been unhappy, but expectations would have been managed. As it is, we all had days to get excited, and even those of us who didn't expect full retro rewards (I was one of them) are left disenchanted.

Ice's comment about how characters had to be in your roster, or else 2* farmers would get a massive payout was even misleading. The max-champed 2*s in my roster didn't even net any rewards. I got a total of 200 shards from my 2*s, all of whom are champed.

So much of this ill-feeling could have been avoided by better communication. That's not necessarily a reflection on Ice. I have to believe that someone at some point in this process must have realised that people would resent goalposts being moved. I understand wanting to hype something up to get people excited, but it does feel as though we were set up for a fall.
    Yes.

At one point the community was starting to think that feeders were dead.  If at that time they would have said that feeders were not dead but that a mass rollout of new feeders would be at reduced rates of equivalent shards, then expectations would not have been set so high.

Instead there was no mention of a reduction from previous precedent so expectations were for a much larger payout.

I could understand the reasoning for not wanting to dump previous levels of retro rewards with a mass update of feeders, but not tamping down expectations leaves a feeling of being robbed compared to reasonable expectations.

The problem isn't simply a lack of communication.  It is a lack of expectation management.  I remember the same thing happening when Elite Tokens were introduced.  The initial announcement for those led many to believe they would replace all Standard Tokens but they did not.  A good change therefore led to disappointment.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    Tony_Foot said:
    Now I’ve calmed down a bit I actually think they are to be congratulated. Not in a million years did I think they could surpass some of the other launch disasters they have added to the game to disgruntled feedback.

This one though, not only does it seem the fiercest but also the least diversive to the player base.

Thanks for bringing almost all of us together for this holiday celebration.
    Not sure about this (assuming you mean divisive)  As someone with 4* under 300, for me it means getting 5 covers on the way to max champ, for someone with a max champ 4* it means  2 covers.

• captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    We should all pretend it is a misunderstanding.  Perhaps we should all submit support tickets along the line of...

"I was only issued __ and __.  On the forums it said I should expect __."  (The TLDR of Ice.)
    OK, maybe not.  Now that I see the new announcement.  :)
  • shinnaruto
    shinnaruto Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Sounds like they were in a meeting. I wonder if the outrage is going to move the needle at all about how this rolled out.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,487 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sounds like they were in a meeting. I wonder if the outrage is going to move the needle at all about how this rolled out.

They're listening, anyway:

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they were worried about over-reward, they could have just used all newer 4s to feed 5s, and kept the structure the same. Surely less people have max champ Juggernauts than do 4* Professor X for instance.
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    This was supposed to be the make-good for a terrible anniversary.  So now that covers can be given in fractions, Iceman to Iceman and px to PX are "obvious feeders."  For gods sake, the only talk, FOR DAYS, were arguments about the conversational vs literal definition of the word "couple." 

• ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    yeah, nothing to say about this entire ordeal but this

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Got 10 5* covers and a bunch of shards  for doing absolutely nothing more than opening the app - sorry, not going to complain
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Did only 4 star shards/feeders go live with this update? Because my reading of IceIX's update indicates I should have seen a lot more shards for 3 stars from my 2 star farms and Mordo from my champed Doctor Strange...
  • grumbLEGO
    grumbLEGO Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    My confusion has more to do the 3* shards gathered from my 2* farm, I got some shards for 3* Thor but not for any of the other 3*s I have at a level I should have gotten from the 2*s. Not that any of this is an actual big deal as I’m playing 5*s primarily and I’m happy to have gotten the 5* kitty cover I’ve been waiting for along with a few others, but I find it confusing that I got shards for some 2* champ levels and not for others. 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    grumbLEGO said:
    My confusion has more to do the 3* shards gathered from my 2* farm, I got some shards for 3* Thor but not for any of the other 3*s I have at a level I should have gotten from the 2*s. Not that any of this is an actual big deal as I’m playing 5*s primarily and I’m happy to have gotten the 5* kitty cover I’ve been waiting for along with a few others, but I find it confusing that I got shards for some 2* champ levels and not for others. 
    The only shards you will get from the 2* farm is for characters who are in a certain level range.

For example L107-114 should get you 100 shards. That's because at L115 you will get 200 more shards and that plus the 100 will get you a 3* cover (the old reward at L115).

We are not getting all the retro shards from max champed 2*s (ie at L144 you are not getting 600 shards since you already got all the 3* covers when you max champed the character).

KGB
  • leoperez90
    leoperez90 Posts: 66 Match Maker
    Gotta give them props for starting the new thread on the feedback, at least they're paying attention to the good and bad. 

No lie, I do feel cheated and robbed. It's sad to say d3 said something and gave us something else. Alot of players missed out on alot of rewards. A simple solution is to just give us the rewards and call it a day. It's a quick solution so we can keep moving forward but they like to drag things on. 
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    Wonko33 said:
    Got 10 5* covers and a bunch of shards  for doing absolutely nothing more than opening the app - sorry, not going to complain
    Cool.  But lso kind of irrelevant without context.  Under the established system for adding feeders, you would have gotten more covers and shards.

Plus, not matter what you got today, in the long run, if you keep playing, you will have fewer CP/HP to deploy on other 5*a of your own choosing. 

Whether those factors change your opinion is, of course, up to you.  But presenting only the facts in your post without considering the other information leaves everything more than a little incomplete.

assuming you would get something because you got something a certain way before was only that,  assuming.

it lead to a bunch of people being disappointed. The fact that we use to get the retro feeder awards that way before might have been the reason that we were getting so few feeders now.

you are commenting about the champ reward system changing, I did not say anything about the old reward system compared to the new one, my statement was towards people complaining about the retro rewards and I think it's petty to complain like that when they got a bunch of stuff but it wasn't as much as they had hoped.