Exquisite Archangel

In the Revolt Against the Consulate event, the Exquisite Archangel level, the third objective is to win within 7 rounds.  The planeswalker has 392 life.  Is that even possble?  Is there some hydrogen bomb artifact i dont know about?

Comments

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the Revolt Against the Consulate event, the Exquisite Archangel level, the third objective is to win within 7 rounds.  The planeswalker has 392 life.  Is that even possble?  Is there some hydrogen bomb artifact i dont know about?
    I actually have a deck called the H-bomb that does about 5K damage in one blow, but not consistently in 7 rounds. Usually consistently in 12. 

There are several different strategies that consistently do this. Cycling is one, but who wants to do that?  HUF-AotSS. I Jurassic Park it — Aj1 Goggles, HUF, Deploy, Dinos. I have a Teferi Deploy deck that can bang it out, too. 

Yes, it’s very doable, in tons of ways. Just keep trying. You’ll get there. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Yeah, when this event first came out the only way to do it was an infinite energy deck with the pre-nerf Gonti's Heart.
    We complained a lot, and then the devs said (not kidding) "well, we could do it sometimes so it's not unreasonably hard"

Nowadays there are a lot of blitz decks that can do it semi-reliably, but it's still one of the hardest challenges in the game.  Just keep grinding and you'll find something that works!
  • bk1234
    Mburn7 said:
    Yeah, when this event first came out the only way to do it was an infinite energy deck with the pre-nerf Gonti's Heart.
    We complained a lot, and then the devs said (not kidding) "well, we could do it sometimes so it's not unreasonably hard"

Nowadays there are a lot of blitz decks that can do it semi-reliably, but it's still one of the hardest challenges in the game.  Just keep grinding and you'll find something that works!
    Funny you should say that — N2 energy is still my go-to just because it’s the most fun. 
  • bk1234
    starfall said:
    Part the Waterveil
    Prism Array

Baral
    Ulvenwald Hydra

Rishka's Expertise
    Hour of Promise
    Blue Sun's Zenith
    Animist's Awakening
    Season's Past
    Attune with Aether

It's not as easy deck to build, nor is it's existence good for the game, but it's what I use.
    I know a British guy with a deck just like this. 
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Sarkhan3 with Gaea Revenge and Skinshifter/Rubblebelt Rioters or good old HuffDeploy
  • 7thGuest
    7thGuest Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Sark3
    Missing KI  and BSZ so generally use Djinn/Primeval/Golos/Rupture Spire (only land)/Scapeshift with everything else being mana or creature fetch.

Generally I can get the chain moving within a couple rounds and stack up creature dmg and make it in 7. 

Will swap out to Tamiyo and use Deploy the Gatewatch in place of in but you lose haste on that path (again no KI) and possibly lose a round of dmg depending on what you have out. 

• Defenestrator
    Defenestrator Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Thank you all for the responses and advice.  I have to be honest though.  The existence of these kind of decks, that can just loop almost endlessly, makes me want to cancel my membership and stop playing.  That seems like poor game design to me.  That kind of thing is not meant to be possible in Magic the Gathering.  You can't deal thousands of damage in a single hit in the actual card game, let alone so insanely quickly, just by having the right cards.
  • Horadrim
    Horadrim Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2019
    If you don't like loops... Try PW Karn: Hazoret's Undying Fury (HUF)/Deploy the Gatewatch as only 2 spells, Emrakul (or Samut)/Decimator/God-Eternal Rhonas as only 3 creatures. Add any supports for card draw (or cycling or surveil/fetch etc.) and double strike like Samut vanguard/ Embercleave (if using Emrakul instead of Samut, for overkill, optional)..... You should be able to dish out killer blow in 1 turn once you've cast HUF. If you also have Omniscience it will make it easier.
    You can also use PW Ajani Vengeant (with Fires of Invention instead of Omniscience for mana cost reduction) but Karn is more flexible with his 1st ability to set the combo faster.
  • bk1234
    edited December 2019
    Thank you all for the responses and advice.  I have to be honest though.  The existence of these kind of decks, that can just loop almost endlessly, makes me want to cancel my membership and stop playing.  That seems like poor game design to me.  That kind of thing is not meant to be possible in Magic the Gathering.  You can't deal thousands of damage in a single hit in the actual card game, let alone so insanely quickly, just by having the right cards.
    Mine aren’t loop decks. I don’t do that. I hate loops. I’m a combo girl. I make make big booms — one shots by lining up intricate combos. 

It took me 4 years (next week is the anniversary and I started the first week), 3 playing top 10 to get the collection that allows me to make these kinds of decks. It’s not like you can come in and make these decks. I have put very little money into this game over the last 4 years. What I’ve put in is time. 

The players answering this thread have been around for a very long time building our collections and we have earned the cards and built the skills to do some crazy things. It’s not poor game design — it’s veteran’s advantage. That’s actually very good game design. 
  • Barnabes
    Barnabes Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Just as a reminder, Flash-Hulk could win a game of paper Magic on the opponent’s first upkeep with the opponent going first. 

I was thinking just today, as I was getting pummeled by an opponent’s turn one Razia, that expecting this game to play like paper Magic is ridiculous - you play this for the flavor, not for the mechanical identity. This is first and foremost a match-3 game, which should and does reward cascades in explosive fashion. I get that not everyone like that, but I feel their expectations are unreasonable given the initial premise. 

As for topic - I was using Immortal Sun and Impending Doom to best the Angel consistently by turn 5. They nerfed one of my 2 mana draw spells so I’ll have to find a new way - but I’m fairly certain you do not need to accomplish that specific objective to get all the rewards regardless. 

@bken1234 I am very curious how you line up a 1-hit kill without a loop of some sort. Ob Nix? Kaya?
  • Mburn7

Uhh, you can do thousands of damage in a single hit in paper MTG.  Especially in legacy formats.
    I mean, I've attacked for over 500 in a single hit with a Standard deck.

For the most part degenerate combos like that are only possible in Legacy in MTGPQ (aka, what the event with this fight is in), so if you're worried about that then you can just stick to Standard where the power level is much more reasonable
  • Mburn7
    edited December 2019
    Barnabes said:
    Just as a reminder, Flash-Hulk could win a game of paper Magic on the opponent’s first upkeep with the opponent going first. 

I was thinking just today, as I was getting pummeled by an opponent’s turn one Razia, that expecting this game to play like paper Magic is ridiculous - you play this for the flavor, not for the mechanical identity. This is first and foremost a match-3 game, which should and does reward cascades in explosive fashion. I get that not everyone like that, but I feel their expectations are unreasonable given the initial premise. 

As for topic - I was using Immortal Sun and Impending Doom to best the Angel consistently by turn 5. They nerfed one of my 2 mana draw spells so I’ll have to find a new way - but I’m fairly certain you do not need to accomplish that specific objective to get all the rewards regardless. 

@bken1234 I am very curious how you line up a 1-hit kill without a loop of some sort. Ob Nix? Kaya?

With the right opening hand and a nice cascade you can do it with Ral (although its harder without BSZ), any sort of HUF Deploy deck with a piggy and/or Samut, a Tammy deck with Hour of Devastation to give your 10000/10000 Steel Leaf Champions haste, a Samut deck with GR and Skinshifter (and a 5-match), and a bunch of Omni shenanigans, and probably a bunch more that Bken knows that I don't (although the Tammy and Ral ideas can probably be considered loops, I guess)
  • Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Barnabes, in a thread I started called "How would you do a million damage" I posted a deck list that can do hundreds of millions of damage in a single swing with no infinite loop. 
  • bk1234
    edited December 2019
    Barnabes said:

The H-Bomb: 
    (PW: Karn Creature: Marionette Master) 

Hand: (6 cards)
    Omniscience (full) 
    Omniscience
    Deploy the Gatewatch
    Deploy the Gatewatch
    Deploy the Gatewatch 
    Star of Extinction

There’re tons more. That’s my favorite though. The whole screen goes white and you think the app implodes. You can do it with more Deploys if you’re careful how you get the Omnis out beforehand. 

• Theophilus
    Theophilus Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    I use Kiora with-

Rashmi, Eternities Crafter
    Baral, Chief of Compliance

Glimpse the Unthinkable
    Beacon Bolt

6 green gem changing spells
    (or 5 plus BSZ)

While it is a pretty common Kiora deck strategy, it consistently gets that objective. Beware, your turns may last a while.

I have found using the 2 creatures to be a little more consistent (speed wise) than prism array. I wouldn't try this deck in this particular matchup without Glimpse. 
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    bken1234 said:
    I actually have a deck called the H-bomb that does about 5K damage in one blow, but not consistently in 7 rounds. Usually consistently in 12. 

There are several different strategies that consistently do this. Cycling is one, but who wants to do that?  HUF-AotSS. I Jurassic Park it — Aj1 Goggles, HUF, Deploy, Dinos. I have a Teferi Deploy deck that can bang it out, too. 

Yes, it’s very doable, in tons of ways. Just keep trying. You’ll get there. 

Imminent Doom + Immortal Sun + 8 cheap spells
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards

If you expect PQ to play like MtG, you're going to be sorely disappointed. I don't mean that in a snarky way. It's just that Magic is structured around certain gameplay principles, such as (generally) equitable mana development, being able to summon more than 3 creatures (i.e., go wide), enchantments/artifacts in play being directly targetable, being able to respond to events via the stack (though at least we have Flash now), larger decks with duplicate limits, etc.

The mana/RNG inequity alone means that the game is far less about considered, strategic play, and more about abusing cards to generate said inequities, or creating decks that can respond to the AI's generation of inequities.