Direction of this game

13»

Comments

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    The problem becomes, at least for me, is that every event being PvP these days means that you basically face off to the same deck over and over.... regardless of what secondary objectives an event pots out.

I can't even bring myself to do Training Grounds even most days because I'm so sick of always playing against Tamiyo and Sarkhan. PvE events you might say also are pretty dull because the events never change... but at least it's 6-9 different decks that never change compared to every training grounds match being a copy past of the same deck.

Also over the years I've never been able to trust other players of this game to not make decks that are just there to troll opponents. That does not make for a fun game, and is the number one reason I've hated PvP events.

I say all this because it's interesting that most if not all the other posts are all vying for more PvP events that just have different objectives or no special nodes, but for me, that won't fix the primary problem which has been other players of the game.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2019
    I agree with everything in the OP, and i have been feeling like this since a while now.

I'm fine with being casual and swap a bunch of gems here and there, but the thrill and the trust are definitely gone for now.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    wereotter said:
    The problem becomes, at least for me, is that every event being PvP these days means that you basically face off to the same deck over and over.... regardless of what secondary objectives an event pots out.

I can't even bring myself to do Training Grounds even most days because I'm so sick of always playing against Tamiyo and Sarkhan. PvE events you might say also are pretty dull because the events never change... but at least it's 6-9 different decks that never change compared to every training grounds match being a copy past of the same deck.
    I hate to say it, but I don't ever see this changing. It's an aspect of paper Magic, it's here, too, and I think the only way it's ever different is if there's a "limited" version of the game like paper drafts. It's just natural for power to coalesce over time. This is even true outside of Magic, as well. Natural order/human nature sort of thing.
    Maybe they should rando-ban things from time to time. :smile:

• tiagotomar
    tiagotomar Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Machine said:
    Hi @Brigby,
    I finally have some time to write this post. I have been wanting to write it this weekend, but this new event has eaten a lot of my time. Other players haven beaten me to it, but still  I would like to discuss the direction this game is seemingly taking. There are several topics that need attention.
    1) Duration of events. The Great Tournament is yet another 5 node coalition event that runs for three full days. The community has given feedback regarding duration of events over and over and again, this was ignored by the developers of this event. Most players have a hard time completing their nodes during Mondays as they have to work. I even had a team mate who announced he would quit after he found out that TGT also takes three full days (in combination with the horrible rewards *see 2)) Pair this with The Elderspark running next weekend, haunting players with back to back 3 days weekend events. Is this the new standard? If not, why did the developers choose for this setup?
    2) Rewards. Self-explanatory if you look at the individual rewards for TGT. Why are the rewards so laughable for a THREE day event? With the slower format, a five node event takes A LOT of time. This investment should be returned / rewarded or players will lose motivation to play. Just playing for the sake of the team is not proper motivation. Topic 1) and 2) should be in balance or it will hurt the sustainability of the game. Can you explain why these improper individual rewards have been maintained, even after all the player feedback from the last event with the same reward structure (I think it is Ravnica at War)? Don't forget that a lot of players have families, kids, friends and other social activities 
    3) In what way is the VIP system affecting the decisions that are made when designing new events? Right now, it seems to me (I'm only speaking for myself now) that this game is heading to a pay 2 win direction. Can you give a statement on that?
    I honestly believe that this game has a lot of potential, but as you can see on the other two* posts that have been created regarding the new event and its rewards, you see that the player base is engaged, but also concerned. I hope this post also reflects my concern. People should be rewarded for their effort. This is more like a punishment.
    * these two posts are what I'm talking about:
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/80618/tgt-feedback#latest
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/80597/the-great-tournament-rewards#latest
    I hoped that the new set and the new event would rejuvinate players but you seem to have reached the opposite. It's a shame that players quit the game over the poor design and reward decisions made, even though the community has given ample feedback.
    Note that I haven't touched the topic of bugs, because a lot of players in my team, including myself, have encountered the same bug that soft lock the game when activated gems that change gems to other colors / loyalty gems freezes the game. This has also been reported in the bug section of this forum. It is severe enough to patch this game asap.
    I'm looking forward to your response. Thanks in advance.
    Cheers!
    Hello there Machine!
    I agree with everything you said, why not open a poll to know who agrees with only a two days event Saturday and Sunday and with only have 3 nodes!?
    You have my vote!!!

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    starfall said:
    madwren said:
    starfall said:
    Kinesia said:
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I noticed in the Grand Tournament is that the special nodes HELPED meet the objectives and do both objectives together on some nodes.

e.g. Create food and gain life. The objectives already go together naturally and the special node gave you mana whenever you created food, speeding up what might otherwise be a slower deck.
    That node in particular tho is very slow, partly because of the extra streamers that appear on the screen whenever a player plays food and loses 2 life (loses 2 life! what a meagre effect to have such an impact on speed of play!), and partly because of the lag caused by having multiple food in play.

Food is my least favorite mechanic in some time... There's nothing wrong with it in theory, but in practice it combines the worst aspects of Fabricate (lag and slow play) and Energize (small number of playable cards exist with the keyword)

The "we want you to play food, but will do 2 damage to you" is a really odd decision. If you want to show off your new mechanic, why diminish the effect by making each food (in effect) give 1 life?
    Mind you, the pointless complexity on this node is nothing compared to the node effects in the Fblthp event!!
    But node effects are so cool, aren’t they??? 

Isn’t that why they’re in every single event?
    Every one. 
    #NoEventLeftBehind
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    starfall said:
    bken1234 said:
    starfall said:
    madwren said:
    starfall said:
    Kinesia said:
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I noticed in the Grand Tournament is that the special nodes HELPED meet the objectives and do both objectives together on some nodes.

e.g. Create food and gain life. The objectives already go together naturally and the special node gave you mana whenever you created food, speeding up what might otherwise be a slower deck.
    That node in particular tho is very slow, partly because of the extra streamers that appear on the screen whenever a player plays food and loses 2 life (loses 2 life! what a meagre effect to have such an impact on speed of play!), and partly because of the lag caused by having multiple food in play.

Food is my least favorite mechanic in some time... There's nothing wrong with it in theory, but in practice it combines the worst aspects of Fabricate (lag and slow play) and Energize (small number of playable cards exist with the keyword)

The "we want you to play food, but will do 2 damage to you" is a really odd decision. If you want to show off your new mechanic, why diminish the effect by making each food (in effect) give 1 life?
    Mind you, the pointless complexity on this node is nothing compared to the node effects in the Fblthp event!!
    But node effects are so cool, aren’t they??? 

Isn’t that why they’re in every single event?
    Every one. 
    #NoEventLeftBehind
    Well then for goodness sake let's start a poll here and get them stripped out of the game! If nobody likes them, and they take time to code, removing them from the game would be a win win.
    Done https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/80709/special-supports#latest
  • Boogeyman
    Boogeyman Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Nalthazar said:

Anywho, that is my 2 cents. Sorry that was so long.
    That wasn't 2 cents, that was a dollar ;)
  • Nalthazar
    Nalthazar Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Boogeyman said:
    Nalthazar said:

Anywho, that is my 2 cents. Sorry that was so long.
    That wasn't 2 cents, that was a dollar ;)
    I valued myself at 2 cents. You value me at a dollar. I'm coming up in the world!
  • Rasalghul
    Rasalghul Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Playing this game starts to be like playing Chess with the white but after a few moves you end up N steps behind not knowing why.

Please don’t try to transform this game into the 21st century classic.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    It has been around 3 months since I stopped playing. I just couldn't keep up with the grind. The time commitment the games requires is no longer doable for me, it doesn't matter how low or good the rewards are. When you start taking breaks from dumb events or the game, it becomes increasingly difficult to come back.
    The first straw that broke the camels back was the duration of the events into Mondays. I can no longer go through the trouble to clears them nodes on Monday  when there is work and what have you.

Weekends are supposedly days when most people get to rest or get some free time to do whatever. Is MTGPQ deserving much of that time on weekends? It could be due to age but I can no longer afford much of my free time to orbit around this game.

On top of being unreasonably grindy, we are bombarded with absurd objectives that require us to dumbdown our decks causing longer games. Is this Octagon's philosophy of challenge and deck building skills? They can be more creative than that.
    The bugs and freezes are thing we had to bear with for years.
    I'm grateful for our community on slack and I'm still around but not in game. I will return when things improve
    Just my 2 cents
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kinesia said:
    Those in America talking about events bleeding into Monday...
    In Australia we have ALWAYS faced that but no-one has ever listened.

_Now_ our events end on early Tuesday morning, meaning we need to not sleep properly on a work/school day just to finish.

Time HAS to become less important. Solutions have been floated forever, why hasn't anything been done before now? Why are things _worse_?
    Start events half a day earlier (So they start friday night for Australia for example), have huge amounts of max charges and stop generating charges at least 12 hours before event end.
    That makes things workable for every single person in the world and is theoretically pretty easy to code, the only thing that isn't possible in the current system is skipping the last node and that's a single if/then statement somewhere.

With the worldwide audience there is zero excuse for not making allowances for this AGES ago.
    Unfortunately I'm not sure if they're going to make any drastic changes at this point.  Everything that didn't already have a template, likely has a template now so probably just mild tweaks here and there from this point forward.