Direction of this game

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    starfall said:
    bken1234 said:

Is this the part where I get to beg for Old NOP? 
    If you want to play 5 different PWs with no objectives, you can play TG? Is there any difference between doing so other than the prizes?
    Something about it being an actual event instead of TG makes it better.

I agree with Bken here (shocking, I know).  We need to bring back the old version of a lot of events, especially NOP and Terrors.
    Hell I even kind of want to try the original Emrakul's Corruption event with the impossible objectives now that tokens count again and we have more ways to make it possible.

Sometimes more complex isn't necessarily better.  Oktagon's special events are great sometimes, but other times we just need something simpler
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    bken1234 said:
    madwren said:
    starfall said:
    Normally when we get a thread like this, opinion on the forums is very divided; some people complain about the volume and quality of games they are forced to play, whereas other reminding them that nobody is forcing anyone to play anything.

Here's such a thread from earlier this year:
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/77226/how-many-games-do-you-want-to-be-forced-to-play-per-day/p1

It's interesting what a little bit of time will do to one's perspective, isn't it?  

Relatedly, objectives have always disappointed me. It seemed they were getting looser for awhile, but they've tightened back up again. This is unfortunate, because there are times lately when I've found a very fun New Standard deck to play, and then look at the events and realize that it doesn't fit anywhere.  Thus, I can't play it anywhere except in TG. Whee. 

That may be the aspect I've missed most in the conversion from paper to PQ. I just want to bring a deck and smash face. I don't want to meet a bunch of arbitrary, forced objectives that pigeonhole my deck into certain cards and strategies.

While we’re at it, enough with the special supports. They screw with my decks. 

What ever happened to simple things like Supercharged or Enraged?  

It’s ok to just give us a simple, no fuss event from time to time, guys. We won’t complain. 

I somewhat miss the old days, but I like the events they have now with one exception, the grind of 5 nodes is the consistent issue that I see with long events and I use a ton of time over the weekend trying to clear them. Like many here, I don't care much for them. 3 nodes (even those with 3 subnodes within) seems to be the sweet spot.

I remember Enraged being an issue in here and many asked that the devs stop running enraged events. I personally don't care for them because it's more of a legacy T.G. on steroids. but... it does provide a nice change up now and then. 

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    starfall said:
    bken1234 said:

If you want to play 5 different PWs with no objectives, you can play TG? Is there any difference between doing so other than the prizes?
    Yes.

madwren said:
    It's interesting what a little bit of time will do to one's perspective, isn't it?  

Relatedly, objectives have always disappointed me. It seemed they were getting looser for awhile, but they've tightened back up again. This is unfortunate, because there are times lately when I've found a very fun New Standard deck to play, and then look at the events and realize that it doesn't fit anywhere.  Thus, I can't play it anywhere except in TG. Whee. 

That may be the aspect I've missed most in the conversion from paper to PQ. I just want to bring a deck and smash face. I don't want to meet a bunch of arbitrary, forced objectives that pigeonhole my deck into certain cards and strategies.

It would make @madwren happy.

• Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    starfall said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    bken1234 said:
    madwren said:
    starfall said:
    Normally when we get a thread like this, opinion on the forums is very divided; some people complain about the volume and quality of games they are forced to play, whereas other reminding them that nobody is forcing anyone to play anything.

Here's such a thread from earlier this year:
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/77226/how-many-games-do-you-want-to-be-forced-to-play-per-day/p1

While we’re at it, enough with the special supports. They screw with my decks. 

What ever happened to simple things like Supercharged or Enraged?  

It’s ok to just give us a simple, no fuss event from time to time, guys. We won’t complain. 

I somewhat miss the old days, but I like the events they have now with one exception, the grind of 5 nodes is the consistent issue that I see with long events and I use a ton of time over the weekend trying to clear them. Like many here, I don't care much for them. 3 nodes (even those with 3 subnodes within) seems to be the sweet spot.

I remember Enraged being an issue in here and many asked that the devs stop running enraged events. I personally don't care for them because it's more of a legacy T.G. on steroids. but... it does provide a nice change up now and then. 

I'd like to see more Supercharged events.... it'd be a format which would allow people to break cards without having to print cards which are broken in *any* format like BSZ was. Many people like OP cards and this seems to me like a good way to do it.
    Good point and I agree. So long as the devs don't go overboard on the concept, yeah, it would be a nice weekday event so players can play with their toys. Still not my thing but I get the allure of it.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    bken1234 said:
    Horadrim said:
    What makes it worse.... you have waited for so long to meet the grindy objectives and when you're about to deal the killer blow on your next turn... then the game freezes. I don't even know why I'm still playing this game... maybe because I've already invested a lot of time and effort collecting cards... or maybe because I'm already going nuts expecting game devs/publisher to improve quality of life for their player base but (fill in the blanks) every time.
    And then you start the node over and you have to take an extra 2 minutes at the beginning to read what the special supports do because you already forgot — because there’s too many special supports. Which is another thing to keep up with and makes everything feel more grindy. 

To be honest, I usually just ignore the special supports and do just fine. Well, I should say I ignore what purpose they're supposed to serve. It's harder to ignore the bells and whistles and streaming comets of reinforcement. 
  • bk1234
    madwren said:
    bken1234 said:
    Horadrim said:
    What makes it worse.... you have waited for so long to meet the grindy objectives and when you're about to deal the killer blow on your next turn... then the game freezes. I don't even know why I'm still playing this game... maybe because I've already invested a lot of time and effort collecting cards... or maybe because I'm already going nuts expecting game devs/publisher to improve quality of life for their player base but (fill in the blanks) every time.
    And then you start the node over and you have to take an extra 2 minutes at the beginning to read what the special supports do because you already forgot — because there’s too many special supports. Which is another thing to keep up with and makes everything feel more grindy. 

To be honest, I usually just ignore the special supports and do just fine. Well, I should say I ignore what purpose they're supposed to serve. It's harder to ignore the bells and whistles and streaming comets of reinforcement. 
    Not ignoring the special support on the top node of TGT made it my fastest node. Karn's ult FTW. Dumped cards into the graveyard like lightning. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    bken1234 said:
    madwren said:
    bken1234 said:
    Horadrim said:

Not ignoring the special support on the top node of TGT made it my fastest node. Karn's ult FTW. Dumped cards into the graveyard like lightning. 
    I honestly didn't realize there were special rules perma-supports in TGT until some point on Sunday.
    Probably would have helped my objective issues on the top node if I had seen it.

Again, events are too complex nowadays.  Not saying I don't enjoy it, but to have every event be 5 nodes with 3 colors per node and special rules on every node is just too much for every weekend.
  • Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    I agree with many of the others that have posted about the permanent supports. I dont even read them most of the time because the effects in the past have been to small to be relevant. The only exception to this is the ravnica event where you get the same effect on every node based on which guild it is for the day. I did actually change some decks to take advantage of the izzet effect.
  • bk1234
    Mburn7 said:

Again, events are too complex nowadays.  Not saying I don't enjoy it, but to have every event be 5 nodes with 3 colors per node and special rules on every node is just too much for every weekend.
    I agree with this 100%. I have to spend a considerable amount of time reading and researching just to build decks. I remember when RtO came out, it was like "Oh, these special supports are cool!" 

I didn't realize they would be the norm. There's such thing as too much of a good thing. 

Variety is the spice of life. 

I think part of the reason we have so many lags on loading is that there is too much going into programming. Some simple, clean events would be appreciated. We like those. Not everything has to be complex. 
  • RithPrimeval
    RithPrimeval Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    edited December 2019
    I can only second what's being said already many times. 

Needless complexity  3 day events, too many nodes, too many charges, games going too long due to silly objectives and the need to play slow cards or silly boss HP numbers. 
    Poor rewards for time invested and bugs bugs bugs...

After I got married end of October I didn't play for a week, it was actually refreshing. I came back for the coalition event and our amazing team members but didn't play a non-coalition event since except for Fblthp, until ToE hit. The effort/reward balance just isn't there anymore. I decided to give the Green ToE event a go and enjoyed it, except for getting hit with the gem changing bugs over and over. I already hate that bug, cause playing big ramp decks is a playstyle I really like and I feel like I just have to stay away from those cards/decks for now, but if that problem is still around during the Elderspark we're going to be playing for ages and probably still freezing somewhere during those endlessly long matches.. 

Our coalition lost more players in these past weeks/months than in almost the whole year before btw. I'm pretty sure that's saying something... A lot of players are barely hanging in there, for the community and their team mates  but that only goes so far. Something needs to happen, soon.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    starfall said:
    Kinesia said:
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I noticed in the Grand Tournament is that the special nodes HELPED meet the objectives and do both objectives together on some nodes.

e.g. Create food and gain life. The objectives already go together naturally and the special node gave you mana whenever you created food, speeding up what might otherwise be a slower deck.
    That node in particular tho is very slow, partly because of the extra streamers that appear on the screen whenever a player plays food and loses 2 life (loses 2 life! what a meagre effect to have such an impact on speed of play!), and partly because of the lag caused by having multiple food in play.

Food is my least favorite mechanic in some time... There's nothing wrong with it in theory, but in practice it combines the worst aspects of Fabricate (lag and slow play) and Energize (small number of playable cards exist with the keyword)

The "we want you to play food, but will do 2 damage to you" is a really odd decision. If you want to show off your new mechanic, why diminish the effect by making each food (in effect) give 1 life?
  • bk1234

Our coalition lost more players in these past weeks/months than in almost the whole year before btw. I'm pretty sure that's saying something... A lot of players are barely hanging in there, for the community and their team mates  but that only goes so far. Something needs to happen, soon.
    This might resonate with many and their own coalitions, but Rith's coalition has been part of my Alliance for almost 3 years now, and for me - this coming from him is like a punch in the gut.

His coalition is special. They don't have turnover even when other coalitions do. When the game seems to be imploding, they don't. 

When someone is ready to call it quits, they've been known to stay for weeks and sometimes even months to make sure the team is set before they step down. 

When this coalition is falling apart, the game is falling apart. 
  • bk1234
    starfall said:
    Producing an event which is like old NOP should be absolutely trivial for Oktagon... use the basic template for a 5 node event*, add nothing to it, send it out into the world. Call it 'Remnants of Power' so we know what it is. Or even just "Old Nodes of Power".
    Producing clean, simple events shouldn't be a problem at all. They also aren't grindy. They're also fun. 

They also have less bugs. 

And we like them. 

Even if they aren't that simple.