Demi starts shard sales with the meta

Options
Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
Yesterday we had okoye shards for sale, and today is kitty (at least for me).  Plus we currently have a $50 offer for 1.05 kitty covers (plus some other stuff).

Are any of these offers tempting to anyone?

Is it worth buying the first few sets of shards from daily offers (as demi clearly hopes we will do)?

Personally, $50 for 1x 5* cover is not great value (even if it is much better value than any other paid 5* acquisition method in the game), so I don't think I am inclined to end my current, rather lengthy, purchase abstention. 

But buying 20-80 kitty shards is a bit more intriguing to me.  Trading ~ a week's worth of HP for 10-20% of a 5* cover is not a terrible swap for someone in my position .  Ultimately, I think I will hold off because, with only 7 kitty covers, I have too far to go.  But if I had a meta character at 10-12 covers, then I think the daily shards store might make pretty good sense.

Comments

• Tucsonjon
    Tucsonjon Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I have bought a few sets of shards for Kitty,  Mine at 5-1-5.  I think I would only do it in this type of situation, meta character and 10-12 covers.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Buying the dailies looks actually like a great addition, 20x20 is actually almost a cover!, even though I don't know how much it goes up every time (but it does go up for every one you buy), so it might actually be a TON of HP to buy 20 offers in a row.

Then, a 5 cover, plus the HP, 4 - ProfX covers, etc. for 50$ it is actually a decent price for a Fremium game, and the cheapest it has ever been to buy a 5 cover. So I see this as a positive. I am completely f2p right now, so I wont buy this offer, BUT if they would have had this offers back then, I will probably not be a f2p player right now (I was not years ago, before 5s were released).
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After waiting and waiting for Jessica Jones to appear in store, I also had Kitty pop up in my store and decided to switch by buying some shards for her. On the one hand that means I am on the way to finally getting a yellow cover on my 0/5/4 Kitty but on the otherhand it showed basically that Pay to Win is the way to go as I equalled bar one shard as much progress as I had made on Jessica Jones since Sharding began with a single purchase.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I got five packs for Kitty when she was in my store. I'd really only do that for her or Okoye though.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options
    See my other post in the “Will you be buying shards?” thread for the math, but effectively buying enough shards in one go to get a single 5* cover requires the equivalent of $135 in HP. So $50 is a relative steal. Even if you wait for her to cycle through 25 times and only buy the first offer, it’s still the HP equivalent of $70 (and how long would that take?).

To me, no, until they start showing us where and how else we can earn shards, I won’t be buying any. If it only takes a few purchases to top off what I’ve earned elsewhere, then I’m in. In the meantime, too rich for my blood.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I'm trying to finish my Clint, currently 3/4/3 with 132 / 500 shards.
    To help with this goal I've also set Kate as my 4* BH, and Hawkguy as my 3* BH.
    I currently need 13 more covers to get Kate to 320 and get my 4th Red Clint cover.
    I've already earned at least 4 covers for her under the new system, but one of those did come from getting my dupe Hawkguy to 265. But then his covers have almost all been coming from Shards, too. That, and 3* covers from 2* Hawkeye.
    The conspiracy theorist in me currently thinks the code is taking into account that I'm chasing Hawkguy, Kate, and Clint, because I haven't seen any of them in the Shard store.
    I'll buy 80 Clint shards when I do see them just so I don't end up with 1 extra Shard for him.
    I could just buy 20 Shards but 80 Shards will serve the same purpose, and with 6,000 HP (& counting) I'm not exactly hurting for it.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No sign of Kitty in the shards store for me yet - she's at 4/5/2 with about 80 shards right now. I am debating the red cover in the store for 250 CP, but adding 20 damage total onto each the attack tiles (moving from two red to three red) at the cost of 10 legendary tokens isn't really lighting my fire. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Options
    PuceMoose said:
    No sign of Kitty in the shards store for me yet - she's at 4/5/2 with about 80 shards right now. I am debating the red cover in the store for 250 CP, but adding 20 damage total onto each the attack tiles (moving from two red to three red) at the cost of 10 legendary tokens isn't really lighting my fire. 
    But 250 cp for a guaranteed cover that you need (red isn't great, but getting every color to 3 has some value, even post-shards) is good value.  I think it's a pretty easy buy for you.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    PuceMoose said:
    But 250 cp for a guaranteed cover that you need (red isn't great, but getting every color to 3 has some value, even post-shards) is good value.  I think it's a pretty easy buy for you.
    My 3/1/5 Kitty wept when she saw the Red in the store.

If I was you I would jump on that offer ASAP. Especially since it doesn't take your Red to 5 covers so another randomly drawn Red cover from classics or a special store would let you champ and respec her.

KGB
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Options
    These are all good points and I appreciate the input. She is indeed softcapped at 360 - I'm still in four star land (Kitty's my closest to a completed 5-star at 4/5/2) , and she's the only 5-star I've put any ISO into. The next highest on my roster is 4* Carol at 300.