Chars with equal match damage: Order doesn‘t matter for tanking?

Options
supergarv
supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
After unhoarding I muscle-memoried myself into levelling 5 Thor up twice (double-claiming 200 LTs does that...) instead of one-by-one to make sure his red doesn‘t tank over Okoye.

So now I have a Level 445 unchamped Thor and a 456 Okoye.

The char sheet  lists both characters red damage at 603.

No matter if I put Thor to the left or the right (in PVP) he tanks red.

I thought in an equal match damage case, the character order was the „tie breaker“? Has this changed? Or are there hidden fractions of the match damage and rounding occurs (in which case IMO this should be revealed in the UI)?

Comments

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Is there someone we can tag for questions like this? @IceIX maybe?
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2019
    Options
    OJSP said:
    @JSP869 this is what I was talking about.. so I wasn't wrong to say 12 levels different would be necessary to be certain. But, I noticed you've got 13 levels difference now. You should be safe if they get more champion levels
    Yep, my Okoye is 13 levels higher than Thor now, but I want to take her even higher. I'm annoyed that Jessica is still tanking Red over Okoye, even though Okoye is 14 levels higher than her. I think I need another 6 levels on Okoye to get her above Jessica. final edit and no, OJSP, you were not wrong :smiley:

At 11 levels higher, Thor and Okoye were tied for red, but I was not experiencing the same problem as @supergarv because I could put Okoye to the Left and Thor to the right and she would win the tie and tank Red over him.

Supergarv, is this happening in both PvP and PvE? Just wondering if you have a Support on Thor which increases his Red match damage. That wouldn't (shouldn't) impact PvP but it may be making a difference in PvE.
  • supergarv
    Options
    Yeah, both pve and pvp sadly. My
    first thought was also „supports!“, but alas, to no difference. Thank you for the suggestion/feedback though!
  • JSP869
    Options
    Sorry, mate! That sucks! I know how ecstatic I was when I finally got Okoye sufficiently higher than Thor.

And without the BH cover system, now you're stuck trying to collect 500 Shards to get another level on Okoye...or pray to RNGesus there will be a 5* release Vault in the near future with her in it.

It it possible that what OJSP feared is correct, and that even though their displayed match damage numbers are the same, that there's a hidden decimal point and so Thor's match damage may be 600.4 while Okoye's is 600.3 so they both show as 600 but Thor's is still considered higher :disappointed:
  • supergarv
    Options
    Yeah... actually I kept Thor intentionally lower (and unchamped, even though he has the covers) than Okoye for 1,5 years. Raising two levels was an unintentional double tap. That hurts.

however: If the decimal thing is right, I think the right way would be to round them so that it matches the display, and that we are able to work with the right numbers. Without seeing decimals this is an important matter that the UI is hiding from players.

unlike rng pull numbers where fractions don‘t really matter that much because we can‘t maie decisions based in them, match damage is a thing we want to be aware of to make informed decisions.
  • eddidit
    eddidit Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Options
    supergarv said:
    After unhoarding I muscle-memoried myself into levelling 5 Thor up twice (double-claiming 200 LTs does that...) 

OK now I'm annoyed, he is the only 5* that for some reason I haven't pulled not even 1 cover for and you've leveled him up twice. RNGesus really doesn't like me. 
  • supergarv
    Options
    No I leveled him unchamped with ISO, not covers.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This sounds like hidden decimals situation. Thor's red is 2nd strongest, but Okoye's red is 3rd strongest colors, and they don't progress exactly the same. And apparently, it looks like at different levels it can change which one takes the lead? 
  • supergarv
    Options
    I sold him, that useless half-health guy.
  • supergarv
    Options
    Joking aside. Customer Support was nice to be and they understood my bad muscle memory, so I could withdraw that level up.

Thor at level 444 has red at 598. At level 445 its going to 603, thats 5 points. I checked the earlier levels and they usually add 4, 4, 5 points. So there is definitely rounding going on, and hidden decimals.
  • JSP869
    Options
    Sounds like the hidden decimals are hidden to us, but not to the game's engine. As I said earlier @OJSP you were not wrong.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Decimals is exactly right.
    I had a tough situation where blue and purple were presented as having exact match damage between Okoye and Thor, Changing their lineup position didn't matter, proving it was the fractional values.
    This tanking situation happens when Thor is more than 6 levels higher than Okoye. 

They are both champed so Iso couldn't help, and I had to wait for an additional cover to level Okoye higher. He still tanks green and red of course.

Finally this alleviated a huge issue when fighting Gritty for example, Now I can safely match blue or purple with Okoye as needed, then heal afterward.