The Great Tournament Rewards

Dropspot
Dropspot Posts: 200 Tile Toppler
I am not sure why should we care to play another 5 node PvP that doesn't give rewards that are worth to play.

The only decent rewards are coalition rewards, but they are similar to many other events.

Individual and progression rewards are a joke and only paired to the worst event rewards wise ever made RAW. 

I don't see why any player outside a top25 team would care to play this.

And for those on competitive teams they will only fill the obligation to play without any desire associated.

For me it's a really bad decision that will only lead to discourage players playing the game. And will hurt a lot coalitions to keep it's ranks full.

Really sad about that.

And I am not even mentioning the decision of the new event being ankther 5 node PvP, we don't receive a new coalition PvE in quite a long time.

Comments

• Horadrim
    Horadrim Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Can use the event to master cards. No pressure in losing 2ndary objectives.
  • Horadrim
    I agree, but I am still hoping that they lower the cost for joining Trial of the Planes (may be breakeven to 30 mana crystals?)
  • ThomBlairIII
    ThomBlairIII Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    I also feel it's too much work for the rewards. 
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2019
    Quantius said:
    I prefer to see rewards skewed more heavily towards progression, unless they're going to change the ladder/bracket/whatever they call their terrible system. It's basically perfect run or nothing. You lose 1 point from an objective, cool, now you're 40th. You lose 2 points, you're just past 100. You lose a match, you're getting the same rewards as someone who just hits progression and then gives up.
    The new system does that in a certain way,   as personal ranking rewards are so poor that loosing games don't matter anymore. 

As  far  as I'm concerned i have left top 10 gaming mostly for time issues, but the neverending events with bad rewards were definitely the nail on the coffin. (Hello elderspark and Raw)
    Considering the reward pattern in recent events, it was definitely not worth my time anymore.

The time/rewards ratio is way better if you stick to progression (and avoid spending vip boosters on a set release ... Which would make booster rewards worthless).

This new system has been weakening competitive play in benefit of casual play ... and it has not been good for the thrill.
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2019
    Not sure I agree. I mean, it's obvious we've entered another austerity phase in the reward structure (and the result last time nearly killed the game), but I think the coalition rewards are being left the way they are to encourage more people to put more effort into building up their coalition scores by playing out all their charges. Since the rewards at the top are so much better I think they're counting on a higher level of competition. Trouble is, when you're in a marginal top 50 coalition (or lower) like me all it takes is a couple of "try hard but fail anyways" efforts to get all but the most serious to quit trying, and the serious ones will leave to find a better coalition if they can.
    Personally, I've always felt that if everyone in the coalition at least made progression the coalition score should take care of itself. I guess Oktagon/D3 sees that as inadequate... :/
  • Dropspot
    If they don't care about coalitions anymore and want to focus on casual play, I would prefer to have better individual and progression rewards and poor coalition rewards than what we have now.

Even being on a top10 team I think it's more important we have rewards that make players want to play the game than the way they are today.

I think most of players I know would prefer better individual and progression over coalition rewards. And by doing that they would make coalitions being less relevant. Even more than they already are.

In past being in a coalition was the only way to have a good progress in the game nowadays I don't think this is true anymore. Most of rewards have shifted from coalition events to regular events that runs during the week. And I have no problems with that.

But making coalition events being a tedious experience won't only kill coalition, will make lots of players that still think coalitions are a great part of the game leave. Some will only leave competitive play but many will leave the game for good. 

Rewards the way they are now are terrible for player that still think coalitions are important, but are bad for the game in general in the long run.
  • Horadrim
    Business-wise it is better for D3 to give away better rewards in daily events than in weekend events. 5 days vs 2 days of engagement. Entice more players to login and play (even only for progression rewards) daily vs only every weekend.
  • CheeksMagunda
    CheeksMagunda Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    edited December 2019
    This entire PvP event feels (sorry in advance) lazy and poorly implemented. It's basically a direct copy of previous events, the rewards are negligible, the nodes are all buggy and hard to play through even when they work properly, and not even the lore matches up - the description in one place says "the king has returned so here's this celebratory tournament, hooray" while in another it ominously states "nobody knows when it started but it will never end."
    Good news though, everyone - the links to spend resources and money on the shiny new cards work perfectly! 
    You can't honestly tell me you're surprised that this event is a slap in the face when the guys behind the game have so thinly veiled what their priorities are. 
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Horadrim said:
    Business-wise it is better for D3 to give away better rewards in daily events than in weekend events. 5 days vs 2 days of engagement. Entice more players to login and play (even only for progression rewards) daily vs only every weekend.

Do you know with certainty that people who play daily are more apt to spend more money? What if people who play daily are able to get enough cards that it undercuts the need to spend?
  • Horadrim
    jtwood said:
    Horadrim said:

Do you know with certainty that people who play daily are more apt to spend more money? What if people who play daily are able to get enough cards that it undercuts the need to spend?
    The keyword is "engagement".
  • Dropspot
    Why can't they balance everything so all events can give decent rewards. 

There is no excuse to me.

If engagement is important, for a lot of players coalition events is the reason to keep playing the game. I only play week day event to earn resources to be able to keep competitive. If coalition events are going to be like RAW and TGT for now on. It may the time to take another break.

And I believe that this feeling is something lots of competitive players will have and this will hurt even more the game overall.

I lead a group of 5 teams and finding new players is harder day after day. In the past it was easier to find experienced players out there, now most players we find are brand new accounts.

They need to take care of existing players in a better way.

This trend of terrible rewards for coalition events is bad for a significant part of the active community, and will affect engagement and motivation to play the game.
  • Bil
    jtwood said:
    Horadrim said:

There's no certainty that they would spend, but it is almost certain that casual non Vip players will never complete the sets with the current card distribution. 
    In the current set almost 50% are rare + cards ... 15 mps, 35 mythics, 55 rares ... 
    With the cut in currency rewards ... It seems very unlikely that anyone will complete it through regular boosters/Eps only.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Horadrim said:
    jtwood said:
    Horadrim said:

Fine. I'll rephrase the question, your honor. ;)
    Do you know with certainty that people who are more engaged are more apt to spend more money? What if people who are more engaged are able to get enough cards that it undercuts the need to spend?
  • Horadrim
    jtwood said:
    Horadrim said:
    jtwood said:
    Horadrim said:

Fine. I'll rephrase the question, your honor. ;)
    Do you know with certainty that people who are more engaged are more apt to spend more money? What if people who are more engaged are able to get enough cards that it undercuts the need to spend?
    I don't have the data... but in business volume/quantity can trump quality.
  • Firstofhisname419
    Firstofhisname419 Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Didn't they promise at one point that there would be more pinks given out as rewards?
  • Bil
    They did indeed ... It was supposed to be a way to make vanguards affordable.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    A paranoid person might feel that the continued devaluation of coalition events is a shot across the bow in an attempt to get all the old guard to leave. =p