What was your first good card of the new set?

Options
FindingHeart8
FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
My first super pack had Robber of the Rich and Cauldron's Gift as the guaranteed rare.  How has your luck been so far? What was your first good card? (Doesn't have to be rare/mythic/masterpiece, in previous sets like m19, some of the best cards were uncommons).

Wha'dja get? :)

Comments

• Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I got all of them. The first one I tried to build
    Around was Mirrodin Besieged (first attempt not successful). Second one I tried to build around was Fervent Champion (doesnt work or doesnt work as written not sure I think bugged). Third one I built around was Piper of the Swarm ( this one was pretty successful a 20 shield rat was pretty good). And that's as far as I got.
  • OmegaLolrus
    OmegaLolrus Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I opened Embercleave and Cauldron of Eternity in my first couple packs (which is to say the 20 or so I had crystals). Besides that, my luck's been lacking.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I pulled a Torban and a Magic Mirror from my first couple packs, both are definitely solid mythics.
    Neither is broken, but both are definitely good cards for the right decks.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In 3 PPs, I've managed 7 rares and a mythic. Nothing of note, but I have been able to turn Lovestruck Beast into something playable in an aggro build with Hanged Executioner and some other token makers.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    starfall said:
    Dance of the Manse. Pretty decent.

o.m.g.  o.O   I stand corrected! :)

For me I got the mythic Petty Theft/Brazen Borrower adventure card. Fun stuff for blue. quick to cast and versatile.

Going to play with Harmonious Archon today. @Nalthazar thanks for the review on this card.

• Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I've got most of the set, but certain cards have been standing out as I test decks.

• The Magic Mirror - I was a bit dubious when I saw it in the spoiler gallery, but it's really strong.
    • Syr Konrad, the Grim - He's doing some good work with Kaya and a Turbomoeba Bolas deck.
    • Syr Carah, the Bold - This card is just amazing since we lost a lot of fast gem converters. She can easily fill your hand with half cost cards (pair with Chandra's Pyrohelix for tastyness).
    • Questing Beast - Not a big surprise here, but yeah, he's a beast.
    • Torban, Thane of Red Fell - Really opens up any PW with red for some strong control presence.
    • Emry, Lurker of the Lock - Amazing all around.
    • Castle Garenbrig - Greens still got it!
    • Castle Locthwain - Very strong activated ability in this slower format.
    • Folio of Fancies - All that talk about Altar of Dementia, but this card is really easy to use and trigger it's milling effect. It even gives you one trigger built in to itself. I've been getting a lot of milage with this one.
    • Mad Ratter - Rrrrrrats. Watch out for him in control decks. Resourceful is a really strong mechanic and this guy gets dangerous very quickly.
    • Brazen Borrower - Nice cheap beater with a bounce spell on the flip side. Really good value and efficient use of space, I expect to see him a lot.
    • Gilded Goose - Needs a food deck, but it really delivers.
    • Urza, Lord High Artificer - Needs a bit of build around, but he definitely makes some fatties.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quantius said:
    I've got most of the set, but certain cards have been standing out as I test decks.

• The Magic Mirror - I was a bit dubious when I saw it in the spoiler gallery, but it's really strong.
    • Syr Konrad, the Grim - He's doing some good work with Kaya and a Turbomoeba Bolas deck.
    • Syr Carah, the Bold - This card is just amazing since we lost a lot of fast gem converters. She can easily fill your hand with half cost cards (pair with Chandra's Pyrohelix for tastyness).
    • Questing Beast - Not a big surprise here, but yeah, he's a beast.
    • Torban, Thane of Red Fell - Really opens up any PW with red for some strong control presence.
    • Emry, Lurker of the Lock - Amazing all around.
    • Castle Garenbrig - Greens still got it!
    • Castle Locthwain - Very strong activated ability in this slower format.
    • Folio of Fancies - All that talk about Altar of Dementia, but this card is really easy to use and trigger it's milling effect. It even gives you one trigger built in to itself. I've been getting a lot of milage with this one.
    • Mad Ratter - Rrrrrrats. Watch out for him in control decks. Resourceful is a really strong mechanic and this guy gets dangerous very quickly.
    • Brazen Borrower - Nice cheap beater with a bounce spell on the flip side. Really good value and efficient use of space, I expect to see him a lot.
    • Gilded Goose - Needs a food deck, but it really delivers.
    • Urza, Lord High Artificer - Needs a bit of build around, but he definitely makes some fatties.

wonderful feedback! thanks for taking the time to write it up. I agree about Brazen Borrower. He is like an extra card for cheap.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I kinda like the harmonious archon:

- A 8/9 and a 9/9 creature for 20 is already a solid card.
    - The buff to other tokens is crazy good too ...
    - Cherry on the cake ... Turning oponent's Gaea's into harmless 3/3 before they can even attack is something any MTGPQ player must have hoped for once in his career.
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My luck has been splendid, as always! I opened my third pp (having only 4 ELD rares at that time) and I got two rares, both dupes! A very motivating and well spent 320 gold.
  • Horadrim
    Horadrim Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Urza the new STV/Swindle combo any blue. Embercleave is also pretty strong Koth/Nahiri/Samut speed. Altar of Dementia (with Killer Instinct) as expected with Angrath.
  • Horadrim
    Horadrim Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    starfall said:
    Horadrim said:
    Urza the new STV/Swindle combo any blue. 
    I've not really looked at Urza yet but it converts a bunch of gems for some reason or another so I imagine I'll get on my tiresome 'game balance' high horse about it at some point.
    Build with ETB effects like Yarok, Killer Instinct, Oath of Teferi etc and you have STV on steroids.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2019
    Options
    starfall said:
    Horadrim said:
    Urza the new STV/Swindle combo any blue. 
    I've not really looked at Urza yet but it converts a bunch of gems for some reason or another so I imagine I'll get on my tiresome 'game balance' high horse about it at some point.
    I ran into Urza in this event and was lucky enough to have vanguard Karn in play. Granted, the gem matching was indeed a pain, but Karn locked down his first creature all of the match and hands down won it for me.
    Pity vanKarn didn't stop him from casting artifacts. There's always something wrong, isn't there?