CotT: Agent Coulson vs. Dr. Strange

Options
PuceMoose
PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
This was one of the most boring crashes for me, as I never had a chance to fire a single power. It was one of those matches where the board was constantly reshuffling, and my only moves seemed to enable Strange to match either yellow, purple, or blue on his turn. Strange stunned my champed 5/5/3 Coulson once, but I eventually wore him down with match damage. A level 150 Taskmaster Sword helped Coulson overcome the board's trickery with solid extra damage to the so-called "hero". 

My reward was a 5th saved cover for Agent Venom, blargh.

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is an odd one, certainly. Fortunately for me, Coulson is one of my higher-level 4*, so he has the health to absorb a few blasts from the Faltine. I actually ended up using all of my powers at least once. Got pretty beat up in the process, but Strange still dropped before I did, so it was all good. If you wait for the right opportunity, Coulson's purple can do absolutely ludicrous damage from setting up match-5s and such.
    Token was a non-green 5* Iceman!
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Took four attempts for my 1/2/0 Coulson, with 2*Taskmaster's Sword and max damage boosts in each of the three color pairs.

Either Strange yellow or blue would one-shot my low-level Coulson, so I had to deny those colors, and avoid all powers. My first two attempts were within 500 hp of winning, so I knew it was doable.

Getting cascades was pretty crucial to victory (multiple procs from the Sword), as was forcing Strange to settle for off-color matches as much as feasible. It's a pure match-damage fight, paying close attention to board layout, and not taking any unnecessary risks with spawning tiles. (Avoid moves that might create blue or yellow matches for him).

Token was a Namor black.
  • Tarelgeth
    Tarelgeth Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Options
    Luckily, Strange is such a low hit point pushover that even a low Coulson should be able to win just by denying Strange's blue and letting match damage do the work.

Loved the Black Friday routine above, that was a great read.