Q&A w/Oktagon - November Edition (11/7/19)

2»

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pretty much all of these ideas have been proposed here at some point or another over the years.
    So far nothing has changed, and I doubt that anything will significantly change going forward either.

I'm just glad they fixed that old bug where we played against the same 10 troll decks over and over again lol.
  • boopers
    boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Horadrim said:
    Or how about matchmaking will be based on: 1st) coalition ranking (e.g. top 200 players in top 10 coalitions will be matched against each other first); if not matched then 2nd) card collection (e.g. those with 2500's vs 2500's, 2000-2499 vs 2000-2499, etc.; if still can't find match then 3rd) player level. (200's vs 200's, 150-199 vs 150-199, etc.); if still can't find match then next lower coalition tier (e.g. top 10 coalition member vs top 11-20, etc.)
    I don’t think you can use coalition ranking here. It would be a small pool and there are a lot of very good players with complete collections in lower coalitions that would get an unfair advantage. Plus you’d need to employ a better coalition ranking system than we currently have that reflects recent coalition performance rather than all time. 

I think there is a good opportunity for a different event style based on overall coalition performance though. A head to head event of some sort. 

A matchmaking system will need to remove card collections as a factor too. I have a complete collection, but I only use 20-30% of the cards. 

A single match is only determined by two factors: what 10 cards you are using, and player skill. Player skill would be difficult to map, but not impossible if there were some other features such as “seasons” being introduced into the game along with a better player level system. That just leaves card power as the only factor relevant to the individual match. Matching against other factors is too arbitrary to achieve the desired outcome. 
  • boopers
    boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Mburn7 said:
    Pretty much all of these ideas have been proposed here at some point or another over the years.
    So far nothing has changed, and I doubt that anything will significantly change going forward either.

I'm just glad they fixed that old bug where we played against the same 10 troll decks over and over again lol.
    Agreed, but octagon is at least looking at this thread... putting ideas out there can’t hurt even if it is frustrating to not seem them being leveraged. 

I don’t envy octagon, they have a small team that has to keep up with a production timeline of a monster organization like WotC. They focus on that first, so it makes sense that other improvements are slower to implement. 
  • Mburn7
    starfall said:
    LakeStone said:

What is the future of legacy other than an ever-growing repository of old sets?  Will there ever be sets eliminated from the game?  Will more legacy events become set/block-restricted?

As Legacy is an ever growing environment, that increases with the standard set rotations and with the launch of retroactively contents, it is natural that this format becomes more and more controlled by specific overwhelming strategies. In order to avoid this negative perspective, and to make it healthier for new Legacy sets, some old events and new alike will be gradually reworked to become set or block-restricted. This way, players will be able to play with their older cards within thematic events that require more of deck building and decision making, instead of powerful card combinations that can win a fight in a single turn.

Any plans to broaden out booster crafting for Legacy beyond the single 'Legacy' booster? It's not easy to get hold of the cards that one wants like that! Not everybody has been playing for years like me and owns all of Legacy already!
    Eh.  When crafting went live I had over 100 Legacy mythics to craft.  It took me less than a year to get them all.
    We get sooo many orbs, Legacy packs, and non-dupe stuff it really isn't as daunting as it seems.

Also, as you're fond of saying, there are a lot of issues much more important that should be addressed first :p
  • Mburn7
    starfall said:
    Mburn7 said:

Also, as you're fond of saying, there are a lot of issues much more important that should be addressed first :p
    Again. AGAIN with the attacks on feedback.

Seriously, y'all are going to have to let me know what I can and can't post.
    Hmm, maybe I needed another smiley face.  One didn't get the tone across.

I was just needling you with your exact post on another thread dude.  The only thing I'm attacking is the concept of humor.  I agree that all feedback is good feedback as long as its honest and factual.