New Feature in R191: Shards

Comments

• Chameleon
    Chameleon Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    DAZ0273 said:

We all need to stop pretending that our comments have an outsized influence on what the developers do.

I would normally agree with this 100%, the only thing that makes me think that the Developers do use this forum for enhanced customer feedback was the end of "Tapping". I couldn't even have told you what tapping was without the forum and I have been playing this game nigh on 4 years. I mean if the Forum represents a tiny percentage of active players then the percentage affected by tapping must be barely a blip. Yet it was addressed. Maybe this was on their radar anyway, dunno but there was a fairly active and regular campaign on here against it.

They also do the surveys and get feedback that way.  I don't think we can know how much we, the forum posters, influence them without being told.
  • ElReyFelix
    ElReyFelix Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Not only is it random; but it doesn’t cycle through everyone. So I’ve had Thanos 2-3x in the store (my highest champ) and yet to have a Parker (my targeted hero). It wouldn’t be MPQ without more RNG!
    @Daredevil217 I'm assuming you're referring to 5*'s? So you've already had Thanos 5* come up multiple times for shard purchase?
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    I also had Hela come around at least twice in the shard store... so it's definitely random.
  • Chameleon
    OJSP said:

My personal feeling is, this type of people won't be satisfied with anything anyway. People can be hard to please or overly critical for many reasons. Some people can even find tiny faults in everything (so they could be very good at certain jobs).

Having said that, feedback is feedback, as long as it's constructive and reasonable, the developers could still use their ideas. Being too negative would just put them off from reading past the first few words.
    Bingo.  Thanks for this!
  • Chameleon
    edited November 2019

To the people saying, "we now have control! Waste is 100% preventable!" that was true under the old system as well.  Old system = just don't BH someone with 5 colors. New system = just don't ever pull Classics, spend in pop-up stores, or target anyone with a feeder.  Both are restrictive. 

Just because this fits your playstyle it doesn't mean other people's reactions to this are invalid.  I feel like all feedback needs to be heard.

If the players here can't behave rationally and choose to behave like it's the end of the world, then I think it's much better for the developer to keep quiet and post only when they have the full details of updates to come, rather than giving partial updates.

I think it's a mentality and attitude issue.
    Also, I need to point this out because it goes on far too much.  I don't see anyone here acting like the world is ending.  Many people are upset, but within proper context.  We all know "this is just a game" and I don't see anyone equating their anger toward these changes with the world ending.  You keep throwing out "the players assume this", "the players say that", "the players behave like this", when you don't really know.  And these hyperbolic statements like "choose to behave like the world is ending" actually add very little to the productivity of these threads.  If you are going to make these global, dismissive statements about "players", then please give some context as to where your own assumptions are coming from.

Aside from these types of assertions about others, all I'm seeing is feedback and suggestions.  If it "feels good" we call it "positive feedback" if it "feels bad" we call it "negative feedback", "criticism", or even "attacking".  But at the end of the day it is all just feedback.  If it goes beyond that, that's what we have Mods for.

As Hound likes to point out, the devs have data and metrics that none of us players do.  It is possible I am in fact in the minority.  Maybe I'm one of few 5* players who thinks Bishop is a problem, one of the only players who thinks communication around here is awful,  who wanted supports to be reasonably attainable, who likes character re-balances, pop-up stores, Bonus Heroes, and all the other cool things The rockett mentioned, that players seemingly loved that were taken away.  It could be just me and a handful of others.  Or... maybe the ways in which they collect their data often misses things.  Or maybe they think they are solving a problem for the majority of the players, but don't realize that in doing so, they create new ones.  So to all the people who defend the developers, say they feel sorry for them, and tell other players how they feel, why they are frustrated, and what they are assuming, it would be way more productive to say what YOU like and dislike, so they have that data rather trying to invalidate the opinions of others.  MY assumption is the developers are full-on adults who don't need people holding their hands or fragilizing them.
    OMG YES! Thank you!!!

Bryan Lambert said:

It’s moves like this, moves that are basically lateral shifts in the ingame economy with benefits for some, detriments to others, and mostly little change for everyone, that lead to conversations like this. Especially because they invariably (and understandably, but disingenuously) promote these as net positives for everyone, or as an “attempt to address dilution” when it’s really replacing the old, inadequate attempt to address dilution with a new, differently inadequate attempt to address dilution.
    Bingo.  Then it warrants feedback.
  • Chameleon

So if it were me, I would try to make the game more friendly for newer players (increase rewards) since many in the end game can “keep up” as is. But I understand it isn’t an easy problem to solve. 

Edit: it might be helpful for their data to ask WHY people spend. I know tons who will spend even if they don’t NEED to (no choke point) as well as those who refuse to due to perceived bad customer experience, even if they are at a choke point (me currently with Hero Points). 
    I completely agree.  I know it would inevitably make some players unhappy but I have been saying, for a while now, (elsewhere, mind you) that newer players should get more free roster spots.  I help mentor a lot of newer players (2 months to 2 years of playing) and they are constantly faced with who to roster and who to sell.  The amount of HP they would need to purchase to gain all the needed roster spots is vastly higher than veterans ever had to.

Currently, in PvP, players are locked out of lower clearance levels as they progress.  If this was done in PvE then players in lower CLs could be rewarded with more HP to combat this.

There may even be other ways to do this.  Perhaps I am too far off-topic for this thread.  Is there another one where it would fit better?  I don't read them all.

We need the newer players to keep this game going, especially at the current rate of retirement.
  • Chameleon
    edited November 2019
    OJSP said:
    If a 5* character has some shards already while a feeder is announced for them, wouldn't it be better to continue until we get the cover? Considering we'd get a steady stream of covers from the 4* feeder, I'd argue we should continue until we eliminate any left over shards. Then, we could move on to the next one.

I understand it's going to be a very slow process, but recycling a 4* or building a duplicate 4* is an option if we play long enough and we will get more 5* covers from the champion rewards. That one cover for the 5000 iso from lvl 452 reward could be what gets us faster to the next LT.
    What I think is ultimately going to happen is we will.be getting some quantity of shards for all 5*'s from rewards.  So we will get value from these shards eventually.  It will feel like a waste to see shards we purchased or got from opening tokens get lost in the ocean so to speak, but it's a sunk cost at that point and for me it will really just depend on how close to getting that cover I am.  Most likely I'll cut bait, because my one and only goal at this point is to champ them all.
    Key word: eventually.

This is not great for many at the moment.  If it were there since the beginning then it wouldn't be a problem.  I'm not complaining that it wasn't.  Growth is necessary.  This is actually pretty good for newer players.. sort of.  See my post above about roster slots.

Sadly, for the 5* tier, and the 4* to an extent, with new characters always coming, this will always be a grind and there will always be concerns about who to sharget due to perceived wastage.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Chameleon said:
    OJSP said:
    If a 5* character has some shards already while a feeder is announced for them, wouldn't it be better to continue until we get the cover? Considering we'd get a steady stream of covers from the 4* feeder, I'd argue we should continue until we eliminate any left over shards. Then, we could move on to the next one.

I understand it's going to be a very slow process, but recycling a 4* or building a duplicate 4* is an option if we play long enough and we will get more 5* covers from the champion rewards. That one cover for the 5000 iso from lvl 452 reward could be what gets us faster to the next LT.
    What I think is ultimately going to happen is we will.be getting some quantity of shards for all 5*'s from rewards.  So we will get value from these shards eventually.  It will feel like a waste to see shards we purchased or got from opening tokens get lost in the ocean so to speak, but it's a sunk cost at that point and for me it will really just depend on how close to getting that cover I am.  Most likely I'll cut bait, because my one and only goal at this point is to champ them all.
    Key word: eventually.

This is not great for many at the moment.  If it were there since the beginning then it wouldn't be a problem.  I'm not complaining that it wasn't.  Growth is necessary.  This is actually pretty good for newer players.. sort of.  See my post above about roster slots.

Sadly, for the 5* tier, and the 4* to an extent, with new characters always coming, this will always be a grind and there will always be concerns about who to sharget due to perceived wastage.
    Oh, I agree.  The human reaction of many will be disappointment at getting the cover via a feeder or lucky pull after investing in that character.
    But as far as trying to see the potential of the system, this is really just a way for us to get fractions of a cover, which means they can be included in places where the bean counters would never allow a full cover to be included.
    If they deliver on this promise then yeah it's not particularly satisfying to get shards vs full covers, but we'll be better for it and we will get value for those wasted shards.  If they don't do this or give them out in small quantities to where there is no point, I forsee more retirement posts.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    I've been a VIP since the program began. At first it was a great value, but as I've progressed to the point of earning rewards faster, the value has diminished. Still, I didn't mind contributing $10 a month to a game that I mostly enjoy... until now.

Between the annoying new UI needing twice the clicks to open packs, twice the clicks to save a cover, and now making us deal with fractions of characters, I feel MPQ only deserves a fraction of my money.

My VIP runs out around the end of the month and for the first time I will not be renewing. I intend to only get the $2 hero points each month just for the intercepts. This alone won't affect their bottom line, but it sounds like plenty of others dislike the changes even more than I do. If others do the same they will have to realize how bad this is.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Already wasted 111 shards targeting my 2/5/5 torch. Didn’t realise the red was in pve progression AND shield sim for the season. Should have targeted 2099 spidey instead (5/3/2).
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Well that stinks my friend.
    But to be fair, that's not exactly shards to blame, just bad luck timing right?

This is a character build that you would never comfortably set as a BH. Targeting offers a nice solution for your 2/5/5 situation. Your only other option would be to wait until...
     he comes around in the rewards cycle.

I can't tell you how many times I've set a character as a BH, I get it finally, and then they are rewarded a couple events later..

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hope they come up with a better way for you to manage and look at who is getting shards. Maybe it would be a drop down, like how you select you * for the characters.  This would then list who all has shards on your roster.  
  • Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 406 Mover and Shaker
    I hope they come up with a better way for you to manage and look at who is getting shards. Maybe it would be a drop down, like how you select you * for the characters.  This would then list who all has shards on your roster.  
    Agreed. I like that you can see how many shards your selected shard characters have if you click the ? mark in any cover-pack screen, but that doesn’t help for a character who’s no longer selected but does have shards on them. 
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Pongie said:
    Already wasted 111 shards targeting my 2/5/5 torch. Didn’t realise the red was in pve progression AND shield sim for the season. Should have targeted 2099 spidey instead (5/3/2).
    compared to how many times you got a bonus hero of the wrong color? 
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wonko33 said:
    Pongie said:
    I hoard and only pull to complete someone. Therefore, I have never gotten a wasted bonus hero. See the link to my progress report (in my signature) that shows each time I pulled. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dogface said:
    Wonko33 said:
    Pongie said:

Yeah but when you would pull a bonus hero in the wrong color, it's more of a aw shucks moment. Now if you pull the 13th when you have 300+ shards in a cover it's more of a what the "tiny kitty" moment.... 
    I can tell you the moment my 5/5/0 Okoye didn't get the red cover from BH I wanted, aw shucks weren't the words leaving my mouth.
    So I am very curious about this and others that talk about 5/5/0 or whatever type of 5* that have feeders.  I have seen many people comment about this but I question if you were BHing their feeder. Like Shuri, was she BHed?  I get that you would need one at 360 and a dupe at 330 to champ just by the feeders but i still wonder about this.  
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dogface said:
    Wonko33 said:
    Pongie said:

Yeah but when you would pull a bonus hero in the wrong color, it's more of a aw shucks moment. Now if you pull the 13th when you have 300+ shards in a cover it's more of a what the "tiny kitty" moment.... 
    I can tell you the moment my 5/5/0 Okoye didn't get the red cover from BH I wanted, aw shucks weren't the words leaving my mouth.
    So I am very curious about this and others that talk about 5/5/0 or whatever type of 5* that have feeders.  I have seen many people comment about this but I question if you were BHing their feeder. Like Shuri, was she BHed?  I get that you would need one at 360 and a dupe at 330 to champ just by the feeders but i still wonder about this.  
    People get natural pulls for the character. And many players do not have 4*'s at the 320 mark yet. So it's very possible to have the feeder bonuses and not be up to 320. I had my shuri bonuses for several months at one point and she is only 290. My okoye is 5-4-1.