Shard QoL Tweaks. Please post all suggestions here.

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    If we can’t bring back bonus heroes straight up, please consider giving double (or more) shards on what would have been a BH. I pulled a 3* from standard yesterday and got...the same shards I would get for a 1* pull. 

graduate the shard drops such that you get more when you land a higher rarity organic cover. IE if you organically pull a 5* from Latest, flip the number of 5/4* shards you earn so you get 3 for the 4* and 15 for the 5*. Propagate this through all token types.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    If we can’t bring back bonus heroes straight up, please consider giving double (or more) shards on what would have been a BH. I pulled a 3* from standard yesterday and got...the same shards I would get for a 1* pull. 

graduate the shard drops such that you get more when you land a higher rarity organic cover. IE if you organically pull a 5* from Latest, flip the number of 5/4* shards you earn so you get 3 for the 4* and 15 for the 5*. Propagate this through all token types.

I pulled Cloak & Dagger from a Heroic token and had the exact same feeling - it doesn't happen often as it is so surely you should get a little bonus.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Go to a 3, 4 and 5 star pool of shards, period,not tied directly to a character. You can keep the monetization factor where people can buy character specific pools of shards for someone they know they are chasing that get added directly to that character, but any shards drawn from opening a token should go to a wild card pool, where people can choose which characters to apply those shards to when they choose to. Very similar to ISO, you'd be able to see I'm missing this many pulls here to get a color off my choice on this character. It takes away the anger people are going to have where they choose a 5 star and get within 50 shards of being complete only to naturally draw the cover they've been collecting shards for, especially with characters upwards of 10 or more covers. 
  • Chameleon
    Chameleon Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Bump since people are still posting suggestions all over.
  • generic_username_8
    generic_username_8 Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    One suggestion for shard accumulation is to gain shards for a character whenever you earn a cover for them in progression or placement in events. Pick up 3 covers from placement? Shards. Get one through progression? Shards. This makes it feel a little less like "oh, jeez, I gotta start from scratch" every time, and instead you will occasionally get an extra character cover, just like with bonus heroes. Plus, if I see that a character is only missing 55 shards, I'm probably more inclined to purchase them when the character pops up in the store.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 496 Mover and Shaker
    RNG shard multiplier, with an extra helping of RNG to determine the bonus.

Foe example: 1:7 chance for 3*, 1:11 chance for 4*, and a 1:20 chance for 5* to get an increase. If you hit those odds, then 1:10 chance of ×10, 1:5 chance of ×7, and then otherwise ×3.
  • Chameleon
    Chameleon Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Perhaps a way to rectify the feeling of 'wasted shards' is to offer the opportunity to immediately move the shards to another character in the same tier upon pulling a cover for that character.  This would be akin to previously being able to move our BH as soon as we got the cover we wanted, naturally or via the BH system.

I'm not a coder so I don't know how feasible this would be.  It would certainly alleviate some of the concerns players have.
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Reecoh said:
    The fancy new heart icons on the roster screen that let you toggle your chosen shard recipient stop allowing you to toggle that setting if they are showing that the character has enough shards to add a cover. Please do not remove functionality when adding additional data indicators.
    I made a post about this in the bugs forum. Some one was kind enough to let me know that you can use the icon at the top of the main character info screen to toggle those targeted characters.

I just checked and the helpful individual was HoundofShadow [thread is here for reference]. 
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Regarding the whole system: I still think shards should be tier-based, not character based.

Tier based
    Create 3 shard pools (3*, 4*, 5*). Shards are added to their respective pool. You can easily prevent 'abuse' of this system (e.g. champing new character moments after release) by using the same method that was in place for BH, so just make 'cover by applying shards' not possible for the first X weeks. If that's not enough restriction, you can also pile on an additional limit by (for example) limiting a cover-by-shards to 1 or 2 per day.

Transfer shards
    Alternatively, if they really want to keep shards character based, allow transfer of shards to another hero but with the following restriction: you can only transfer shards for a character ONCE, and that is when you make that character a champion. In addition, you can only transfer a maximum of (tier*100)-1 shards this way. (This will prevent stockpiling on some dummy character and transfering 1000s of shards whenever you want).
    Example: Your JJ has 12 covers and 300 saved shards. Then you pull the 13th cover (or heck, buy it with CP). When you make the character a champion, you are offered to choose a new target for the 300JJ shards.

Either one of those would improve the system so much imo.
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    DeNappa said:
    Transfer shards
    Alternatively, if they really want to keep shards character based, allow transfer of shards to another hero but with the following restriction: you can only transfer shards for a character ONCE, and that is when you make that character a champion. In addition, you can only transfer a maximum of (tier*100)-1 shards this way. (This will prevent stockpiling on some dummy character and transfering 1000s of shards whenever you want).
    Example: Your JJ has 12 covers and 300 saved shards. Then you pull the 13th cover (or heck, buy it with CP). When you make the character a champion, you are offered to choose a new target for the 300JJ shards.

Either one of those would improve the system so much imo.
    I would maybe amend this to having two instances where you can transfer shards. The first would be when the character is champed but add another case for when the character is max champed. If people are worried about wasted shards these are the only two situations where shards could be considered wasted.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the idea of shard burst: 3% chance to get a shard burst of x2.
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Have a very low chance (read: lower even than Bonus Heroes had been) to "finish" the Shard Meter any time Shards are accrued. 

Okoye's meter is at 201 and you just opened a Token? 204? WHATS THIS? Suddenly her meter is full. It's the thrill / excitement of pulling a Bonus Hero all over again.

Of course, you open the door for those upsetting situations where you were at like 480 and you pull one and only get a few extra shards from it, and some people would complain that it's not fair, etc, but I'd be willing to be that would be a very small group of people, since even then you're still getting several tokens' worth of shards from a single token, and the odds of doing it when it would benefit less than a single token would be astronomically small.

My 2c
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Many people have suggested open shards per tier, I think that's probably a little to open, but there should be something to allow us to recover shards that some consider 'wasted'.

Have the ability to convert shards from one character to another for a cost or be able to sell them for resources (if sold for resources the resources should be based on tier 3* sell for ISO, 4* sell for HP, 5* sell for CP)

Example:
    I'm chasing my 13th cover for X 5*.  I pull it organically when I have 470/500 shards.  Many players consider that now to be wasted effort/resources.  Give us the ability sell and/or convert those shards to a different character with some penalty (have to pay ISO, only 2/3rds of the shards transfer, you can't trade them but you can trade them in for other resources, etc)

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Many people have suggested open shards per tier, I think that's probably a little to open, but there should be something to allow us to recover shards that some consider 'wasted'.

Have the ability to convert shards from one character to another for a cost or be able to sell them for resources (if sold for resources the resources should be based on tier 3* sell for ISO, 4* sell for HP, 5* sell for CP)

Example:
    I'm chasing my 13th cover for X 5*.  I pull it organically when I have 470/500 shards.  Many players consider that now to be wasted effort/resources.  Give us the ability sell and/or convert those shards to a different character with some penalty (have to pay ISO, only 2/3rds of the shards transfer, you can't trade them but you can trade them in for other resources, etc)
    While not ideal, I wouldn't mind a 470/500 scenario too much. It's only 10 more pulls to reap the full reward from sharding when you start from that point, which is only a small extra investment. It's worse the farther you get from the ending point.

In the shards announcement thread, I illustrated an example, which comes basically down to: 
    * suppose you play at a rate that awards you with enough CP/tokens to do 20 legendary pulls per month
    * if you invest 6 month's worth of play into pulls, you're at 360/500 shards
    * if at that point you get cover #13, you must either shelf 6 months worth of progress. OR invest ~2,5 more months of play until you can finally get the reward from shards. The value of which has by that time greatly diminished because it's "only" a champ level. And in that time, you don't make any progress in another character.
  • grumbLEGO
    grumbLEGO Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    I get the character specific shards and why they would do it that way but it can lead to “waste” for above mentioned reasons. So I had two thoughts to leave this the way it is but still solve problems. 

1. Do something a bit like the support lock. If you were to pull a cover for a character you have shards saved for you’ve got 2 hours (or whatever time limit) to transfer the shards you’d collected for that character to another. Or...

2. You can transfer shards at any time but at a cost of HP or ISO or CP or whatever. Maybe all three, you can transfer 3* shards for a cost of iso, 4* shards for a cost of HP and 5* shards for a cost of CP. 
  • Bugeyed
    Bugeyed Posts: 51 Match Maker
    DeNappa said:

In the shards announcement thread, I illustrated an example, which comes basically down to: 
    * suppose you play at a rate that awards you with enough CP/tokens to do 20 legendary pulls per month
    * if you invest 6 month's worth of play into pulls, you're at 360/500 shards
    * if at that point you get cover #13, you must either shelf 6 months worth of progress. OR invest ~2,5 more months of play until you can finally get the reward from shards. The value of which has by that time greatly diminished because it's "only" a champ level. And in that time, you don't make any progress in another character.
    I think that sums it up nicely

even if someone felt the need not to waste those shards and chased the remaining 140, by the time they add that single champion level, which even for a meta 5* won’t change it much at all, they’d have missed the next two newest 

The issue is similar for the 4* and at the rate they keep launching them, without any sign of feeders being updated, the only people who will benefit in the long run are those with full rosters already, as we won’t fall as far behind as those who are still midway through champing their 4*. 

All i I can say to any devs who maybe bothered to read these comments (is that wishful thinking, be nice to see a dev comment in here that they are actually bothering to listen to the community) is look at the feedback you are getting. You tell us player experience of shards is so great, yet here in the comments you have every level of player in the game outraged. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I favorited 3* cap after I max capped him to try and speed duping him.  Well that was apparently a bad call.  Now I only have one 3* cap at 266 and 303/300 shards, which wouldn't be so bad, but when someone's at max shards you apparently cannot unfavorited them unless you use your shards.

Two big problems with that:
    1.  In my case above I cannot use those shards until I get at least 1 more 3* cap recruited.  If I don't get one for months I'll be stuck getting shards for him that I may not once.  Such a thing would be many factors worse on a 4* or 5*...
    2.  I can see use cases where even if someone has the shards, they choose to save them, but if they do that they can't unfavorite the character.  That's not a good idea.

Suggested improvement:
    Don't have a separate icon when maxed, instead add a new meter onto the roster screen that shows everyone shards (which is a QOL change I want to see irregardless of this problem).

Example:

The placement isn't perfect and I'm not graphic artist, but you see the idea.