I Miss that "Yes!!!! I got a Bonus Hero" Feeling

LavaManLee
LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
Started a new thread only because I'm not debating shards vs BH in principle but sharing something I noticed this morning opening tokens.  I really liked that whole "oooh, maybe this time I will get a bonus hero" thought before opening and the instant gratification and excitement when it happened.

Now, did it happen a lot?  No, not really.  But it was super fun when it did.  I just realized that opening tokens is just a teensy less exciting each time knowing the shards I get, even if the ability to get a specific character is more straightforward and transparent.

Comments

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Likewise.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    Now you will know exactly when to be happy...
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    10000000%

The removal of the surprise is a big loss to the fun of opening tokens.

Yes, the dependability is nice.  But this makes opening tokens less interesting (for me) since dilution makes it extremely unlikely that you will get the thing you are hoping for and there's no shortcut mechanism at all.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    My last five 5-star Bonus Heroes were disappointing, because they were the wrong color.

Good riddance.

Yes, we're using a fun "surprise" factor. And I would totally be on board with suggesting the devs find a way to bring back that element in some other feature in the future (maybe a rare big reward, like an LT, in the daily Resupply? only idea I have at the moment).

But I'll take "no surprise" over "bad surprise" any day. As nice as the excitement is for getting a good bonus hero, it doesn't balance out the disappointment of getting one and feeling like it was wasted. So drop the surprise altogether, and let me get what I actually want.
  • Dogface

Yes, the dependability is nice.  But this makes opening tokens less interesting (for me) since dilution makes it extremely unlikely that you will get the thing you are hoping for and there's no shortcut mechanism at all.
    This is almost an ad for TH. 
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Phumade said:
    LOL. Everyone who posts they miss that BH feeling is literally telling them that you want the RNG back in the game.  That feeling is the explicit reason they have loot boxes LOL
    I mean, there's a reason slot machines rake in the cash.

And I agree, really not loving the new system.  Too early to tell if in the end we'll be better for it, but watching the meter slowly fill doesnt do anything for me, I did like the rng of the other system, and the higher rates that came with it didn't hurt.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    depends if you are a "carrot" type or "gambler" type i guess

Carrot people like to see the progress, approaching a goal
    Gamblers like the endorphins of the lucky hit
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Even though I think TH is a better system, it doesn't hit the endorphin button like opening tokens in the BH system did.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    MegaBee said:
    Even though I think TH is a better system, it doesn't hit the endorphin button like opening tokens in the BH system did.
    If you want that endorphin back, buy a few Stark's and buy yourself some nice shards in the new shiny store!

Ugh, I dont like this system either, absolutely a downgrade for now and the profileration of shards in the rewards scheme doesnt excite me at all because I know its going to be handled poorly.

The whole shards thing is really an excuse to monetize another part of the game...
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    JHawkInc said:
    My last five 5-star Bonus Heroes were disappointing, because they were the wrong color.

Good riddance.

Yes, we're using a fun "surprise" factor. And I would totally be on board with suggesting the devs find a way to bring back that element in some other feature in the future (maybe a rare big reward, like an LT, in the daily Resupply? only idea I have at the moment).

But I'll take "no surprise" over "bad surprise" any day. As nice as the excitement is for getting a good bonus hero, it doesn't balance out the disappointment of getting one and feeling like it was wasted. So drop the surprise altogether, and let me get what I actually want.
    I've gambled with BH on a character with 5 covers already in a color, on occasion. And had good luck in such a case more times than bad luck. But I only did it after I had 15-20 champed 5*s. Earlier on, I would always pick a 5* where a BH had no chance of being unusable. At the time at least. There was no guarantee a character wouldn't end up with a lopsided build eventually, it's all rng.

Now, I'm happy to just collect all characters and eventually champ them. Even MCU Wasps of the game. I could see someone caring only about stronger characters and missing a meta one trying over and over, in which case that extra rng on BH could sting so much worse. :( 

Still think, players are paying too much tax -20% (for now, still no other way to get shards by playing, other than legendary stores) for the certainty of a colorless cover for first 13/113 covers on a 5*/4*. That's like, for every 15 covers before - we get 12 now, and that's 3 covers ready to be swapped for 1 on a 5* that ended badly built... Of course not all players got the same number of BH, but then, not all players have 15% draw rate either.
  • Dogface
    My problem with BH on 5* was I didn't want to BH a 5* with 5 covers in any color. It would feel like a waste, bc that saved cover could take months and months to ever become useful.
    The other option was to BH a 5* with less than 5 covers, but hey I'm not going to BH a Wasp or another barely usuable 5*. You want the Kitties, Okoyes, Thors and so on.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I pulled a 3* from a standard token today. Made me sad when I didn't get a bonus hero with it even though I knew I wasn't going to get one anyway. Also, I've had that carrot feeling already today but it just doesn't compare to getting a bonus hero. Just had a thought. If you can collect shards and put them towards one cover for a character then you should also be able to destroy a cover that you don't want and receive shards from it and then put those shards towards a character you do want. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    shardwick said:
    I pulled a 3* from a standard token today. Made me sad when I didn't get a bonus hero with it even though I knew I wasn't going to get one anyway. Also, I've had that carrot feeling already today but it just doesn't compare to getting a bonus hero. Just had a thought. If you can collect shards and put them towards one cover for a character then you should also be able to destroy a cover that you don't want and receive shards from it and then put those shards towards a character you do want. 
    I like the idea of “breaking down” covers into shards but the payout couldn’t be 1:1. You’d just 550 three characters, break them down and 550 three new characters lol. Have the new meta instantly. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    shardwick said:
    I like the idea of “breaking down” covers into shards but the payout couldn’t be 1:1. You’d just 550 three characters, break them down and 550 three new characters lol. Have the new meta instantly. 
    Well yeah they wouldn't go for 100% but maybe getting a fraction of it like 40% for a 3*, 30% for a 4* and 20% for a 5* cover.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    JHawkInc said:

Good riddance.

Simple solution: add 5% chance of bonus shards. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    I miss Bonus Heroes and Brigby - he gave me a unicorn.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    I miss Bonus Heroes and Brigby - he gave me a unicorn.
    Target Brigby. He will post in 500 shards.