What's your preference for Set-Locked Events?

Options
Mburn7
Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
In the November Q&A (https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/80289/q-a-w-oktagon-november-edition-11-7-19#latest) it was mentioned that old events are going to be slowly transformed into Set-Locked events (like the WAR event set).

But I have a feeling that the formatting of this new type of event isn't as cut-and-dry as we think, and of course if something isn't done the way we think it will be we get super angry and ping Brigby too much.  So lets take a poll and try to help the team out!

So, please select which option below you would prefer old events (Terrors, FiRF, Avacyn's Madness...ect) be re-formatted into

What's your preference for Set-Locked Events? 34 votes

Only the event's block + Origins (same as the WAR events)
20%
LaeuftbeidirMburn7jtwoodStalkerAbracadaversrooien_beSmokincookz 7 votes
Only cards in Standard when the event came out (so Terrors would also have Zendikar cards allowed in addition to Innistrad ones)
35%
DragonSorcerermrixl2520StormcrowZzyzzxTomBFindingHeart8TremayneKinesiagreenmeanieWolfbaneFirstofhisname419Windy 12 votes
Option 1 but also restrict walkers by the same rule
14%
Avahadmorgue427WolfteethAmpersandNarcoticsagent 5 votes
Option 2 but also restrict walkers by the same rule
8%
versemageHomeRnRedHerring 3 votes
Other (comment below!)
14%
James13wereotterGunmix25GormhausJamesGam 5 votes
I don't care, however they do it is fine
5%
WiLDRAGEAzerack 2 votes

Comments

• greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Only cards in Standard when the event came out (so Terrors would also have Zendikar cards allowed in addition to Innistrad ones)
    I chose the 2nd one because if your a newer player most likely your card pool we be less that a veteran.  Restricting only to that set would be a grave disadvantage.  Also if you restrict the walkers to this specific event some new players may not have them.  Like what happened in the Trick or Treat event. 
  • Windy
    Windy Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Options
    Like this a lot, thanks for raising!

I thought about limiting PWs as well, but that would make the disadvantage for new players too big as some of these will be ranked events. Especially with the MCs being needed for new sets, Vanguard exclusives etc it would be really hard on new players. 
  • Mburn7
    Options
    I chose the 2nd one because if your a newer player most likely your card pool we be less that a veteran.  Restricting only to that set would be a grave disadvantage.  Also if you restrict the walkers to this specific event some new players may not have them.  Like what happened in the Trick or Treat event. 
    Windy said:
    Like this a lot, thanks for raising!

I thought about limiting PWs as well, but that would make the disadvantage for new players too big as some of these will be ranked events. Especially with the MCs being needed for new sets, Vanguard exclusives etc it would be really hard on new players. 
    Woo, finally some action on this  :)

Yeah, I put the walker idea in there because I thought it sounded cool and because it would be nice to have an event without a Bolas in every node.  But it would definitely be tough on the newbs.

As for the set vs standard distinction, since Standard didn't exist until AMK came out I figured it might be hard to force it retroactively (although by sheer number of sets I guess it wouldn't be an issue).  Also since Origins will still most likely be legal in every event anyway and the event rewards should include a pack or two from the set it'll make it less of an issue.
  • greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Mburn7 Yes it would be nice to have events that don't have Bolas, Unbroken, or Tamioyo. 
  • JamesGam
    JamesGam Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Other (comment below!)
    Unrestricted and being able to use all cards. 

Some things to think about: 
    Does this apply to only PvP or only PvE or both?

Does this make it inaccessible for newer players? 

• Gormhaus
    Gormhaus Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Other (comment below!)
    How about you can use any cards but if you dont follow the set restrictions you get diminished rewards like half the crystals or runes. Or maybe you get extra boosters for following the set restrictions.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Other (comment below!)
    Similar to the second option, but considering PQ didn't follow standard rotation until recently, I think that it should be the paper cards that were available for that set. Zendikar through Hour of Devestation was one standard block, then when Ixalan came out Kaladesh was the starting set for standard. So an Ixalan set, I think, should allow Kaladesh cards but not Innistrad, for example.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    JamesGam said:
    Unrestricted and being able to use all cards. 

Some things to think about: 
    Does this apply to only PvP or only PvE or both?

Does this make it inaccessible for newer players? 

I assume this means you just want things to stay the way they are now?  That's a fine, if boring, opinion.
    As for your other questions, I have no idea how they will be implementing this but I assume it will be for both PvP and PvE events.  And it definitely makes it harder for newer players to win Legacy events, but that's ok!  New players shouldn't be able to win Legacy events right away.  It gives them something to build up towards (this should be pretty clearly communicated to them somehow, though, which Oktagon is not great at)
    Gormhaus said:
    How about you can use any cards but if you don't follow the set restrictions you get diminished rewards like half the crystals or runes. Or maybe you get extra boosters for following the set restrictions.
    Hmm, that would be interesting.  I like that idea because it mitigates some of the new player issues with a set locked system while still effectively locking the sets anyway.  Not sure how easy it would be to implement, though.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Great poll @mburn7!!  :)

I'm not entirely sure which choice exactly would have the maximum effect, but what I'd want to see are events that make the cards that are good, but not AS good as the top-played cards of the set useable and sought after, encouraging more deck creativity and new strategy development  :)
  • Ampersand
    Ampersand Posts: 206 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Option 1 but also restrict walkers by the same rule
    @Mburn7 Yes it would be nice to have events that don't have Bolas, Unbroken, or Tamioyo. 
    This is pretty much why I chose the option that I did. I welcome events that encourage us to use PWs other than the tippy-top-tier. I think so long as the Origins walkers are allowed (and they are supposedly getting reworked, but not holding my breath) it will level the playing field a bit for newbies.

Also, the only reason I didn't choose the "Standard-at-the-time" option is because Standard hasn't been in PQ since the beginning, and there have been a few different methods of determining when it rotates. I'm totally ok with cards allowed being expanded a little bit beyond just the block, but I also like the block restriction - it encourages using cards that often get overlooked.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Other (comment below!)
    I like block only (no origins).  I do those on my own for fun.  Along with thematic walker choice.

Heavy restrictions can be very interesting to build.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    James13 said:
    I like block only (no origins).  I do those on my own for fun.  Along with thematic walker choice.

You need to have Origins included for newer players, otherwise they may not have enough legal cards to make a deck at all, let alone a decent one.

Now I know I just said Legacy events shouldn't be geared toward new players, but it should at least be possible for them to do something.  
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Other (comment below!)
    James13 said:

I second this concept. Leave Origins out and go with blocks and a series of thematic walkers.