New Feature in R191: Shards

Comments

• Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    I think this will succeed or fail based on the extraneous ways you can earn, specifically 5* shards.  But really my best memories hoard-wise have been the surprise back to back BHs I think once it was even a pair of 5s.  I just pulled 40-50 chasing Daredevil covers.  In the middle of those dry streaks I'd at least feel better from the couple of 4* BHs that I was getting in between 5s.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I see that there are no shards awared in Featured Character 1/10/40 packs - does this mean the 1:250 5* hp stores are done?
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Kitty is 5/1/5. I have pulled 5 Bonus Heroes for Kitty while chasing her, and at least one cover from the Anniversary Fan Favorite LT (that was a two-fer, Kitty with a bonus Kitty).

Her current build is 5/1/10. Because I keep pulling reds, and not purples. In that time frame, I've pulled enough LTs to earn enough Shards that I could have champed her, and moved on to another of my 5-star characters with a crummy 5/5/1 build. 

My question to add to the pile would be about special LT stores, release stores, these special ones that come around for costumes, Fan Favorites, etc. Presumably they'd have Shards the same way Latest and Classic Legends tokens?

And then I'd ask about Shards and Limited characters. You said somewhere here if a character could be Favorited they could be Targeted to earn Shards. But what about Limited characters? Theoretically, even if we CAN'T target them for Shards when we open tokens, they could still show up in daily deals or other rewards. Any clarification or insight on that?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    I see that there are no shards awared in Featured Character 1/10/40 packs - does this mean the 1:250 5* hp stores are done?
    The 5-star HP store version isn't over with, there's just not a finalized rewards schedule for a 5-star style Featured Character pack.
  • Double_D_Man
    Double_D_Man Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    @IceIX

Will the increase cost for the daily deals continue to the next day or reset each day?

And if it continues, is that increased price only for the iron man (as per your example) or for the whole 5* tier?
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    I'm glad I didn't blow my hoard yet.  With my tokens and cp right now I would have enough shards earned to get 2.5 five star covers of my choice. 

I've got a few 5 stars stuck at 5/1/5. Looks like I'll get to choose one of them to finish. 
  • IceIX
    JHawkInc said:
    <snip>

My question to add to the pile would be about special LT stores, release stores, these special ones that come around for costumes, Fan Favorites, etc. Presumably they'd have Shards the same way Latest and Classic Legends tokens?

And then I'd ask about Shards and Limited characters. You said somewhere here if a character could be Favorited they could be Targeted to earn Shards. But what about Limited characters? Theoretically, even if we CAN'T target them for Shards when we open tokens, they could still show up in daily deals or other rewards. Any clarification or insight on that?
    No reason those bundles or stores couldn't have Shards, no.

Correct, Limited characters can't currently be targeted for Shards, just like they can't be BHed. But they can certainly pop up elsewhere as rewards or deals or what have you.
  • IceIX
    @IceIX

Will the increase cost for the daily deals continue to the next day or reset each day?

And if it continues, is that increased price only for the iron man (as per your example) or for the whole 5* tier?
    The costs and availability reset each time the store resets and the cost increases are per slot for that reset.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    I imagine this could be good for lower ranking players. Like those ranked 51–100 in CL 9 who don’t earn a Star-Lord cover could earn 200 Star-Lord shards, (or half a SL cover). Since they are intent on making these things character-specific. 

@IceIX,

I know that the “pop-up” CP stores have slowed down exponentially. I really hope these become way more frequent under this new system. I  have several classic 5* characters. I’d love a realistic shot at finishing. With this shard system being at most a SLIGHT improvement over the current system (if rewards are generous), we need some more ways to combat dilution. The problem is still there. And that was a great way for us to make progress on classic 5* characters we otherwise wouldn’t. 
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 497 Mover and Shaker
    Though I'm sad that this is replacing BH instead of Wonder Twin powers activating, put me in the pro camp as I'm anti-RNG. It looks like we'll all be guaranteed equivalent "bonus heroes" without suffering from getting color #5+ yet 
    JHawkInc said:
    ...(shards in the daily deal, plus literally anywhere else they choose to stick shards in the game).
    I can tell you where to stick them...

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    What is the estimated time it would take to get a 5 star cover?  It took me 10 months to pull a single 5 star bonus hero, will this be the same? 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    @IceIX Does a non-limited character need to be in tokens for them to be targeted?
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2019
    What is the estimated time it would take to get a 5 star cover?  It took me 10 months to pull a single 5 star bonus hero, will this be the same? 

However long it takes you to pull 166 Legendary tokens, if they don't add additional sources into the game by then.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2019
    About 167 5* CP/LL pulls.  It just depends on how much CP and LL tokens you earn and how fast.  The other factor will be if you spend HP to buy targeted hero shards and how much you can earn through placement/progression etc. So, really, it probably will be less than 167 pulls but as of right now, that is what we know for certain. 

What we do know is that with the RNG removed, you won't have the miraculous multiple 5* bonus heroes in a short number of pulls or the ridiculous long streaks of no 5* bonus heroes.  I have been the beneficiary and victim of both myself.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards

However long it takes you to pull 166 Legendary tokens, if they don't add addition sources into the game by then.

That's a lot of pulls for one cover..... It should at a minimum be half that. 

I don't know about this.... 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2019

However long it takes you to pull 166 Legendary tokens, if they don't add addition sources into the game by then.

That's a lot of pulls for one cover..... It should at a minimum be half that. 

I don't know about this.... 
    Progression-only pve/575-900 pvp play will get you just over 2x pulls/day, so you'll be getting a 5* Shard hero slightly faster than you'll be earning them from the 90 day daily play cycle with this new system, not inclusive of any supplemental shard economy that gets added. Not sure what a placement-player is pulling down on average per day, feel free to chime in if you're one of those.

It appears that any store you pull from that has 5*s in it adds to your shard-stack, so if you are strictly chasing shard-based acquisition, you could spend LTs in latest and CP in classic and get there at a probably meaningfully faster rate, at the expense of the improved odds you get in Latest.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    @IceIX
    What happens if you set nothing to favorite? with BHs, you currently get a random one any time one would show up. Is there a generic holding pool for shards if you don't have anyone selected?
  • Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 406 Mover and Shaker
    @IceIX
    What happens if you set nothing to favorite? with BHs, you currently get a random one any time one would show up. Is there a generic holding pool for shards if you don't have anyone selected?
    I second this question, but am assuming it’ll go to a random character instead (just like BH currently works).