New Feature in R191: Shards

Comments

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,309 Site Admin
    Omegased said:
    Hey IceIX, if a character I've bonused (or favourited, or whatevs) appears in the daily store, will i get an alert?

Not at launch, but likely later on, yes.
  • nordhofsweden
    nordhofsweden Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    For 5* I quite like the new system, but I dislike it for 4* and especially 3*.

Why do I bh 3*? 
    To get a 4* cover or to get a LL-token. I BH any character that'll get me there, but it'd be foolish to chase shards for more than 1 3* and that in itself is fine, but the probability of me getting that cover in a pack long before I have 300 shards are way too high.

Why do I bh 4*?
    Mostly to champ them (but also or to get a 5* cover). It's kinda risky to target a character you're about to champ. If you get that cover in a pack you'll either "waste" your shards or continue fighting to get it from 270 to 271. (Ok, that means you'll get the LL-token so at least it's not a complete waste.)
    I suppose it's gonna be better to target 4* with a few covers to go before they award you a 5*.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    when this launches, will everyone start with zero shards, or will things i've done in the past x time add shards?

is there any sweet launch freebie?
  • IceIX
    Omegased said:
    when this launches, will everyone start with zero shards, or will things i've done in the past x time add shards?

Everyone starts at zero shards for all characters. Can't comment on a launch reward, but historically we have tended to give out stuff when we add/change a feature.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    As for Targeted Heroes, I find it strange that some are still surprised/disappointed that the concept of "balance" means "give and take". 
    They are taking away something that didn't bother me and effectively charging me for it.  This is not a true improvement to the stated issue, thus, I'm disappointed (but definitely not surprised).  Again, this system does pave a way where they could be generous with the shards elsewhere in the game and make this awesome, but I have no reason to believe that will be the case.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2019
    Just looking at LTs (or classics) it is fewer covers than with BH. 
    With 400 pulls, we can expect 3 BH 5's and 17 BH 4's. 
    Same amount of legendary pulls gives 6000 and 1200 shards, or 15 bonus 4's and 2.4 bonus 5's.

Now, it's true a BH cover could end up unusable, but as someone mentioned already, shards too have a downside of forcing you to commit to a character till the bar is full.

So, at first glance shards could be better than BH early on, before a character is fully covered, though with the lowered overall rate, not sure without more math :) Later on, it's definitely fewer covers overall.

Otoh, they can be bought with HP, which is nice. And can help characters that were not treated kindly by RNG. Without the risk involved with BH in that situation.

@IceIX
    Can we pull from latest and earn shards for say a 0/5/5 5* character stuck in classics? 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards

Actually, that's a pretty important question: can shards even be exchanged for champion levels? The screenshots shown in the initial post just show shards being exchanged to increase the level of a power.

If you can't use shards to gain champ levels, then that neuters one of the other current methods of acquiring 5* covers: bonus a 4* character whose champ rewards give out your chosen 5* character.

• Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    jamesh said:

Actually, that's a pretty important question: can shards even be exchanged for champion levels? The screenshots shown in the initial post just show shards being exchanged to increase the level of a power.

If you can't use shards to gain champ levels, then that neuters one of the other current methods of acquiring 5* covers: bonus a 4* character whose champ rewards give out your chosen 5* character.

If i look at the pics, I'd say yes. Okoye is at lvl 450, with 12/500 towards another champ level.
  • MoonKnight
    MoonKnight Posts: 63 Match Maker
    edited November 2019
    @IceIX
    This may have already been answered, but will these daily shard stores be one time sales, or will they be able to be repeatedly purchased for HP?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    @IceIX
    I may have read it incorrectly, but do you get 3 shards towards a 5* just for pulling a legendary token, or do you get 3 shards for landing a 5* out of a legendary store?
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 764 Critical Contributor
    That looks like a great addition to the game, well done to the team 

looking forward to trying it out 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is the number of times shards can be purchased for each character capped at 3?

• IceIX
    @IceIX
    This may have already been answered, but will these daily shard stores be one time sales, or will they be able to be repeatedly purchased for HP?
    At launch, each set of Shards will be purchaseable from that store 3 times before they're "out" for that rotation.

@IceIX
    I may have read it incorrectly, but do you get 3 shards towards a 5* just for pulling a legendary token, or do you get 3 shards for landing a 5* out of a legendary store?
    3 Shards per pull regardless of what you pull. Same as with a Standard Token. Pull an IM35? 3-star Shards.

nycjonny said:
    IceIX said:
    Omegased said:

Everyone starts at zero shards for all characters. Can't comment on a launch reward, but historically we have tended to give out stuff when we add/change a feature.
    You did say they may come from shield clearance level. And since some of us have been at 200 for well over a year it stands to reason that if shards are given out that way the people stuck at cap should also get compensated. 
    Correct in that there may be retroactive rewards for changes to other systems. The flip from BH to Shards on pulls however, does not have any retro rewards is all.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    For 5* I quite like the new system, but I dislike it for 4* and especially 3*.

Why do I bh 3*? 
    To get a 4* cover or to get a LL-token. I BH any character that'll get me there, but it'd be foolish to chase shards for more than 1 3* and that in itself is fine, but the probability of me getting that cover in a pack long before I have 300 shards are way too high.

Why do I bh 4*?
    Mostly to champ them (but also or to get a 5* cover). It's kinda risky to target a character you're about to champ. If you get that cover in a pack you'll either "waste" your shards or continue fighting to get it from 270 to 271. (Ok, that means you'll get the LL-token so at least it's not a complete waste.)
    I suppose it's gonna be better to target 4* with a few covers to go before they award you a 5*.
    I largely agree with these concerns.  but in actual practice I don’t see it as a problem.  As a high volume wins focused player.  300 shards is not a meaningfully large number.  In actual play i could be wrong, but it won’t feel any slower or faster than it already is.  I.e. if it feels like I can earn 300 shards in 2-3 days then I’ll be fine with progress.

i do agree that high level player frequently change their bh s based on rewards.  So I do think 1/2 progress should transfer over when you change the favorite status.  I personally change bh status based on how close to next lt etc.  as 4* covers drop from events, let’s etc I will reran and resort who is prioritized based on results

i would be annoyed if I had 15 chars with between 200-300 shards

overall I agree that 5* are rare enough that people WANT to see their progress.  But 3* and 4* bh are common enough that people need to immediately use the full cover vs split progress.  I.e. it okay to wait longer for the bh to hit, because people plan around the reward trees in that tier.

personally if I can earn a tier a day, then it’s fine I won’t complain about numbers and 1/2 filled shard meters.  But while I earn a few 4* a week, some players might be 4* a month or longer. 1/2 filled shards will cripple that tier of player.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really hope favorite combos and or tier sort at team select shows up.  Nothing is more annoying when you can t find chars cause you don’t know their buff number