The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 3,352 Chairperson of the Boards
    Went with TA Hulk. Including Ham and Spider-Man 2099:
    19 4*s left to go
    9 of those are fully covered (including Taskmaster)
    5 of those are at 209
    Namor is at 200
    Finally nabbed a blue Profe$$or X, so I don't have to over-grind Honor Among Thieves. NOW I think I can comfortably save up LTs/Iso in time or 5torm to drop out of latest. 
  • Daredevil217Daredevil217 Posts: 2,381 Chairperson of the Boards
    Finally nabbed a blue Profe$$or X, so I don't have to over-grind Honor Among Thieves. NOW I think I can comfortably save up LTs/Iso in time or 5torm to drop out of latest. 
    You say that, but once that hoard gets too big...
    I'm not going to Lie, I haven't been saving lol. Iceman is at 2/3/4 now though, so that's something. Also i finished covering Ronin.
    Champed Drax this morning with 9 saved. He's pretty fun with Okoye/XFDP in simulator. I figured with WCap around, and Iceman, it would be good to have somebody who was doing something with all those micro-CDs playable. 
    Today I pulled another yellow 5torm, bringing her to 452 to match my Ghost Rider (I know, I should quit lol). But I also got lvl 300 for Medusa that came with a bonus level 342 for Chavez. Bolt is now 3/2/1. 

Here is my new experiment: Will I get to a completed Jessica Jones via these last 8 chavez covers directly bonusing her, or will I get to a completed Fi5k by only bonusing Spid3r-Man for 8 more covers? Right now, he's at 218, so I need to completely finish this iteration, and then Max-Champ him 2 more times...it seems like you'd expect it to be Jessica Jones, but i'm not so sure lol...I do have a champion Bag-Man that may toss in a few more Spiders Man occasionally.
    Put it in a couple other threads, but as I continue to pull from Latest like Danger is my middle name, I now have a lvl 454 5torm, a 3/3/4 Iceman, and I got a bonus Okoye this morning that puts her at 6/5/1. I'm trying to decide if I should leave my bonus on her to save time chasing Shuri with 3:1 swaps, or move on to Gladiathor or someone.
    Iceman is up to 4/3/4, Profe$$or X is at 2/0/1. I’m pretty hype for Iceman, but I’m strapped for iso these days.
    Got a green Iceman this morning, sitting on Triple 4s. Feeling pretty good about it at this point, but I kind of wish I'd been sinking this iso into him instead of Rescue now lol.
    Got a green Iceman this morning, sitting on Triple 4s. Feeling pretty good about it at this point, but I kind of wish I'd been sinking this iso into him instead of Rescue now lol.
    Yay! 4/4/4 is one of the best feelings in MPQ. Especially on a character you are actively chasing no less. Congrats! Those green pings hit hard when boosted by Okoye. 
    When you crush them, they hit the enemy team as well - which is why i've been theorycrafting that Iceman/5torm/Okoye is sort of a bootleg version of thorkoye split across three characters instead of just 2. There is a LOT of board shake coming off of Iceman and 5torm, but the general team up drain may undercut it.
    Both Iceman and Storm are unfortunately too slow to stand in for Thor. Even combined in pick-3 they aren’t a replacement for Odinson. 

The beauty of a Thorkoye is that he fuels his two big nukes and Okoye’s yellow passively. While with said yellow, Okoye stays topped off health wise and is able to spam teamup tiles repeatedly to pump up Thor’s powers to huge levels.

Sustainability and speed is what makes Thorkoye what they are and there isn’t a combo in the game like it. 

That said, while slower, there is some synergy between Okoye and Bobby. She creates teamups to boost his cheap powers and to ward off a big hit if needed via his yellow. Her red can be used to remove the champion defender tile if it procs, or to spear a row of countdowns/repeaters for a nice stun/damage combo. Very slow without that passive battery, but I imagine it’s a combo you’ll have a lot of fun with. 
    5torm is the AOE stand-in as well as the AP accelerant in my mind. If you chase the charge tiles, I imagine you can get her black moving quickly, and if you haven’t burned the TU on anyone’s yellow, it doesn’t need much for her active black to go to work. Similarly, her green should give you more control over whatever Bobby is doing at a given time - be it clearing out his yellows or mass destroying the blues. It may not work like that in practice, but I’ll give it a test and see at some point here.
    edited 11 November 2019, 17:25

13th Iceman: achieved. 

So...this is the 3rd 5* I've covered out of latest by pulling as I go, and the 2nd consecutive 5*. Does this mean....success?
    RNG is definitely still gonna RNG - I got exactly 13 covers on Doom, just before he left latest. Then with Rescue I got 13 covers exactly, but it was 5/2/6 so it wasn't in the correct distribution. My Hela went off into the sunset with 5/2/4, Danver5 with a 6/1/3...I need to try and draw some conclusions about the process for this to actually be useful to somebody. I think there was a critical mass of 4* champions that has made it possible also. I currently have 72 4* champs. 

My Profe$$or X is only 2/0/1. I'm trying to decide now if I want to pull for a Carnage just to have one, and then stop till Bobby leaves, or just keep pulling as I go. My 455 (-3) 5torm suggests that champing Bobby this early means he is likely going to be WAY over 450 if I don't wait for him to leave...
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 3,369 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    :lol: well done. I think you've proven that it can be done. However, it's possible to be a bit unlucky with the pulls too, like how my Hela got stuck at 2/4/9. My Prof is already 1/3/6 and I'm worried he might follow Hela.
    I managed to pull it out on Prof, despite hitting 2/4/5, but my Iceman is at 1/5/2, and I'm getting concerned about how much Carbage I'm going to have to eat to get there. 5torm is already like 8 levels above my next-highest 5, so I'm a bit wary of pulling any more Latest until she leaves.
    OJSP said:
    Having Iceman at higher level is not a bad thing. Pair him with Bishop and laugh at all the stunned enemies (except SS and maybe Doc Ock sometimes)
    I’m actually thinking about running him in between Hawkeye and WCap when I can. That seems a very ridiculous team to me.
    New experiment ideas, in the face of the new Shard system:

We could probably do a little hypothetical math and predict it here with pull rates etc, but: How do shards impact the need to ONLY pull out of latest vs pulling cp in classic and LTs in latest? Do I earn enough CP to stay current on Latest while steadily accruing organic pulls out of classic by sharding whoever is next out of Latest?

I'm tempted to try this on Profe$$or X since I have a 2/0/1 on him.
    I just track raw pulls, I don't distinguish where it comes from (LT/CP). I don't really want to pull the trigger on splitting pulls, But what I'd do is: favorite whatever 5* in Latest was leaving next, pull every token I get as I get it, cp in classic, and then see how possible it is to use that enhanced pulls/day rate to cover the latests while building my Classic roster up through pure RNG/4* feeder targeting. 
    edited 13 November 2019, 21:08
    That was kind of my plan. I'm not hyper stoked for Carnage - he seems awful and has 100% overlap with my Ghost Rider on colors. I definitely don't want to miss out on X though - he seems legit good. But since I have unusably bad Gladiathor and Kitty, and I have a feedable (but unfed) Gambit (to use with 5torm), I now have some more predictable options for bonusing to explore compared to the current BH system. So puling out of Classic to enhance my older roster kind of makes sense to me.