New Feature Coming - Targeting Heroes

Comments

• Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2019
    They should have just sucked it up and gave us a feeder, which was pretty much the main complaint of the entire "anniversary." 

An announcement for an announcement that is weeks away is obviously fooolish.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Like how difficult would it have been to just give us all the details from the start? Now people are debating over the meaning of a couple. 
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I _love_ that the lack of communication and our hunger for information has reduced us to a debate on what a "couple" means...
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,650 Chairperson of the Boards
    shardwick said:
    Like how difficult would it have been to just give us all the details from the start? Now people are debating over the meaning of a couple. 
    The definition of couple or few is not really open for debate. It simply is what it is. It's not a debate to give a definition for a word. 

That said it could of been nice to have more info up front. However we didnt get more info up front. It's not the end of the world if we do not have all the information on how something will work in advance.

Many competitive video games do this. They tease upcoming features or changes but do not give out specific details in advance.

I think some people are antsy because it may be tied to opening tokens. So they decided to hoard until this goes live so they have a head start. For me I just continue to play how I play and when a new feature is in the game i decide if i need to alter my gameplay or not. 

• Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2019
    Problem with the word "couple of" is that it has become an idiom slang term. This isn't a grammar 101 class, so I'm not surprised the phrase was thrown out without thought that people might take it literally.

This pre-pre-announcement just should have not been made, especially under the guise of extending the anniversary celebration. It's just has done more harm than good when the effect is that we're left for weeks building up expectations and theories for something that will, without a doubt, measure up to the actual product. 
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker

We've how many posts and pages for this teaser news?  Every post should have simply been something akin to "Yay!  Can't wait!  Wonder what exactly it'll be? <insert guess including human sacrifices>".

I've time enough to finish off a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches before any real news is released.

• IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    tiomono said:
    tiomono said:
    Few does not mean 2. It means more than one and less than a lot.
    Stop putting specific expectations on things when we were not given specific timing for more information.

If you had a wait of 52 weeks and had like 6 weeks left it could be appropriate to describe the wait as a few weeks when looking at the total time.
    He also said couple, which means "2".
    Or it could mean an indefinite small number. You are sick and hope to be better in a couple days.

I'm just saying when we put a strict timeline to statements that are not strictly laid out you will frustrate yourself.
    cou·ple
    /ˈkəpəl/
    noun
    1. 1.
      two individuals of the same sort considered together.
      "a couple of girls were playing marbles"
      Similar:
      pair
      duo
      duology
      twosome
      set of two
      match
      doublets
      twins
      brace
      span
      yoke
      two
      two of a kind
      duplet
      dyad
      duad
      doubleton
      twain
    2. 2.
      two people who are married, engaged, or otherwise closely associated romantically or sexually.
      Similar:
      husband and wife
      twosome
      newlyweds
      partners
      lovers
      cohabitees

So, I get where you're coming from, but couple actually doesn't mean "indefinite small number". Some people use it that way, and I get that, but that's not what it means. Probably just part of being a southerner, but we really differentiate hard on "couple" vs "several" vs "a li'l" vs "a few". Except when I've been traveling to other regions of the US, I've only ever heard couple mean "two, precisely".
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Couple - 2
    Few - 3, 4
    Several - 5, 6, 7

You could maybe stretch several into 8, but generally that’s how it goes.

Either way, I bet we’ll see a few more details next week, with implementation in December. I decided to not fret about any of it. Not worth the time or energy.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    My guess (hope?) is they realize just how important this feature will be in keeping a lot of vets that are on the fence about quitting, so they are taking their time before releasing any info they may later regret.  But they wanted to get that initial word out before too many were so bummed out by the anniversary/no feeder stuff and just bailed.
  • tiomono
    tiomono said:
    tiomono said:
    Stop putting specific expectations on things when we were not given specific timing for more information.

If you had a wait of 52 weeks and had like 6 weeks left it could be appropriate to describe the wait as a few weeks when looking at the total time.
    Or it could mean an indefinite small number. You are sick and hope to be better in a couple days.

I'm just saying when we put a strict timeline to statements that are not strictly laid out you will frustrate yourself.
    cou·ple
    /ˈkəpəl/
    noun
    1. 1.
      Similar:
      pair
      duo
      duology
      twosome
      set of two
      match
      doublets
      twins
      brace
      span
      yoke
      two
      two of a kind
      duplet
      dyad
      duad
      doubleton
      twain
    2. 2.
      two people who are married, engaged, or otherwise closely associated romantically or sexually.
      Similar:
      husband and wife
      twosome
      newlyweds
      partners
      lovers
      cohabitees

So, I get where you're coming from, but couple actually doesn't mean "indefinite small number". Some people use it that way, and I get that, but that's not what it means. Probably just part of being a southerner, but we really differentiate hard on "couple" vs "several" vs "a li'l" vs "a few". Except when I've been traveling to other regions of the US, I've only ever heard couple mean "two, precisely".
    Definition 3 according to google

INFORMAL
    an indefinite small number.
    "he hoped she'd be better in a couple of days"
  • JDFiend
    JDFiend Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    tiomono said:
    tiomono said:

cou·ple
    /ˈkəpəl/
    noun
    1. 1.
      Similar:
      pair
      duo
      duology
      twosome
      set of two
      match
      doublets
      twins
      brace
      span
      yoke
      two
      two of a kind
      duplet
      dyad
      duad
      doubleton
      twain
    2. 2.
      Similar:
      husband and wife
      twosome
      newlyweds
      partners
      lovers
      cohabitees

The defintion shifts between dictionaries. Some including the indefinite period as an informal use. 

The problem with language is it is fluid. Meaning is not derived from the word alone, but the context surrounding it. It is interpretive, not concrete. 

Saying 'Morning' to the receptionist as you walk into work would have a totally different meaning than parent saying it to a teenager as they staggering into the house drunk in the middle of the night. A boss saying it was to a late employee could be interpreted as passive aggressive aggressive. Changing the context, you could change the meaning behind that word in hundreds of ways. But the dictionary definition would never change.

Dictionaries basically suck, as they don't reflect everyday language use. They are more to help you figure out the meaning, given the context rather than provide a concrete interpretation. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,124 Chairperson of the Boards
    I always tell people using definition 3 or 4 of a word they’d do better with a synonym that had a primary or secondary meaning closer to what you’re after, but again that’s just me.
  • tiomono
    I always tell people using definition 3 or 4 of a word they’d do better with a synonym that had a primary or secondary meaning closer to what you’re after, but again that’s just me.
    English certainly has no shortage of words to describe similar things.

I would like news on this soon though. Even if it does turn out to be a dud feature, at least they are acknowledging dillution is an issue and are trying to come up with new ways to handle it.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think some need to accept that the world is not shaded in only black and white. Uncertainties and changes are constant. No plan survives contact with the enemies. No one lives a life where they get information of what's going to happen in the future very single time. When uncertainty meets you face to face, this is when your past experiences, observations and gut instincts come in to fill the gap. If your gut instinct is to hoard, then hoard. If you are wrong about it, so what? If there's no way to know what's going to happen in advance, simply adapt and react accordingly when things happen.

And remember, "Valve time": Things don't always go as planned.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    If a couple can mean three, can a thruple mean two?
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Whenever I see a group of people I always tell them that they make a cute couple. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    @IceIX yo, we are currently debating the phrase couple.  Just a small nugget would help so we can latch on to that word and debate it until more comes out. 

Only you can stop this insanity....please?  Even a Friday news dump would be great. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,549 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    How much is a small nugget?

This reminds me that I need to catch up with the new season of Gold Rush. I thought I had a couple of episodes to watch but reading this thread I'm now not so sure.
  • JDFiend
    JDFiend Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2019
    shardwick said:
    Whenever I see a group of people I always tell them that they make a cute couple. 
    Interestingly, that sense of the word comes from the Latin 'Coupla' which means link / connect. 

It's why you can couple cables together.

It's also why couple is synonym for intercourse.

So, couple in that sense is used to signal the relationship or connection between each other.

When you say they are a cute couple, are you really saying they are a cute two? Or that they are cute together?

They are a happily married couple. 
    They are a happily married two.
    They are in a happy relationship. 

Kind of interesting how meaning slips, isn't it?

Edit: just in case your interested - it is mostly due to the change in word class. A cute couple is a noun. In a couple of weeks is an adjective. Your using it to quantify the noun weeks.

Changes the meaning.