New Feature Coming - Targeting Heroes

Comments

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,908 Chairperson of the Boards
    ***Mod note: Please keep the thread on topic. Thank you!
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    jp1 said:
    I’m talking practicality here, not what’s right or wrong. 

If people want to prevent this type of communication in the future then negative backlash is a sure fire way to accomplish that. 

Sure you can scream about the breadcrumbs not being a sandwich, do you think you will get the sandwich or they will quit throwing the crumbs? Hedge your bets wisely.

I am as frustrated as anyone about lack of communication. The fact is it’s entirely in their hands how to respond, it’s easier to spin a meeting in your favor with “look at how they respond when we give them something” than it is to say “I abandoned the thread for two weeks and people got upset”. Which seems more likely? 

Anyway, it’s not a hill I’m ready to die on. Folks will do what they will do.
    I’m sorry but no... just no. 

If you give me nothing or feed me breadcrumbs, either way it’s still considered neglect. I’ll still starve. 

This company used to be really great at communication. They had developers answering questions, posting videos and being a real part of the community. Now even basic information has dried up (preview thread?  Anniversary??). 

I’m under no illusion that I can control the actions of others. I’m assuming this development team is one comprised of fully grown adults. If they are honestly going to withhold good customer service because we complain, then that is an issue with the company, not the players. This type of thought process (“keep quiet and eat your crumbs”) is one that breeds VERY dysfunctional relationship dynamics. And while I’m aware this is just a video game, you definitely touched a nerve as this is something I will call out whenever I see it. People should not be afraid to speak their mind or ask for what they want, especially given the communication lately (this is why I appreciate @The rockett). If the players are out of line or have done something “wrong” that’s one thing, but complaining doesn’t even come close to a punishable offense, especially when it comes to customer service. It sort of comes with the gig. 

This announcement that an announcement is coming was VERY likely a tacked on “addition” to anniversary due in large part to the overwhelmingly negative feedback that they received from said anniversary. Also, according to other posters in this thread, this information was already out in the ether, so there is a benefit to getting ahead of it. One tiny teaser after anniversary has ended, and then crickets, not just about this feature, but about really anything else, isn’t okay with me.

You can also hold both good and bad simultaneously. This small nugget of info is appreciated AND communication overall has been awful. Both can be true. 
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    The last sentence of my post was directed toward the forumites not the Devs. 

With that in mind, your post is on a different level of intensity than I’m currently trying to debate. Anyway, for the most part I agree with you.

Practicality was the other important note for context. Look, I’m no apologist for the shortcomings of the way we get communications on this forum, or anything dealing with the game...just check my post history. I just happen to believe they will be more likely to avoid the issue in the future than to fix it. Maturity of said decision is obvious, but isn’t indicative of what we have seen recently.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    jp1 said:
    Sure, I understand being frustrated. I agree an update is warranted, but it is possible that during development there were some unforeseen challenges, something came up in QA, final approval is sitting on someone’s desk who is out for vacation, etc... 

They might not have an answer is my point. I’m just saying if they get backlash when they listen to ya and offer some communication history seems to indicate they will just stop altogether, not pop in and offer additional info as requested.

Also, to be fair they have already indicated the timeline was not specific. I’m not trying to invalidate anyone’s feelings of frustration here, I have them too...I just think we need to temper our expectations a little.
    They never have gotten backlash when they were talking.
    Never.

The backlash always starts happening when they STOP communicating.
    "Your supposed to lose" was communication.

Never say never.

Side note on grilled cheese, YouTube Elmer fudd grilled cheese.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 497 Mover and Shaker
    tiomono said:
    Bowgentle said:
    jp1 said:
    Sure, I understand being frustrated. I agree an update is warranted, but it is possible that during development there were some unforeseen challenges, something came up in QA, final approval is sitting on someone’s desk who is out for vacation, etc... 

They might not have an answer is my point. I’m just saying if they get backlash when they listen to ya and offer some communication history seems to indicate they will just stop altogether, not pop in and offer additional info as requested.

Also, to be fair they have already indicated the timeline was not specific. I’m not trying to invalidate anyone’s feelings of frustration here, I have them too...I just think we need to temper our expectations a little.
    Never.

Never say never.

If they had communicated "you're supposed to lose" prior to everyone losing, then the forums might have had a bit less vitriol when the bloodbath commenced.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,908 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    Mod note Part 2: Since it seems some people are still keen to talk about the awesomeness of grilled cheese sandwiches, I have created a discussion thread here. Please keep this thread on topic. Thank you.
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    tiomono said:
    Bowgentle said:
    jp1 said:

Never.

Never say never.

If they had communicated "you're supposed to lose" prior to everyone losing, then the forums might have had a bit less vitriol when the bloodbath commenced.
    What is "supposed to lose" in reference to?
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 497 Mover and Shaker
    tiomono said:
    Bowgentle said:
    jp1 said:

Never.

Never say never.

What is "supposed to lose" in reference to?

The very first time the MPQ player base encountered Galactus, we lost.  We lost hard.  If they had told us ahead of time what to expect, then our expectations would have been tempered appropriately (or closer to appropriate levels).  This advance announcement of an upcoming announcement with no further follow up feels familiar. 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/33616/on-galactus-run-1-game-feel-vs-ultron/p1

3rd Paragraph from IceIX:

Galactus is different. The "minion" fights against the villains are relatively simple. They're there as minor hazards but relatively easily winnable. Galactus on the other hand is a massive threat. He's not going to be stopped by gnats. Iron Fist punching him in the toe isn't very painful. So he gets bored and swats them away. In game terms, this means that players are going to be beaten. Winning a round against Galactus is an achievement. You're supposed to lose. Every time you do, you're still chipping away at his life. It's an exercise in damage in aggregate. Over the 3.5 days, hitting him over and over to finally bring down the big bad is somewhat slow, but certainly effective.

• Aldaen
    Aldaen Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    I'm going to get to the real reason why I want to know more about this feature ASAP, and I'm guessing it's the same for some others...

It's because this announcement makes me want to horde everything until I know more.  Since the shards feature might reward us for opening covers, I have started holding onto all of my tokens  (standard, elite, heroic, LL).  LL hording is status quo for me and others, but this game is less fun when you're opening less tokens, and fatigue soon sets in.  It is especially painful when you don't know if you're even hording every token for a good reason. This leads to dissatisfaction with playing the game overall.

So it is in everybody's best interest (devs and players) if they would give us some details on this new feature ASAP.  At the very least, it would be good to know if there is any value in holding onto lower-end tokens.
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Hoard no matter what. Don’t play like me and open everything. Haha.

I just hope it retroactively takes into account past transgressions like SCL did. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think there's a difference between communicating with a purpose and communicating just to pander to players' every whims. 

The fact is, no matter how much they pre-empt what's going to happen and what's not going to happen, some will still ignore what they have said and continue to fill this place with conspiracy theories. 

The weird thing is, they have set the expectations when they answered the Q&As about communication last year. As a matter of fact, the answer they gave is similar to the answer they gave 3 or 4 years ago. They have set expectations (kind of) about this feature as well.

Unfortunately, some will still continue to make use of this "announced silence" to further conspiracies and create unnecessary negativities among the community. I'm baffled. What's the point of doing these and what do you get in the end? How often has this worked over the past few years? How has boasting about how you are smarter, better, more talented than the dev teams help make this forum a better place?
    Note: You" doesn't refer to all players.

What I understand based on whatever was communicated is this: The timeline for this new feature is between *11/18 and 31/12. 

*I saw this either in here or Reddit. It was something along the line of the feature won't be out before 11/18.

Patience.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ice literally said on the first page of this thread that we would know more about how the feature worked in a couple weeks. It's been a couple weeks now. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that they would be providing more details this week.
  • tiomono
    edited October 2019
    shardwick said:
    Ice literally said on the first page of this thread that we would know more about how the feature worked in a couple weeks. It's been a couple weeks now. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that they would be providing more details this week.
    Technically he said in the coming weeks. Not couple.

Edit: nvm I see him saying couple. :)
  • Aldaen
    edited October 2019
    IceIX said:
    chrisH said:
    Can you give some details on what counts as progress towards your target hero cover? Opening tokens, placement in events ect?
    Those kind of details will be coming out in the next couple weeks, yes.
    For reference above.  Hopefully we get word today (been 2 weeks since that was posted), but Friday is still a reasonable interpretation of "next couple weeks".  Anything after that would be a poor job of setting expectations.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I want to make a distinction between 2, and more than that, but less than a lot, i'll use the word "few" myself.
  • Aldaen
    edited October 2019
    When I want to make a distinction between 2, and more than that, but less than a lot, i'll use the word "few" myself.
    Yes, that is considered proper use of few.  Not so important a distinction when you're talking with friends, but when communicating with customers and setting expectations, you don't want to use "couple" when you really mean "few"
  • tiomono
    Few does not mean 2. It means more than one and less than a lot.
    Stop putting specific expectations on things when we were not given specific timing for more information.

If you had a wait of 52 weeks and had like 6 weeks left it could be appropriate to describe the wait as a few weeks when looking at the total time.
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    tiomono said:
    Stop putting specific expectations on things when we were not given specific timing for more information.

If you had a wait of 52 weeks and had like 6 weeks left it could be appropriate to describe the wait as a few weeks when looking at the total time.
    He also said couple, which means "2".
  • tiomono
    tiomono said:

He also said couple, which means "2".
    Or it could mean an indefinite small number. You are sick and hope to be better in a couple days.

I'm just saying when we put a strict timeline to statements that are not strictly laid out you will frustrate yourself.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    If the date I saw is accurate - no sooner than 11/18 - then it doesn't matter much if we get news today or even next week, since it'll be a long time before it matters.

And this feature could well launch in December given the Thanksgiving holiday.