Kitty Pryde's Circuit Breaker. Broken, or working as intended?

Options
JSP869
JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
At the start of her turn, if one does not exist and enemy Strike, Attack, or Protect tiles are on the board, create a 1-turn Fortified Purple Repeater tile that will replace an enemy Strike, Attack, or Protect tile. If no enemy Strike, Attack, or Protect tiles are on the board, this tile destroys itself and deals 11745 damage.
This is the wording of Circuit Breaker for the Kitty Pryde I fought in Cage's PvP.

While this does not appear to be an If/Then/Else power, this was my understanding of how it would work. Instead, the two sentences appear to operate as independent operations.

And so at the start of the AI's turn, Circuit Breaker replaced my Cage's Protect tile, then, with no enemy Strike, Attack or Protect tiles on the board-because Circuit Breaker had just overwritten my one Protect tile-the Circuit Breaker tile destroyed itself and dealt damage.

This does not seem right to me.

I realize this does not read as an If/Then/Else situation, but it still seems broken to me because the way I read it, the first words of the first sentence "At the start of her turn..." are implied as to apply to the second sentence as well, and so this should be an If/Then/Else power.

If this is working as intended, "Then, " should be added to the start of the second sentence.

Comments

• Freelancer
    Freelancer Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    From my experience, the tile destroying itself isn't limited to the start of a turn. I'm pretty sure I've had it fire its damage after making a match-5 that has taken out the last special and a match-5 that has killed the owner of the last countdown. This may be a bug though as it often ends up with the other team all dead and I have to still make another match to end the game...
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    Options
    It checks the second sentence every time the board is settled on your Turn. It's not worded as well as it could be, but, to me, putting the second part in a separate sentence feels like enough to differentiate it as a distinct event from the "Start of Turn" part in the first sentence.
    It was confirmed during her release that this is, in fact, the intended functionality. That said, the bit Freelancer mentions, with the fight failing to end after it takes out the last enemy, is a known bug. There's a thread about it somewhere.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thanks Alexis. That's pretty OP in a PvP match against someone like Cage or Iron Fist, or even Medusa's Entangled...Oh. If Circuit Breaker overwrites Medusa's Entangled tile, does that count as it being destroyed? Would it spawn Attack tiles?

I seem to recall there's some inconsistencies with special tiles, like Entangled & others, reacting differently to being overwritten.

In some cases overwriting a tile counts as destroying it, with any effects from that tile being destroyed resolving as normal, but with other tiles it's not considered "destroyed".
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JSP869 said:
    Thanks Alexis. That's pretty OP in a PvP match against someone like Cage or Iron Fist, or even Medusa's Entangled...Oh. If Circuit Breaker overwrites Medusa's Entangled tile, does that count as it being destroyed? Would it spawn Attack tiles?

I seem to recall there's some inconsistencies with special tiles, like Entangled & others, reacting differently to being overwritten.

In some cases overwriting a tile counts as destroying it, with any effects from that tile being destroyed resolving as normal, but with other tiles it's not considered "destroyed".
    No, Circuit Breaker doesn't count as Destroying the tile. It's one of the few ways to get rid of Entanglement or Baby Groot and his bomb without consequences. And yeah, it's absolutely brutal against teams with a single Character who generates a Special tile every Turn. Teams with SWitch or Valkyrie can also get hit hard by it. Okoye/Medusa is pretty popular, but they're just a huge target for Kitty.
    It's relatively easy to work around on offense, tho. If you're required to bring one of those Characters, bring two of them. I regularly use Kitty/Medusa/Valkyrie to demolish other Kitty teams.
  • DevilutionX
    DevilutionX Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Kitty is OP no matter what, especially when a championed kitty w/ 4grocket is all it will match me against. I have no championed 5*s, let alone KP.