*** Psylocke (Classic) ***

Comments

• I thought it's any red strike tile?
    so with both patch and psylocke its 2 people down for the cost of 20 red instead of 28 since you can cast bti n get 2 tiles then get a reduced 6 red cast for the last one, before swiping a match to finish him off(hopefully with OBW for double dipping, triple if you get a black punch tile off 1st).
  • Jeremychen wrote:
    I thought it's any red strike tile?
    so with both patch and psylocke its 2 people down for the cost of 20 red instead of 28 since you can cast bti n get 2 tiles then get a reduced 6 red cast for the last one, before swiping a match to finish him off(hopefully with OBW for double dipping, triple if you get a black punch tile off 1st).

Yes but it takes 14 red for Patch to create red strikes tiles too so that's barely faster than Psylocke creating 2 red strike tiles for 15 red AP.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    @Phantron
    also, before you compare 2x Patch Red (28 ap) vs 4x Psylocke red (26) you have to realize the strike tile damage in between. By 8 red, Psylocke will already be dealing extra damage from the strike tile cast out, while Patch is still matching for 14 ap-- there's a lot of hidden damage in there. And yeah, after 14 ap Patch will have 2 red strike tiles out, but he's going to have to build another 14 red ap, and in that time 2 more 3 more Psylock Reds go off, each adding more strike tiles, and each red ability triggering the strike tile damage.

So sure, 2x patch red will likely down two targets, but 4x Psylocke red might as well. And remember, each time Psylocke uses red she applies the strike tile damage on top too. Finally, now that 2 people are dead against patch, he's gonna need another 14 to finish off the third guy, while Psylocke can use 3x 5ap red to deal with her enemies.
    Remember, Patch can potentially overkill, so that is really "lost damage".
  • My plan is for a 4/5/4 build.

Both Red and Black just get bigger at higher levels. Blue is the only ability Psyke has that functionally changes at a higher level.

I tend to be a doubter, anyway. I figure there must be a reason the devs tapped blue with some NonExpandingRubberFoam-type blunt object. Ima find out.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the AP steal of blue is pretty obvious if you look past the present. As is no her blue makes no sense. But...if they begin to slow the game up, giving more characters with skills like Ares, or Hulk, or Classic Storm, etc where you hold onto as much AP as possible, then it begins to make sense. I have ares with 19 AP in green, oh ****, that timer just went off. That's what it is there for. I think this skill is going to be more valuable as we move foward. The other thing is, look at what that countdown timer is. That's an oh ****, I have to kill Psylocke or that CD timer otherwise it's going to hurt. Does this fit her character/
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    I'm guessing her blue was nerfed because of snipers that sit on 30 green ap after a few turns...
  • I wish my Psylocke were high level so I could try her with Daken and Ares. I think they would be a very formidable team on defense. If Daken's ability triggers and add 2 strike tiles, you immediately have 3 damage abilities of different colors that cost only 6AP. It is almost impossible to prevent them from firing. Has anyone tried that combo to tell us if it is decent enough to justify leveling her high?
  • I've gotten to use her a little bit now, and it sure seems like the some of the doubters are correct. Her blue ability steals 'dead' AP about 90% of the time. It almost never gets anything for which the other team has a use for. You have to be sure that your team WILL have a use for it. Black is obviously a good one that you can get a lot which she can use herself. But there is also a pretty good chance you will end up with purple. Stealing a bunch of purple that neither I nor my opponent can use isn't very sexy.
  • Has anyone found a good use/team for this character yet?? Mine is at level 89, and even while she was buffed she was hardcore underwhelming.
  • Has anyone found a good use/team for this character yet?? Mine is at level 89, and even while she was buffed she was hardcore underwhelming.

Right now I use her with some combination of Ares/Patch + OBW/Spidey; she's not underwhelming at all. She needs a rainbow team to be more effective than Punisher, otherwise you're giving up a damage ability for nothing.

I'm looking forward to using her with 3* Thor.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    dlaw008 wrote:
    I've gotten to use her a little bit now, and it sure seems like the some of the doubters are correct. Her blue ability steals 'dead' AP about 90% of the time. It almost never gets anything for which the other team has a use for. You have to be sure that your team WILL have a use for it. Black is obviously a good one that you can get a lot which she can use herself. But there is also a pretty good chance you will end up with purple. Stealing a bunch of purple that neither I nor my opponent can use isn't very sexy.

Pair her with gsbw + hood: that lump of yellow or purple just won you the game
  • Does anyone else just love Psylocke? I get that she isn't as fast as people think, but I think believe she has more utility value than punisher... I have been playing around with her and a lot of other character combos and she just seems to fit well with any team... Psylocke+Daken+OBW is tons of fun
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    I quite like Psylocke but unfortunately her blue is very very random and she doesn't do anything to the board unlike Punisher with his green.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does anyone else just love Psylocke? I get that she isn't as fast as people think, but I think believe she has more utility value than punisher... I have been playing around with her and a lot of other character combos and she just seems to fit well with any team... Psylocke+Daken+OBW is tons of fun

I don't see how Punisher would be any different in terms of diverse team comps: Punisher/Daken/OBW sounds even better since you cover more of the color pie that way (Psylocke covers black/red with blue conflicting with OBW, Punisher covers green/black/red).
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does anyone else just love Psylocke? I get that she isn't as fast as people think, but I think believe she has more utility value than punisher... I have been playing around with her and a lot of other character combos and she just seems to fit well with any team... Psylocke+Daken+OBW is tons of fun

I'm not sure about more utility. Punisher is a one man army that doesn't need any team, he is self sufficient, much like his character, he has 3 very viable abilities, Psylocke, well she's a little lacking in the 3rd skill. Her blue is unreliable, now her red is very good, and I got smoked by a Psylocke black ability, so I see her power, she just doesn't bring all to the table, but if you are having fun with her and doing well, awesome, and Daken with her is a very good combo.
  • I'm currently messing around with L53 5/3/5 Psylocke, L53 4/4/5 Ares, and L53 3/5/5 OBW and it's friggin' awesome. This'll likely be what I stick with until I get some other maxed ***s as I'm murdering things left and right.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I think people are lured by the red's deceptively cheap cost. To start 'spamming' it at 5 red AP you'd need 26 red AP (8+7+6+5) by the time you actually got the 'cheap' red. For 28 AP, Patch will show you 2 dead guys in PvP and even in PvE, most level 230 guys will go down to two of his reds. Sure you'd have about 300 damage worth of strike tiles on your side but that's actually not that significant against level 230 guys, not to mention Patch can show you how to get big strike tiles too for considerably cheaper.

If you go 5r you got to pair her up with someone else who can generate red strike tiles, which is either Daken or Wolverine 2*. That might be good for some PvE event where one of those two characters are buffed, but it's going to be problematic in PvP.

That said she's still hard to figure out a good build, because 4 in red is probably ideal, but then you end up with most likely 4/4/5 which doesn't make much sense either (the 4th point in Bewilderment is basically useless), but 5/3/5 barely makes more sense.

No you don't need 26 red. As any decent psylocke user knows, you NEVER use that skill until you get three two or three strike tiles out. So it's a s fast as six green later for 2 star wolvie.
  • I think Psylock is great as a standalone character but other then Wolverine or Daken Im hard pressed to find people to combo her with. The obvious strategy is to build up strike tiles to increase the damage tiles left by Psi-Katana. I think people are really overlooking Bewilder though. How often do you fight a team that actually uses their Black AP/uses it quickly? Id say 90% of the time with Bewilder Im stealing Black AP the enemy had to match/got through cascades or whatnot, instantly giving me 2 Psi-Katanas I can fire off. The 3 turn wait kinda sucks but sometimes you can predict and launch it early to nab AP before the opponent can fire anything off
  • Currently using Psylocke with Ares in the simulator and apart from having great rainbow coverage (exc purple), it's hilarious when you pull off their Onslaught / Bewilder combo. You give them green by Onslaught and steal it all again with Psylocke. Esp in the desert env.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have used her in the last event where she was buffed with CMags and Patch and they played together really well (she tanked almost all damage done to CMags). I still think Punisher is better, but I love the damage red and black does before putting strike/attack tiles. If this damage were a little bit higher in the 1200- 1500 range she would be a really good character.