Roster help for rookie

Comments

• Beerman63
    Beerman63 Posts: 69 Match Maker
    edited July 2019
    Thx guys, as always, very helpful. I did assume already that most 1 cover 4*s don't make a big different (except for Ghost, Miles and Invisible Woman where I go the "invisible" cover), but I am already trying to focus on how they can help me in the future. Like, I was so lucky to get 3 covers for 4* Carol in a short time, then she featured in an alliance event, and now I have her with 5 black covers (and one saved already...) and 2 yellow, so she's extremly helpful already. Still hoping for that 1000 HP from DDQ every day to get more 4*s in :) 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think some of it also just comes down to doing what you wanna do. For instance - during the X celebration we are having I decided that I would finally champ Nightcrawler - I had 6 covers saved and a 2/5/5 build and so could trade in 5 for the purple I needed and still have one cover over to nab an LT. A lot of players will recoil in horror at this terrible use of resources but I don't care - Nightcrawler's purple is lots of fun and I Bamfed around causing cascades and gathering AP to NC's full potential!

So literally - if any of the powers just seem like they might be fun to use that is as good a reason to keep them as any other mentioned.
  • DAZ0273
    Beerman63 said:
    Thx guys, as always, very helpful. I did assume already that most 1 cover 4*s don't make a big different (except for Ghost, Miles and Invisible Woman where I go the "invisible" cover), but I am already trying to focus on how they can help me in the future. Like, I was so lucky to get 3 covers for 4* Carol in a short time, then she featured in an alliance event, and now I have her with 5 black covers (and one saved already...) and 2 yellow, so she's extremly helpful already. Still hoping for that 1000 HP from DDQ every day to get more 4*s in :) 
    Riri is a character that will help you. You can run her with several 3* and she can interact with them in good ways that help you win, her red is also very useful against characters who jump to the front like Rogue and Thing as you can hit behind them. It is win win to roster her IMO.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree, Riri is by far the "best" addition to your roster from those 3. 
  • Beerman63
    Another question: Is there a file or a thread somewhere, where you see which 3*s feed which 4* and so on? That's also helping in deciding which 4* to keep.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited July 2019
    I have to google it every time I forget, but yes there is a feeder chart someplace. Rogue was the most recent 4* to get a 3* feeder (Gambit), and there are still a few who have 2 feeders for some reason.

4* Lord has both Gamora and 3* Lord, Elektr4 has both Dar3devil and 3lektra. I feel like X23 or maybe XFW also has a pair.

Many of the post-rogue releases are worth chasing to completion though, so I wouldn't exclusively use that as a razor to cut them from your roster. But its true you'll be seeing more of the fed characters organically than the unfed ones. But RNG is weird; I'm on day 1272, with 60 4* champions, and I'm still force-feeding a 3* Rocket so that I can get that final cover I need to finish Drax. After that, I'll be down to just the post-Bishop and limited releases that need covers at the 4* tier.
  • Beerman63
    Thank you so much, that's exactly what I needed :)
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2019

Beerman63 said:
    Another question: Is there a file or a thread somewhere, where you see which 3*s feed which 4* and so on? That's also helping in deciding which 4* to keep. 
     Even easier, in gamependium click on characters tab then click on champion rewards tab.  I sometimes forget it's there too.
  • Beerman63
    Which teams would you recommend for Molten and Hydro-Man?
    Currently I am playing (both) with  Strange, IM40 and 3* Cap, but I am wondering as to whether Strange is really a good choice in the higher levels. IM40 is set I guess as he's boosted and the battery. Cap is useful cause his red & blue can overwrite special tiles... So basically I am searching for the perfect 3rd guy/ Gal ;) 
    I got all 3*s champed besides Squirell Girl, and a well covered 4* Capt. Marvel (5 black covers, not sure if she's helpful). Rest of my 4*s are low covered...
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2019
    Blade, maybe? No real synergy, but he rounds out the colours nicely, his special tiles can add up to a lot of damage surprisingly quickly, and AP steal rarely goes wrong.
    4 black covers on C4rol is good, but you really want that fifth one before she becomes great. Her health is probably also pretty low, given that power they both have that hits the lowest-level character.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited September 2019
    I like IM40/Patch/Hawk3y3 myself. You should have plenty of AP to perform nonsense with a little board shake and a pair of characters with a true heal. The trick to Patch is firing his green when you have enough available free green tiles to get your own strikes, and either having matchable or few purple tiles around for opposing strikes so you can clean them quickly for the Hawkeye AP generation.

to tag on to that Blad3 recommendation, he goes well with Falcon and Switch
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    For both, focus on characters that can make good use of the colors you want to deny. So for Molten Man, that will be Yellow and Red. Healing helps too because if you can’t nuke him hard enough or match them away, you’ll need to wait for his CDs to expire and heal him before taking him out.
  • Beerman63
    As there were so many limited characters the last couple of days, which of them are actually worth keeping? I currently have some covers of Dinosaur, Taskmaster and Howard the Duck.
    Not sure if I'm missing anything, but Dinosaur doesn't really seem any special to me, so I don't see any use in keeping him. Taskmaster looks cool, but I'm not sure how good he really is. Besides, I wonder where and how I will be able to get more covers for him...
    Howard the Duck has the invisibility ability, which makes him interesting, but I wonder if he's worth a roster slot.
    So, from my opinion there are better ways and 4*s to roster than these guys, how do you see it?
    Btw, I was really lucky in getting the 2900 Hero Points from the Anniversary vault, that was really one of the best moments for me :smile: 3 Roster slots as a present, I like that. Now I got around 50 4*s rostered, which I think is quite a good performance for a solely casual player like me.
  • DAZ0273
    Unless you are an established 4* player with minimal roster slots pressure all of the limited characters are pure trophy characters. Sure Taskmaster is fun, Spider-Ham is wacky, Howard can be useful and Devil Dinosaur Dino is terrible but a badge of honour. You won't use any of them. So it comes down to completion . Taskmaster is one of my favourite villains so he has value for me that others would not see.

So if you have room and expect to be here playing in another year (assuming the game lasts that long) then have fun and roster, if you need the roster slots otherwise though they are all disposable.
  • TPF Alexis
    The main value of Devil Dino is that you get a ton of covers every Anniversary, and if you've got her champed, that means a ton of champ rewards. If you can afford to devote a Roster slot to that once-yearly windfall, she's worth it. Otherwise, not.
    I feel like if someone ever managed to get Taskmaster champed early enough in 4* land, he could be worthwhile, but because he's limited, it's essentially impossible to get him champed before you have other 4* champs so far ahead of him that he'll never really measure up.
    None of them are necessary in any meaningful way, tho.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited October 2019
    Some time ago, Devil D used to have that arm-wiggle power only costing 3ap. When that was the case, it was actually interesting to trigger passives that went off any time an ally fired a power (in those days, maybe Kamala Khan's passive? OML's strike spam? Today Magik would like that, and of course Wakanda Forever! which may have been the reason it was changed, I don't recall the timeline on that)

Howard the Duck you'll be seeing throughout the year as Webbed Wonder re-runs, and he actually IS mechanically interesting. In my opinion, he is a re-balance away from being meta-adjacent: He has expensive powers that don't do much damage, but they come with some interesting effects.

If his blue were about 4AP cheaper, it would be pretty great for clearing out 4ocket strike spam with the associated stun. You could run him with Bishop, and use his stun instead of Bishops for a lower turn count, but the advantage of stun-clear.

Quack-Fu can bankrupt the board of green pretty quick - I don't think it's overly valuable as a damaging move, it's more about board control. This could save your bacon if you have the AP banked up, and there is a Don't Push This Button! tile on the board.

Duck, Duck, Loose is also pretty interesting - invis spam is rare. It drops them on 4 purple tiles, so if  you're running G4mora with him, suddenly you have a targeted purple spam ability for triggering Deadliest Woman to go along with her black and blue. Probably not "better" for that than Kamala Khan's purple, but still, it's a thing. Also Ghost likes having invis tiles to eat and regain health, though her purple is 2AP cheaper than this (and she is a commandingly more effective killer). 

Mysterio may help you feed Howard the Duck (i'm snickering to myself as i type this lol). Also Vulture or IM40. But having said all that, NONE of these limiteds, i think by design, are actually going to be mega-helpful.
  • Beerman63
    Thx for the insight, so my impression that basically the limited characters are nice to have, but not extremly helpful and probably not worth blocking a roster slot. Guess I'll get rid of them when I need the space.
    Also I got the luxury problem that I (I think rather often) get 5* characters whenever I open some tokens. 
    Currently I got Hela (1 black) Capt. Marvel (2 green) and Prof X (2 purple). I actually don't see much use in rostering alot of 5*s, as they are only helpful with together with Thanos for the speedy dismissal of lvl 23 characters in PVE. Now I got another one (Green Goblin), but I think I will let him go cause Hela (her black I like quite alot) and Prof X (new character) are set and Capt. Marvel I already got 2 covers...  

• TPF Alexis
    The other important thing that 5* Characters do is unlock the 5* Essential node in PvE. That has really good Node Rewards, makes it significantly easier to hit full Progression, and is vital if you actually want to compete.
  • DAZ0273
    The other important thing that 5* Characters do is unlock the 5* Essential node in PvE. That has really good Node Rewards, makes it significantly easier to hit full Progression, and is vital if you actually want to compete.
    Caveat on this: Playing SCL7 with a 5E will not help your score in a significant way but the first 2 rewards are good and worth playing for. If you can play SCL8 and clear the 5E this WILL significantly impact your score.