New Feature Coming - Targeting Heroes

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    Demiurge is also the developer on a similar game to MPQ, SEGA Heroes.  In fact, some of the new game engine was borrowed/copied from that game.

That game has a shard system of character collection.  In that game there are 4 tiers, needing 15, 25, 50, or 65 shards to unlock or level a character. 

Of course they could be looking at something different here, and I don't want to make any assumptions about the numbers, or design or anything else.  But it makes me very suspicious that a shard system is what they are working on.

I really hope this new system is on top of bonus heroes vs replacing them......the fact is that it has gotten continually harder to get the covers you want in this game and if there isn't something introduced that actually makes things better (not just feels better) then players will just keep losing ground.  And of course I recognize that the game needs to make money, that it needs to be not-easy to get what you want etc but at the same time they should tacitly acknowledge the situation the game is in and how dilution has impacted players' ability to progress their rosters.
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    If they replace Bonus Heroes, the system would have to have a lower structure to counter losing the odds on a Bonus Hero. Otherwise this whole new system is moot.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    Demiurge is also the developer on a similar game to MPQ, SEGA Heroes.  In fact, some of the new game engine was borrowed/copied from that game.

That game has a shard system of character collection.  In that game there are 4 tiers, needing 15, 25, 50, or 65 shards to unlock or level a character. 

Of course they could be looking at something different here, and I don't want to make any assumptions about the numbers, or design or anything else.  But it makes me very suspicious that a shard system is what they are working on.

I really hope this new system is on top of bonus heroes vs replacing them......the fact is that it has gotten continually harder to get the covers you want in this game and if there isn't something introduced that actually makes things better (not just feels better) then players will just keep losing ground.  And of course I recognize that the game needs to make money, that it needs to be not-easy to get what you want etc but at the same time they should tacitly acknowledge the situation the game is in and how dilution has impacted players' ability to progress their rosters.
    Interesting. This new feature sounds similar to the shards thing you are talking about. Like you can get 1/65th of a 4* cover. My question is, in Sega Heroes how do the shards drop (progression, placement, opening tokens, etc.), how frequently (every time X happens?), and are they universal (I.e. I can put them toward any character and higher tiers cost more) or tier specific? Any more insight you can give into Sega Heroes might give some insight. 
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    The devil will be in the details.  Sounds encouraging but won't know until the entire program is rolled out.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 491 Mover and Shaker

I've been saying for years that MPQ needs a system like this.  They had this type of system in Marvel Avengers Alliance where after drawing a certain number of duplicate covers to get a locked hero or villain you were guaranteed to draw a cover you didn't have already.
    Lockbox Heroes!!
    Like this game, I ran a sheet of how many ISO I needed as new Lockbox heroes were released.
    Like with all RNG systems, I got them under the average, and sometimes not.  Think my best one was only needing like 90 total ISO (the average was 120 or so).  But at least there was a top end that guaranteed you the hero if you had **** enough RNG.
    Ah those were the days...

I miss A:AA every now and then.
    Coming up on the 3 year anniversary of its shut down (October 2016).  It's been that long already?
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2019

I've been saying for years that MPQ needs a system like this.  They had this type of system in Marvel Avengers Alliance where after drawing a certain number of duplicate covers to get a locked hero or villain you were guaranteed to draw a cover you didn't have already.
    Lockbox Heroes!!
    Like this game, I ran a sheet of how many ISO I needed as new Lockbox heroes were released.
    Like with all RNG systems, I got them under the average, and sometimes not.  Think my best one was only needing like 90 total ISO (the average was 120 or so).  But at least there was a top end that guaranteed you the hero if you had tinykitty enough RNG.
    Ah those were the days...

I miss A:AA every now and then.
    Coming up on the 3 year anniversary of its shut down (October 2016).  It's been that long already?
    Hey, someone else who remember the glory days of A;AA!  I miss it too, but in some ways I'm kind of glad it ended.  Between MPQ and that game I was spending soooo much time grinding.
  • Falconfreak
    Falconfreak Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
    I hope this new system makes it easier and realistic to find the covers you need for whatever the target hero is.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:

Interesting. This new feature sounds similar to the shards thing you are talking about. Like you can get 1/65th of a 4* cover. My question is, in Sega Heroes how do the shards drop (progression, placement, opening tokens, etc.), how frequently (every time X happens?), and are they universal (I.e. I can put them toward any character and higher tiers cost more) or tier specific? Any more insight you can give into Sega Heroes might give some insight. 
    The game is structured so differently from MPQ that I don't think it would be that helpful to dig into it.  (I also only dabbled in it, and haven't really done anything in it in a while.)  If I recall you get chests from nodes and finishing paths that sometimes contain shards, which always are character-specific.  You don't pick from which ones you want etc.  I also have only played the non-placement PVE side.  The game is so different; every time you log in you are seeing the current bundles they are promoting, for example.  You also get a chest every 3 hours that you can open which seems to contain a shard every time.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    A number of match-3 RPG games have similar shard systems to power up their characters. Typically, it involves about 150-200 covers to reach the final form of those characters. I know of one that give X exp points for character of the same class, and X+Y exp points for that exact character. Most of them involve opening packs or getting covers by playing nodes,  and then storing those character covers in an inventory. Finally, those cards will be merged to create a stronger character.

I think the more important question is, is this feature an add-on, or will this involve debuffing some other feature(s) or the removal of other feature? I'm going with the latter.  :p

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    I guess that means one of the songs that the Maggia sings in Howard the Duck's PvE is "Damn, It Feels Good To Be a Gangsta."  Does that mean Kingpin is Lundberg?
  • grumbLEGO
    grumbLEGO Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    dingo said:
    My question is, will this be like Shield Clearance Levels? Remember when SCL first came our we were given a rank  based on something....? I don't remember the criteria. Which translated into a bunch of iso. I remember receiving around 300K or more.  Will we be prorated with rewards based on some sort of level?.... Not to jump to conclusions.... 
    this is my question as well. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll be very cusious to see how this differs from Bonus Heroes...
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    £$
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, however it works I just hope it doesn't take forever and a day to level up.
  • HoundofShadow
    It will take at least about a month or two for 4* and 5*.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony_Foot said:
    £$
    I can see it now. A vault, but you pick what goes in it!

And then you pay money to draw stuff out of it! Yay! =D
  • HoundofShadow
    Using available information:

1. Players receive one 5* cover every 90 days after hitting certain in-game days.

2. Direct Purchase of unlocked cover cost 720CP

3. HfH cost 250 or 500cp

4. Using average non-top players as a rough guide, they earn 30CP in PvPs per week and about ~80CP in PvEs per week.  That's about 440CP per month. It will take about 7 weeks to hit 720CP.

I believe it will be tied to SR in order to unlock the different tiers because I find it unlikely they will allow new players to target 5* characters at low SR.

I also believe that there will be a capped on how much we can "progress" per day with Targeting Heroes. Players who want to unlock the cap will probably pay ISO-8 to unlock them. This helps to solve the problem of players with excessive ISO-8.

The point is: don't get your hopes too high and expect to gain 1 5* cover every week. I'll put it at between 2 to 3 months.