Feedergate

Comments

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    theomen said:
    @Houndofshadow how do you know he 'roughly' hinted if you haven't read it? Here it is:
    Ice:  No word on feeders. Not saying there are/are not, but this is only week one of the Anniversary stuff.
    User: FEEDERS CONFIRMED!!!!
    User 2: I think IceIX said "all remaining five stars get feeders in Week 2 of the anniversary"
    Ice: Yeah. That. Which I didn't say. But I guess I did?
    You can interpret this however you want. To me what matters is that people have been asking for feeders for months, the devs knew we wanted them for the anniversary and then they didn't even bother to tell us we weren't getting them.
    I would interpret that as ice saying he is not confirming or denying feeders then explicitly shutting down someone's attempt at putting words in his mouth.
  • theomen
    theomen Posts: 99 Match Maker
    As I said, how you interpret it doesn't matter, although I would agree with @tiomono's reading. What matters is the dev team knew we wanted feeders for the anniversary and didn't communicate that there wouldn't be any. If they had it could have saved a lot of bad feeling.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    I'm curious, how do you determine whether something will or will not happen if you do not have conclusive evidence at that point of time? IceIX couldn't at that point of time.

The dev answered that there won't be any on Friday and the anniversary ends on next Monday. They gave a conclusive answer before the anniversary ends.

The players assumed that there would be a feeder and self-hyped it.

• ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    I just would ask to anyone posting Discord conversations to do it in fully so people can understand the context (which will still won't make sense most of the time if you weren't there).
    For that particular Ice quote, he wasn't teasing nor confirming/denying anything, we were just joking around with him after he posted the anniversary 1st week schedule and there wasn't any announcements about potential feeders.
  • theomen
    edited October 2019
    I'm curious, how do you determine whether something will or will not happen if you do not have conclusive evidence at that point of time? IceIX couldn't at that point of time.

The dev answered that there won't be any on Friday and the anniversary ends on next Monday. They gave a conclusive answer before the anniversary ends.

The players assumed that there would be a feeder and self-hyped it.

Well, I would hope that a big event like the anniversary is planned out more than a week in advance. Assuming you believe the reason we were given for no feeders (there was no obvious choice) then evidence has nothing to do with anything. Evidence of what? If that really was the reason, why couldn't Ice say a week into the anniversary?
    The players were told there might be a feeder and feeders are for special occasions. We also asked repeatedly for them in advance so I can see why people are disappointed.
    @Sm0keyJ0e the devs aren't obliged to communicate at all. However, since this was something they knew people wanted and they made it seem like it might happen, a little communication may have been a good idea when they decided against it.
  • theomen
    ursopro said:
    I just would ask to anyone posting Discord conversations to do it in fully so people can understand the context (which will still won't make sense most of the time if you weren't there).
    For that particular Ice quote, he wasn't teasing nor confirming/denying anything, we were just joking around with him after he posted the anniversary 1st week schedule and there wasn't any announcements about potential feeders.
    Fair enough Ursopro. I was just trying to illustrate that the devs knew we wanted feeders for the anniversary.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    To me, feeders are a luxury. Guaranteed color-specific 5* covers? That's huge. I'm happy when we get them, but I always felt it was very generous and weird it wasn't setup to be the last 3 rewards to max-champ status to encourage more spending. 
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    theomen said:
    Fair enough Ursopro. I was just trying to illustrate that the devs knew we wanted feeders for the anniversary.
    No problem, it really is all the same in the other side of the coin, like some devs apologists are saying that maybe Anthony was jesting around with the no obvious feeder response, he was not.

I asked him a serious question and I want to believe he gave me a serious answer.
  • theomen
    edited October 2019
    ursopro said:
    theomen said:
    No problem, it really is all the same in the other side of the coin, like some devs apologists are saying that maybe Anthony was jesting around with the no obvious feeder response, he was not.

I asked him a serious question and I want to believe he gave me a serious answer.
    It seems like he did. What did you make of his answer? It didn't make much sense to me.
  • theomen
    @Daredevil217 you said it all! I completely agree.
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    I'm reading that segment of the discord chat, and Anthony also asked for further clarification regarding one complaint being the anniversary's "communication not being the greatest."  I interpret Anthony's response as him thinking communication has been satisfactory/adequate, so when the board almost unanimously agrees there's been a drop in communication, there's a disconnect on multiple levels.

I get it, though.  Not announcing ANY news on feeders, is better than announcing zero feeders, to keep speculation high.  
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

Many things to complain about right now, but getting bent over them not saying what they will do in the future seems silly. We have also asked for untimed PVE events for years, long before 5* feeders were even a thing... why not start a thread asking why they haven't told us that they're not going to fix them?
    Because they didn’t tell us we’d get untimed PVE events during special celebrations only and then not give us an untimed event during anniversary. If they did, then threads about “why weren’t we informed there would be no untimed event!?” would be warranted (though ironically we did get one with “Best in Class”). Asking for developers to communicate what they won’t do, after commenting on what they would (and don’t deliver) is completely justified imo. 

Expecting any new and/or better communication from these guys is hope better spent elsewhere. Red from Shawshank said it best: "Hope is a dangerous thing. Drive a man insane."

I'll have to concede I missed where they explained their 5* feeders rationale. Can you please link me the official quote from the forum where they said 5* feeders would be coming with special events? I most certainly missed that.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

Many things to complain about right now, but getting bent over them not saying what they will do in the future seems silly. We have also asked for untimed PVE events for years, long before 5* feeders were even a thing... why not start a thread asking why they haven't told us that they're not going to fix them?
    Because they didn’t tell us we’d get untimed PVE events during special celebrations only and then not give us an untimed event during anniversary. If they did, then threads about “why weren’t we informed there would be no untimed event!?” would be warranted (though ironically we did get one with “Best in Class”). Asking for developers to communicate what they won’t do, after commenting on what they would (and don’t deliver) is completely justified imo. 

Expecting any new and/or better communication from these guys is hope better spent elsewhere. Red from Shawshank said it best: "Hope is a dangerous thing. Drive a man insane."

I'll have to concede I missed where they explained their 5* feeders rationale. Can you please link me the official quote from the forum where they said 5* feeders would be coming with special events? I most certainly missed that.
    I’m fairly sure that was addressed on the podcast interview. 
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    jp1 said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

Thank you, I don't listen to those. Are they considered official announcements/information? Apologies for being unfamiliar with them. I thought the forums were "official" and everything else, like Discord convos, were just devs being devs and chatting about the game or doughnuts or whatever.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    jp1 said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

Thank you, I don't listen to those. Are they considered official announcements/information? Apologies for being unfamiliar with them. I thought the forums were "official" and everything else, like Discord convos, were just devs being devs and chatting about the game or doughnuts or whatever.
    I don’t know to be honest. I remember there being a list of “off limit” topics, so I assume it was somewhat official.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    I often feel let down by lack of communication but then I remind myself of all the other games I play where because I didn't seek out a forum I play from the breaking news tab when launching the game. I guess that's how 95% of the user base for this game get their info too.

I'm guessing most people that play this game have no Idea what's coming until it hits the game. So why do we forum users think we deserve to be told what's not coming ahead of time?

Also although free stuff is better than no stuff, perhaps the poll results suggest what I've thought for so long, feeders impact such a small amount of people they didn't care to vote for it. Perhaps they are actually listening to their players.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought it would be cool to select the feeder you'd want when you champion a character out of a limited selection.

For instance;

Right now 2* magneto only feeds 3* magneto. Lets say you champion another copy of 2* mags and the game gives you a choice of , 3* mags, Beast or psylocke. That way if your 3* magneto is at 266, you can opt to work on another character, cause we all know how fast we can cycle through two stars.

Now if you apply that to the 3*tier, you can give each character a choice of two feeders ( i think there is 47 3*s and 90 4*s,  you get the point) then technically everyone in the 3* field has a feeder option for 4*s and it gives you more incentive to turn and burn 3* to build up other 4 stars.

Just a thought...