Flash

Options
starfall
starfall Posts: 1,727 Chairperson of the Boards
Wait, you don't get to use Flash cards unless you opponent has an attacking creature?!

Flash is a niche enough effect in MTGPQ without being further limited like this. You should definitely be able to use a Flash card on any opponent's turn.

If you're interested, I was wanting to play Masterful Replication during my opponent's turn to give it semi-haste; i.e. to ensure it wouldn't get shot before it attacked at least once.

Comments

• OmegaLolrus
    OmegaLolrus Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There's also one of the Ley Lines that gives a spell half it's Mana if it's drawn during your opponent's turn. I hadn't gotten around to trying to use it yet...

Forgot about that little detail for flash spells.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, they've always been like that.  Triggers on each attacking creature, which is really annoying if you don't want to cast something.

I assume that it was easier to program that than adding extra stops between steps to trigger Flash stuff.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can't imagine it would be THAT hard to change it so that flash triggers after your opponent finishes making matches rather than when a creature attacks. It's really annoying right now if I don't want to cast a spell with flash to dismiss the prompt for all three attacking creatures for all flash spells in hand.

Also it's a bit annoying if I have two flash kill spells charged up in hand, if I kill the only attacking creature with the first spell that I'm still prompted to kill it again with the second flash spell.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter said:
    I can't imagine it would be THAT hard to change it so that flash triggers after your opponent finishes making matches rather than when a creature attacks. It's really annoying right now if I don't want to cast a spell with flash to dismiss the prompt for all three attacking creatures for all flash spells in hand.

Also it's a bit annoying if I have two flash kill spells charged up in hand, if I kill the only attacking creature with the first spell that I'm still prompted to kill it again with the second flash spell.
    I'm not a programmer, so I can't be sure but I have a feeling the turn phases aren't clearly separated like they are in paper Magic (or on Arena, for that matter).  It might be that the first phase change is creatures attacking.

Then again, it used to be that all "on attack" triggers happened simultaneously before any creature attacked.  I think it was Oktagon that removed that feature (to great complaint at the time, since a lot of cards became mostly useless as a result).  I wonder if putting that back would resolve a lot of this issue since I assume Flash would then trigger once before any creature attacks (very similar to your solution, but it'll be after your opponent casts stuff)
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I always wish we could choose how to layer the stack when we have priority.  So many matches could be more optimally played.

Probably would be too complicated for this game however.
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I wish Flash had conditions. Such as "Flash: opponent casts a spell" or "Flash: one of your creatures dies." That way the trigger could relate to the what the card actually does. Probably tricky to implement, but would make the cards a lot better
  • Stalker
    Stalker Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Be careful what you ask for. I have played a game on my phone that is 100% non multiplayer and doesn’t need cell or wifi. Has way more animations and actions at any given time than in mtgpq. My battery life and phone temp is great playing it. 

So it is pretty clear that to keep hackers/cheaters from ruining your fun and their pocket books, the always communicating for everything in the game with the server is the culprit. Probably why wifi drops a little of the load from your phone and allows a bit better performance. 

So everything extra the game has to do is just more stress on everything else. What may seem simple to us may be another slow down in reality.
  • Panneo
    Panneo Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Let flash trigger on attaking creatures (no changes there) and one time at the end of the opponents turn. We already had effects at the end of the round.