Good Partners for Mysterio

TPF Alexis
TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
I've been thinking about Mysterio recently, since he's been coming up in a number of threads. I've been maintaining that he's actually good, just narrowly focused, and wanted to think of some good partners for him. His main strength, I feel, is as a yellow and purple battery, but there aren't all that many Characters who really need those colours. The Traps are also worth consideration, but the number of teams that Invisibility has synergy with is small enough that I'll mostly leave that out. Mostly going to be keeping this to the 4* tier, with one major exception.
Starting off with that exception, like almost all Characters, he works better with Okoye. He can feed her yellow to heal, she can buff the damage from his Traps. This is actually also one of the situations where the Invisibility has some synergy, since while he's Invisible, he can match blue or purple without pushing her to the back and losing TU AP.
Looking at the Purple/Yellow/Black 4*, the only one that jumps out at all is Widow. Kingpin and C&D are yellow batteries anyhow, and use their purple to generate yellow, so that seems kind of counterproductive. Frost is just a no. Widow can def use the AP, but she's also a support character, so this would need to have them both in support of someone else, and I'm not really sure who I'd want that to be.
Most of the other blue/purple/yellow Characters want to actually use their blue AP, and the remaining few don't really need much. Maybe some fit with Coulson, but that's about all I can see. Full colour overlap is often kind of awkward to work with as well. Dropping down to 3*, I could see a fit with Falcon, but it doesn't really feel worthwhile, and the decent thirds to round out either don't work well with the other, I think.
Green/Purple/Yellow has the first really good fit, I think. Actually, I think he'd work reasonably well with most of the 3*/5* characters here, but the one who really stands out to me is MEHulk. Wants yellow, really wants purple, has plenty of board shake to make setting off Traps more likely, and has a small, but non-negligible chance of generating blue with his yellow to keep the cycle going.
Red/Yellow/Purple has the other two I think could work well with him. Ironically, they're allies of his nemesis, but hey, we can make whatever combos we want in MPQ. Both Gwen and Miles will take all the yellow and purple they can get, and neither cares about blue. Depending on the third, Miles also opens the possibility of making your entire team Invisible for at least a couple of turns, which is gimmicky, but potentially amusing/useful.
So, yeah, pretty narrow use case, but I def want to give those three a try next time I'm slumming it in SCL7, or maybe even in SCL9 if they're boosted soon. Especially MEHulk, since I've always liked playing him anyhow.

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    I've been using MEHulk in Mysterio's Featured node. Works pretty well!
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I was down in SCL7 for the last PVE Mysterio was featured in, Mysterio/Vulture/Blonde Widow worked as well as I hoped they would (I was using the loaner Mysterio, as mine is still terrible).  With her stun batons, Widow can go invisible for free, so you can easily have two characters invisible and one airborne, plus with Widow's yellow countdown active, Vulture generates 4 black and only needs 3 to take off again.  Widow even makes her own yellow cheaper if you fire it the last turn before the countdown expires.  Vulture is your only legitimate damage dealer, but you can't have everything, right?
  • TPF Alexis
    Sounds like potentially a good one to grind down otherwise nearly impossible fights when time isn't an issue. I don't have the Stun Batons, tho, which makes it a lot harder to keep them both Invisible.
  • Kletvar
    Kletvar Posts: 91 Match Maker
    edited October 2019

Starting off with that exception, like almost all Characters, he works better with Okoye. He can feed her yellow to heal, she can buff the damage from his Traps. This is actually also one of the situations where the Invisibility has some synergy, since while he's Invisible, he can match blue or purple without pushing her to the back and losing TU AP.
    The sad thing about his traps is that they don't deal damage when they are destroyed, despite the description saying they deal damage when they are destroyed. During the previous pvp events, I tried pairing him with storm or She-Hulk. They both have abilities to destroy tiles. When his traps were getting destroyed by Storm/She-Hulk, they didn't trigger to deal damage. It just said "Trap disarmed" and that was it. And it's frustrating because it turns out to be.
    If this is changed and his ability acts as it's description says, he will be much useful character and hopefully see more play.
    He will also be nice partner to Okoye. Not the best, but good enough to have fun playing with.

@IceIX , i think you should report this "destroyed but not triggered" problem/bug to the developers.

3*s that make a good team with him are Thor and Luke cage. 3/5/5 Luke brings defense and black coverage. 3/5/5 Thor brings a lot of damage.

For 4*s i like Black Panther and Torch. A bit of overlap with the colors in the team, but not a big problem. Yellow and red maxed on Panther, yellow and green maxed on Torch. Mysterio provides yellow ap for Panther's yellow power, he makes repeater, Torch does his job with his passives after each power fired. Occasionally drop a green repeater for even more damage and that's it :D

• TPF Alexis
    The issue with the traps is a known bug. It was reported during his release event. Given some of the older bugs that still haven't seen any fixes, I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • Kletvar
    That sucks :/ 

• purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    his best friend is Bishop = Autostun.
     I like him with Widow and GED has very similar approach - heal and keep bishop in the game. 
    He does amazing with MEH but you have to tone down Gammabomb and make those CD's go to work.
    I like him with C&D for the yellow AoE, 

His bug really really hurts him. Otherwise he would be a great teammate to so many. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I team him up with Shuri and IM40 as a fun team. 

After all three IM40 CD tiles go off, you will have 12 red, 12 blue, 9 green and 3 purple. The next or current turn, one random opponent will be stunned for 2 turns due to Mysterio's passive stun.

After IM40 regains consciousness, you will have at least 10 yellow ap due to Mysterio's passive conversion of blue to yellow. Use Shuri's red once to reduce all ap cost by 2 or 3. You can now fire IM40 battery twice or thrice with 10aps. Then use Shuri's red to fortify those CD tiles. Then use Shuri's green to stun the opponent (18.75% chance).

If you can get at least 7 CD tiles to go off, which is highly likely based on my experience, you'll have 28 red, 28 blue, 21 green and 7 purple aps. By now, Mysterio can lay 10 trap tiles and the board should be at least 80% fortified. Shuri can stun all three opponents and Mysterio can back up as another stun and the cycle continues.

Note: I'm not sure if his fortified trap tiles deal damage if it get destroyed by Shuri's green, but if it did, it's great. 

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZootSax said:
    When I was down in SCL7 for the last PVE Mysterio was featured in, Mysterio/Vulture/Blonde Widow worked as well as I hoped they would (I was using the loaner Mysterio, as mine is still terrible).  With her stun batons, Widow can go invisible for free, so you can easily have two characters invisible and one airborne, plus with Widow's yellow countdown active, Vulture generates 4 black and only needs 3 to take off again.  Widow even makes her own yellow cheaper if you fire it the last turn before the countdown expires.  Vulture is your only legitimate damage dealer, but you can't have everything, right?
    My thought process upon reading this post:

1. "Hey, this sounds like a fun team.  I'll try this in one of the PvE nodes today."
    2. Scroll through roster to try and find the three characters, and put them on a team.
    3. Face three Mindless Ones.
    4. Vulture gets black very early to go Airbone, and starts generating blue.
    5. Mysterio takes the blue, so Vulture doesn't destroy three special tiles next time he goes airborne.
    6. Blond Widow also goes invisible once I get 7 purple AP.
    7. Green countdown tile goes off, which deals AoE to the invisible characters and the non-airborne Vulture.
    8. Sees three other green countdown tiles still on the board.
    9. "Hmmm...this is quite possibly the worst fight to use this team. Guess I should have thought of that beforehand."
    10. Retreat, and bring in Thorokoye/Strange to get my revenge.
    11. Because my list goes to eleven.

• Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    I team him up with Shuri and IM40 as a fun team. 

I don't have Shuri, but I have Black Cat. Goes pretty much the same, maybe faster with Black Cat's green one-shoting stunned opponents.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Dr. Doom 5* and Bishop.  Endless way to heal Bishop. Bishop and Doom (Black) are the damage dealers, with a bit of Mysterios traps thrown in.   I never stun anyone (usually) with the blue, I just let it all turn into yellow and then heal Bishop back to max health.  Rinse and repeat.  Isn't a fast team but I hardly ever lose in the Sim with it and rarely get attacked (thanks Bishop).  I usually have to heal Bishop but Mysterio and Doom don't really take damage since Bishop soaks it all and Doom self heals.  Only threats are major nukes than an take Bishop down in one turn.
  • Falconfreak
    Falconfreak Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Mysterio
    Shuri
    IM40

I have played this for months and it is really fun. 
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Warbringa said:
    Dr. Doom 5* and Bishop.  Endless way to heal Bishop. Bishop and Doom (Black) are the damage dealers, with a bit of Mysterios traps thrown in.   I never stun anyone (usually) with the blue, I just let it all turn into yellow and then heal Bishop back to max health.  Rinse and repeat.  Isn't a fast team but I hardly ever lose in the Sim with it and rarely get attacked (thanks Bishop).  I usually have to heal Bishop but Mysterio and Doom don't really take damage since Bishop soaks it all and Doom self heals.  Only threats are major nukes than an take Bishop down in one turn.
    Would this work with another Yellow healer for those who don't have 5* Doom? I can think of 3* beast, but there may be others.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,124 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rescue can sort of do it, but Bishop eats the protects so they don't stay out for long. OML might benefit from a yellow accelerant, though he wouldn't help you with Bishop's health. Karolina Dean heals on yellow, and it adds protects to the board which can further fuel Mysterio. 

I do think using Doom, if you have the Victorious support, has the hidden benefit of doing AOE damage any time you heal team mates with it.
  • TPF Alexis
    Karolina Dean heals on yellow, and it adds protects to the board which can further fuel Mysterio. 

The passive part of her yellow boosts healing, but all the active does is make Protects. Her green is the one that actually does the healing.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Oh dang, missed that. I just champed Mysterio, so maybe I'll figure out some good gimmick teams for him based on actual use.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Can confirm: Doom/Mysterio/Bishop is fun, but a Baby Bishop can’t hang in 5* simulator long
  • Kletvar
    edited March 2020
    Okoye and Storm would be great partners for Mysterio if his traps triggered when they are destroyed. @Tombstone
     said that the devs are told about the problem (https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/78964/mysterio-purple-devs-aware#latest) , but it's been one month and the issue is still not fixed. I doubt it will ever be fixed.

4* Black Panther, and 4*Human Torch is also interesting duo that goes well with Mysterio.