Why Remove the Legacy Non-Dupe Pack???

Options
From the 3.8 release notes:

Event Changes

Planechasing Fblthp
Booster reward has been updated from Legacy Non-Duplicate to Regular M20 Booster Pack.

WHY would you actively remove a feature we enjoy? And why would you remove a highly valued pack and replace it with something that will have little value in a matter of weeks??

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Volrak said:
    If you spent your non-dupe pack on 5 MPs (though some people chose to redeem sooner, for less), then for one easy pve game, we were getting the equivalent of 2,000 (legacy-locked) jewels.  To gain those 5 MPs from packs via crystals would take (on average) upwards of 60,000 crystals. In dollar terms, that's around $2,000.

It's mind-boggling to me that they chose to give such staggeringly good rewards, for so little effort, for so long, while attracting such meagre gratitude.
    Seriously.  I was shocked that such a dumb event gave such ludicrous rewards.  I'm definitely not happy that we're losing it, but I totally understand.
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah, I think we're all unhappy to see it go but we all also had the sense that it was "too good" relative to other rewards in the game.
  • TheBigBad
    TheBigBad Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Volrak said:
    If you spent your non-dupe pack on 5 MPs (though some people chose to redeem sooner, for less), then for one easy pve game, we were getting the equivalent of 2,000 (legacy-locked) jewels.  To gain those 5 MPs from packs via crystals would take (on average) upwards of 60,000 crystals. In dollar terms, that's around $2,000.

It's mind-boggling to me that they chose to give such staggeringly good rewards, for so little effort, for so long, while attracting such meagre gratitude.
    I like your logic that arrived at that $2,000 -- albeit a bit extreme.  Really, it's a VIP purchase -- and that includes standard non-dupe booster(s) as well.  I suppose they're hoping that's where people will turn to.

Stormcrow said:
    Yeah, I think we're all unhappy to see it go but we all also had the sense that it was "too good" relative to other rewards in the game.
    Agreed.
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    not trashing their own economy so much but allowing more long term players a decent reward that statistically will help new players less overall. most of us have the cards we want/need and just need to finish up the sets
  • KingGrace
    KingGrace Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I had no idea until the very end. Because it was such a small, simple event, I took it for granted. *Ashamed face"
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    meh...I always figured it was their way to help newer players to be a little more competitive in Legacy events, and to not be as discouraged when they face down a Pigliviarich-wielding opponent... ;)
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    tbh Ithought they had done it due to a realization that legacy either needed a major rebalance (a whole lot of work) or they needed to get more legacy cards into the hands of players to be competitive. 

If Vorlak's math is correct and 5 MP's are worth $2000, we should be hanging our heads in disgust because that's pretty gross considering how many MP's are in the game.

As for me, I'm fortunate to have a few of the power staples in legacy so I can whir -> omni with everyone else, but I'm still working through the rares which Fblthp was helping with so I'm still missing a ton (90 mythics and 38 MP's after the rares). Trying to crush the rares so the non-dupe vip member packs only open mythic and above.

Removing this reward basically revives the barrier of entry into legacy for any new or even moderately newish player. The volume of cards is just vast (and about to increase again). So I'd like to see them either rebalance legacy, remove legacy events (haha people would riot), match opponents by cardpool, or rethink this decision/find another way to help people catch up in legacy (like scaling rewards based on how many sets are in legacy).

I thought the Fblthp pack was a very sensible reward. It helped new and F2P players start to collect legacy and it encouraged paying players to buy crystals to crack packs for the mana orbs so that they could power through all the commons, uncommons, and rares (which I can assure from personal experience, is actually really expensive). So now the walls have been brought back up and because they're so high and insurmountable, there's zero reason to throw money at mana orbs because you can't leverage the Fblthp pack anymore.
  • morgue427
    Options
    then i should be proud i cashed in hard on it, the only reason i played it really was for the non dupe, all told i got like 15 mythics from it and 30 mps, grinning every time it came up lol
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I understand the reward reduction, though I don't like it.  Reducing the nondupe legacy packs to a guaranteed 1 nondupe would still keep the excitement, while accomplishing octagon's goal of reduced payout.

Fblthp event made me spend money again, when I thought I was finished buying game content.  It was a good strategy on the developers part to have featured the nondupe packs, it brought people back
  • morgue427
    Options
    and you are right even at one non dupe i would still be all over Philip (what i call him lol)
  • Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I really like the idea of a single non dupe. That would be a very good reward for such a small event.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby, since you are going to have a firsthand role in the direction of the game, what do you think about the single nondupe idea for the Fblthp event?
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    TheBigBad said:

I like your logic that arrived at that $2,000 -- albeit a bit extreme.  Really, it's a VIP purchase
    The dollars figure is just the expected cost if you chase legacy MPs via normal packs using crystals bought with real money.  I agree it's doubtful anyone actually plans to do this, but if they do, now they know how much to set aside, as a minimum. :P  The 2,000 jewel figure is more directly applicable.  And you would be right to say the value of non-dupe packs from leveling and VIP is just as huge, compared to the other possible ways of getting MPs.