HELP! Cannot use my Iron Man 40 cover to train

I have a level 66 Iron Man 40. I also have an untrained (level 1) yellow Iron Man 40 cover.

It was sent to my rewards and set to expire, so I sent it to my roster so it would not expire. But now, I cannot use the cover at all to train my level 66 Iron Man. What happened???

PLEASE HELP! My yellow cover now appears to be totally unusable. I can't send it back to "rewards" and I can't train with it. I used to be able to train my characters just fine, but not with my Iron Man 40.

This is incredibly frustrating, as every Iron Man 40 cover is incredibly hard to get.

Comments

• With covers in the rewards list you can do one of two things - use them to train a character, or create a new copy of that character. If you choose the second, you can't then also use the cover to train a character.
  • What the hell? I used to be able to use my characters in my collection to train my other characters without problem. I had NO IDEA that sending my "reward" to "collection" would completely destroy it (prevent me from training with it).

This is crazy. Is there any way I can get my cover back, because right now my hard earned cover appears to be useless, apparently because the game suddenly, and without warning changed the rules on me for no good reason.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    What the hell? I used to be able to use my characters in my collection to train my other characters without problem. I had NO IDEA that sending my "reward" to "collection" would completely destroy it (prevent me from training with it).

This is crazy. Is there any way I can get my cover back, because right now my hard earned cover appears to be useless, apparently because the game suddenly, and without warning changed the rules on me for no good reason.
    Put in a ticket please using the Feedback Form in the game. I will say though, that the Patch Notes were linked when the patch went live and have been available since then, and a Patch Preview had much the same information. These changes were detailed in those notes, so this was not without warning.
  • IceIX wrote:
    What the hell? I used to be able to use my characters in my collection to train my other characters without problem. I had NO IDEA that sending my "reward" to "collection" would completely destroy it (prevent me from training with it).

Put in a ticket please using the Feedback Form in the game. I will say though, that the Patch Notes were linked when the patch went live and have been available since then, and a Patch Preview had much the same information. These changes were detailed in those notes, so this was not without warning.

Well I had no idea about this change, and honestly, I shouldn't have to visit forums and read patch notes to find out that playing the game as it had always been previously was suddenly going to destroy my valuable characters. I saw that "Collection" and "Cache" were being renamed, but I didn't know that I would no longer be able to use my characters to train other characters if they're in the "roster." I can't imagine what the purpose is behind such a change. It's a change that has no utility other than to punish players, particularly ones who had an established understanding from playing for a while that such an action wasn't going to ruin their characters.

I sent one ticket previously for a minor issue and got no response. I did go ahead and send another ticket for this issue, but if there is no response or no fix on this one, it is definitely a deal breaker for me and I'll be uninstalling. I worked hard to get that Iron Man cover, and now it's gone because of a very player-unfriendly stealth change.
  • Okay, so I went back and read the patch notes, and I see NOTHING explaining this change listed in there.

Here's what I read in the relevant section:

- Collection has been renamed to Roster. The Roster now only holds active characters. Any characters gained go into the Rewards Cache.
    - The Rewards Cache has been heavily revised.
    • Agents may now tap on any reward and see Character Info. This allows Agents to get a better idea of exactly what each reward is if they don't know offhand what a given Ability is.
    • Agents may Train an ability into an already recruited character directly from this menu instead of having to redeem the character first.
    • Agents may sell unneeded covers directly from this area without redeeming the character first.
    • Tapping the Star icon in the upper right of any reward allows an Agent to Recruit an additional copy of any character. This new character will take up a Cover Slot and be able to be trained just like any other character.

It says that you can use characters in rewards to train, but unless I missed it, it DOES NOT say that characters in the Collection/Roster can no longer be used to train. Even reading the patch notes carefully, I'm not sure how I was supposed to know about this change.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    Okay, so I went back and read the patch notes, and I see NOTHING explaining this change listed in there.

- Collection has been renamed to Roster. The Roster now only holds active characters. Any characters gained go into the Rewards Cache.
    • Agents may now tap on any reward and see Character Info. This allows Agents to get a better idea of exactly what each reward is if they don't know offhand what a given Ability is.
    • Agents may Train an ability into an already recruited character directly from this menu instead of having to redeem the character first.
    • Agents may sell unneeded covers directly from this area without redeeming the character first.
    • Tapping the Star icon in the upper right of any reward allows an Agent to Recruit an additional copy of any character. This new character will take up a Cover Slot and be able to be trained just like any other character.

It says that you can use characters in rewards to train, but unless I missed it, it DOES NOT say that characters in the Collection/Roster can no longer be used to train. Even reading the patch notes carefully, I'm not sure how I was supposed to know about this change.
    I can see why you misunderstood, but I'll attempt to explain the reasoning behind the wording on this. The Collection is now the Roster. Whereas before, everything there was a Comic Cover, it is now the place for your characters that are actually usable in combat. The Cache is now the place for any Comic Covers to be placed without using them in any other way. The Star icon allows you to take that Comic Cover and make it into a character. Until that is done, it is simply potential, and not a character. Once it is Recruited, it is a character and no longer potential.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Okay, so I went back and read the patch notes, and I see NOTHING explaining this change listed in there.

I can see why you misunderstood, but I'll attempt to explain the reasoning behind the wording on this. The Collection is now the Roster. Whereas before, everything there was a Comic Cover, it is now the place for your characters that are actually usable in combat. The Cache is now the place for any Comic Covers to be placed without using them in any other way. The Star icon allows you to take that Comic Cover and make it into a character. Until that is done, it is simply potential, and not a character. Once it is Recruited, it is a character and no longer potential.

Okay elaboration and explanation after the fact is all well and good, but it doesn't help in the least. The fact that remains that I have lost a very valuable character due to a change that wasn't even documented.

In fact, reading the language in the patch notes more carefully, I would even say the notes imply that you can still use characters in the roster to train other characters.

"Agents may Train an ability into an already recruited character directly from this menu instead of having to redeem the character first."

It says you MAY train from rewards, instead of HAVING to redeem first. This implies that training a character from rewards is merely a shortcut for training, but that you could still redeem first, and then train. Given that this was ENTIRELY the way to do it previously, one would assume you could still continue to do so until told otherwise. The notes don't even tell you otherwise. Given how destructive it is to recruit rather than train now, this should be in big bold highlighted letters somewhere, and there should probably be an in-game message warning you before you recruit and ruin your cover.

Sorry, but it is ridiculous to have my cover ruined and then be told that I was fairly warned about this change, because even the patch notes do not explain it.
  • I agree completely with you learned hand, but why not just train right away in the first place?
  • sms4002 wrote:
    I agree completely with you learned hand, but why not just train right away in the first place?

Because it was a yellow cover, and I do not have any blue covers yet. That means that training Iron Man 40 in yellow from 1 to 2 would increase the AP cost by 2, with virtually no benefit since it would just allow me to return blue AP, That's useless with no blue ability yet (at least not without using another character with a blue power--even then it's debatable). I didn't want to make my Iron Man worse, so I was delaying training him.

I think this highlights a design flaw in the game, with some abilities requiring higher AP as you raise their level. Those abilities get both better and worse at the same time when you train them, so it's not always to your benefit, especially when the benefit here is contingent on having another ability that you might not have yet.

I had been hoping to get the blue cover from the Avengers tournament this weekend, and then I would train up on yellow afterwards.
  • Okay, I got a response from support, but the response not only doesn't in ANY way address my issue (it's like they didn't even read my complaint), it actually seems to suggest that you can still use characters in your roster to train (which you can't now apparently).

Direct quote:
    The way the power system works in game is that your hero may only have a total of 13 points in their powers.

This can work out to look like 5/5/3 or 4/4/5 for example.
    You will not be able to raise all the powers to 5.

When combining covers they need to be compatible (for example old style Wolverine with old style Wolverine or New/New). To combine, click the training button on the cover and if you have a compatible cover it will combine as intended. Hope this clears things up for you!

Thanks!

D3Publisher Support Team

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us, visit our website at http://www.d3p.us/, or stop by our forums at http://www.d3pforums.com for more information.
  • If you didn't want to use the cover to train then just sell the duplicate character you created - you'd have had to sell the cover (due to it being about to expire), selling the character will get you the same amount of Iso and HP I think.

If you look at the Iron Man 40 thread, some people are not planning to increase the yellow skill from 1, due to the increase in cost.
  • Humphrey wrote:
    If you didn't want to use the cover to train then just sell the duplicate character you created - you'd have had to sell the cover (due to it being about to expire), selling the character will get you the same amount of Iso and HP I think.

If you look at the Iron Man 40 thread, some people are not planning to increase the yellow skill from 1, due to the increase in cost.

No, I don't want to sell it, I want to use it to train. I was simply delaying training from 1 to 2 until after I had at least one blue cover, so the blue AP return was actually a beneficial effect. Level 2 yellow is still overall worth upgrading to once I have the blue power, but not prior to it.
  • I agree with Learned Hand Completely. I actually preferred it when you can still choose trained covers to use for training. Training from the cache is only an advantage if you don't have enough space in your roster. But if i have enough space in my roster I would prefer my covers (for training) to be there since it won't expire from there. This would give me a choice on when I would like to use my cover.